Ideas for best linux distro for unraid client.

Thornwood

I have an old server and I am migrating to Linux 8). I looked at slackware and suse, I have also seen ubuntu. but I am looking for a distro I can grow with and learn. now I see that slack ware is still on kernel 2.6 and suse is on 3.1. I am looking for most power and easiest to network to unraid. the rest I will learn. any ideas that this comunity has even distros I have not mentioned are wellcome. (personal insight is also welcome.) ;D

Thornwood

So, what is your usecase with that box, apart from being a future unRAID client (which will be just mounting the FS, won't it?)

It's a server box...are you planning to run a server, headless, providing services, will it run a GUI or plain CLI...or do you plan to convert it to another desktop?

I want to create a client box to learn more Linux on. I have a kvm i can.use so as to be on the box. In my job i use a lot of qnx so being familiar with Linux is good. I also want to mabybe use xbmp and connect to a tv for video play back.

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk

If you want to run XBMC (XBMP was the Xbox specific version, now no longer under development as part of XBMC) then I suggest Ubuntu since that tends to be the main support Linux platform from that point of view, and it is in any case a well rounded Linux distribution.

+1 for ubuntu

As it comes to networking "powers", it is as good as all the other distros...just find out what tools you need, but everything should be in the repositories.

Ubuntu is debian based...most packages are available for debian or will build on it.

If you want to really do some networking stuff, like firewalls, zones, ip-filters and such...maybe a dedicated distro for these things is better...but that'll be not a box for running  XBMC frontend at the same time.

Archived