"Re-Install on Re-boot"

Hypknox

Just to clarify, this setting should NOT be enabled unless specifically listed in the unmenu pkg manager description or in another area such as the configuration wiki?

Examples of addons that I have set up -

screen - Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

apcupsd - Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

Clean Powerdown - Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

Monthly Parity Check - Currently Installed. Will NOT be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

pci utils (pci utilities) - Currently Installed. Will NOT be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

Just to clarify, this setting should NOT be enabled unless specifically listed in the unmenu pkg manager description or in another area such as the configuration wiki?

Examples of addons that I have set up -

screen - Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

apcupsd - Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

Clean Powerdown - Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

Monthly Parity Check - Currently Installed. Will NOT be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

pci utils (pci utilities) - Currently Installed. Will NOT be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

If you wish the monthly parity check to be in existence after you reboot, you should enable it.  (Hint: set it to re-install itself)

The pci utilities probably does not matter as much but basically if you reboot right now, those last two will not re-install themselves and will not be present.

Thanks Joe.  I'm not familiar with Linux so all of this is new to me.  I'm stuck in the mindset of "if something is already installed then it's not necessary to reinstall it."

I searched around and couldn't find a reason as to why the packages need to be reinstalled following a re-boot.  I just assumed that if it was crucial for the functionality of the addon that it would specify in the description (as some of them do) that it needs to be set to re-install on re-boot. So is there a reason you would want to set an addon to NOT re-install after a re-boot?  From what you're saying it sounds to me like any addon would always have that option enabled, if you want to have that functionality following a re-boot.  Then again there has to be a reason as to why it's an option to begin with so I know that can't be the case.

Thanks again Joe

afaik, the reason for reboot is because unraid is install on your ram, not usb disc. to maintain cleaner unraid installer, plugins/packages are separated from unraid. if you want the plugin/packages to auto install with unraid, you have to manually embed the plugins/packages installer into unraid.

there is no reason for not install plugin after reboot. its just there because that is how plugins work. if unmenu developer make the packages installer automatically install after reboot when you install plugins, it doesnt make any difference.

it does raise a question for the weird installer instruction as if there is something behind it when there is none.

maybe im wrong. correct me if im wrong.

The reasoning behind the install option is simply to have the choice to make a plugin "permanent" or not.

You can try a plugin first and simply reboot your system when it is not needed. This will remove it when the re-install is not set.

Ahh, ok now that makes sense. I did a restart to check and sure enough monthly parity check appeared in the list as if I had never installed it.  I assumed the addons were installed on the USB drive which made the reinstall on reboot confusing to me.

Archived