Folders moved from cache drive to array

Hi all.

I read a lot of threads but I can't find a solution to my problem. I simply created 3 folders for transmission (_downloads, _incomplete, _watch) on the cache drive and I modified the go script in this way (as I found in another thread)

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

unraid_notify start

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c 
/boot/unmenu/uu
sed -i 's@\[\.\]\/\[\^\.\]\.\*\/\.\*@[.]/[^._].*/.*@' /usr/local/sbin/mover
sed -i 's@\[\.\]\/\[\^\.\]\.\*@[.]/[^._].*@' /usr/local/sbin/mover

Well I noticed that all my files in /mnt/cache/_downloads are copied by the mover in /mnt/user/_downloads which is not good, because they are in the array there (right?)

Where am I wrong?

Using v. 5 rc2

If you want to put stuff on the cache drive and do not want to copy it to the array then start the directory name with a period, so

create a directory called ".Transmission" on the cachedrive, then all you transmission dirs under that..

I would advice that you set the "completed" directory to an array drive, that way every fully downloaded file is protected.

The problem is that I can't see "pre-dotted" folders on mac...

Another thing: if I set the download folder for transmission as /mnt/cache/Downloads, every day I would find downloaded files on my array.  But if I want to seed them? Can transmission "see" them again?

The problem is that I can't see "pre-dotted" folders on mac...

Another thing: if I set the download folder for transmission as /mnt/cache/Downloads, every day I would find downloaded files on my array.  But if I want to seed them? Can transmission "see" them again?

1) Must be some way of showing hidden folders?  But anyhow, you really do not need them to be visible right ?

2) /mnt/cache/downloads would be a weird location, you should place all your system dirs behind a .Transmission directory.. The downloaded files you would want on the aray so you would want them to be placed in a /mnt/user/ directory

But may I make another suggestion ?  You are probably pointing to the cache drive because you do not want the array to spin up ?  Unraid will only spin up the drives you need, I did it the following way:

Create a user-share called "Incomming", and limit that share to -1- disk in your array and set cache drive to NO. Then point your transmission directories to that dir.

This will give you the same effect of only 1 disk (+parity disk) spun up for transmission with the added bonus that all dirs are protected in the array. A lot easier...

In 5.0rc2 you can create the 3 shares without a . or _ starting the directory name and then in the share settings set them to be cache only. No mover script foolery required anymore.

As for your original problem, did you make it so the mover script would get modified every time you rebooted?

At the end I did this way:

1) I created a folder called .incomplete where transmission puts partial (.part) files on the cache drive.

2) when the file is downloaded, transmission puts it in the Download folder, located into the array (so protected).

In this way I can simply drag what I've downloaded in the directory I want, without moving files between disks.

easier than I expected :P

Thanks to everybody!

• 3 months later...

At the end I did this way:

1) I created a folder called .incomplete where transmission puts partial (.part) files on the cache drive.

2) when the file is downloaded, transmission puts it in the Download folder, located into the array (so protected).

In this way I can simply drag what I've downloaded in the directory I want, without moving files between disks.

easier than I expected :P

Thanks to everybody!

Hi ,

I’m having a similar issue, having just installed a new cache drive.

Goal:

1) Use cache drive for downloading torrents (using Transmission 0.0.2)  [side note: I’ve been using 4.7 with 0.0.2 for years with no trouble at all. I can't upgrade Transmission as latest version is not compatible with 4.7)

2) Have cache drive move the completed torrents onto a share drive (called “torrents”) as per mover schedule

Currently the torrents are bypassing the cache drive and going directly to the torrents share.

What I have done so far:

Created an unmoveable directory within the cache drive (prefixed with “.”)

/mnt/cache/.transmission/downloading (for incomplete torrents)

Set these variables inside Transmission (using unmenu package tool)

download-dir: /mnt/user/torrents/

incomplete-dir: /mnt/cache/.transmission/downloading

incomplete-dir-enabled: true

when I go to apply the edited variables, I get this message from unmenu:

Stopping Transmission deamon

/bin/cat: /var/run/transmission-daemon.pid: No such file or directory

kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]

cp: `/boot/custom/transmission/transmission_conf' and `/boot/custom/transmission/transmission_conf' are the same file

Starting Transmission deamon

As the behaviour that I am seeing appears to be that nothing has changed (before I installed the cache drive and made the above changes), I think my edited variables are not being used/stored by Transmission.

Any help is appredciated!

unmenu has a modify mover script to exclude "_" in the nightly move.

That no longer is effective in the 5.0beta series of unRAID.  It worked with the older 4.7 version and prior.

The unMENU package does no harm on current releases, but since the mover script has drastically changed, it has no effect either.

Joe L.

Archived