Houston i haz a problem. Red drive!

Hi guys,

My wife informed me tonight that our server had crashed.  The web interface was not responding, and Samba advertised all of the user shares, but I was unable to browse them.  I proceded to follow the instructions on the wiki to shut down the array from the command line, but it hung.  After waiting 30 mins or so I ran reboot -n. 

When the box came back up my tower status was amber, and one of my data drives had a red indicator.  I then searched the forums and did some basic troubleshooting.  Powered down changed power/sata cables etc.. At this point I am ready to order a drive to replace the failed one and then troubleshoot that drive offline, and RMA it if I must... but I have one problem...

The problem:

I have a 2tb parity drive.  I would like to order a 3tb drive for the new drive, and swap the parity out... but I don't believe this is possible with the status of the array.  Is there any way that I could accomplish this with out having to bring a 2nd new drive into the equation?  Is there some way that I could copy the parity data to the new 3tb drive, so that I can use the current parity drive as a replacement of the bad data drive...?

Thanks!

PS: Odd thing is that drive seems to have passed the smartctl  (Ran while the indicator was red)

Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar Green (Adv. Format) family
Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Serial Number:    WD-WMAZA0384744
Firmware Version: 50.0AB50
User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Mon May  7 20:58:18 2012 PDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x84)	Offline data collection activity
				was suspended by an interrupting command from host.
				Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed
				without error or no self-test has ever 
				been run.
Total time to complete Offline 
data collection: 		 (38400) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: 			 (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
				Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
				Suspend Offline collection upon new
				command.
				Offline surface scan supported.
				Self-test supported.
				Conveyance Self-test supported.
				Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)	Saves SMART data before entering
				power-saving mode.
				Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)	Error logging supported.
				General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine 
recommended polling time: 	 (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 ( 255) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 (   5) minutes.
SCT capabilities: 	       (0x3035)	SCT Status supported.
				SCT Feature Control supported.
				SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   194   194   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       3613
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   188   164   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       5600
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       779
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   190   190   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       80
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   081   081   000    Old_age   Always       -       14243
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       46
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       33
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   160   160   000    Old_age   Always       -       121563
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   113   092   000    Old_age   Always       -       37
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   159   159   000    Old_age   Always       -       41
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   197   196   000    Old_age   Always       -       1242
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   197   196   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1107
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   162   161   000    Old_age   Offline      -       10248

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Screen_Shot_2012-05-07_at_8_57.14_PM.png.d8c8cce10fca244791263f8db2aaafb2.png

Thank you!  This will be a life saver....  I guess I can fire off this order from amazon it is going to hurt the wallet... a bit, but if it is as easy as that article is hopefully it will only be a pain there and nowhere else.

The failed drive is covered through 2013, so I will probably get it RMA'ed and have 2tb of more space...

Thank you!  This will be a life saver....  I guess I can fire off this order from amazon it is going to hurt the wallet... a bit, but if it is as easy as that article is hopefully it will only be a pain there and nowhere else.

The failed drive is covered through 2013, so I will probably get it RMA'ed and have 2tb of more space...

The "swap-disabled" procedure will ONLY work if the disk you are replacing has been disabled first.  In your case, since the disk is "red," it has been disabled, so it should work as expected.

I mention this only because someone in the future might try to swap disks around just to install a larger parity disk in an array with all working drives.  That movement of two disks will probably not work as expected.

As a point of clarification for my tiny brain. In the originally referenced post by Joe L. :

1. Stop the array.

2. Power down the unit.

3. Replace the parity hard disk with a new bigger one.

4. Replace the failed hard disk with you old parity disk.

5. Power up the unit.

6. Start the array.

I assume that 'replace' means physically putting the new disks in the old locations (same controller position/dock location) AND reassigning on the devices page, correct? Or, 1. Can you put the new disks in any open slot and just reassign them on the devices page? vs. 2. Just physically replacing the drives.

I am probably really over thinking things here, but I seem to have a mental block regarding physical disk location and logical disk assignment.

I assume that 'replace' means physically putting the new disks in the old locations (same controller position/dock location) AND reassigning on the devices page, correct? Or, 1. Can you put the new disks in any open slot and just reassign them on the devices page? vs. 2. Just physically replacing the drives.

I would physically swap the drives (or drive cables).  I've never tried just re-assigning the drives and I have no experience with the 5.0 releases and the swap-disable procedure at all.

I would physically swap the drives (or drive cables).  I've never tried just re-assigning the drives and I have no experience with the 5.0 releases and the swap-disable procedure at all.

Thanks Joe.