ASUS C60M1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks good to me. Also looks like it has a turbo boost like feature that will bump the clock speed up to 1.33GHz when needed so that's nice. As long as you're running the latest release of unraid 5, because earlier betas of 5 and version 4 don't support the LAN chipset.

All in all looks like it should be a nice low power system.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice-looking board ==> HOWEVER ... the NIC is not supported by many Linux implementations (comments in other forums indicate this does not work in FreeNAS, UnRAID v4.7, etc.).    The comments above indicate the newest version of v5 does support it ... so if that's the case it should be okay, but I'd definitely prefer an Intel NIC when given a choice.

I think the best low-power board for UnRAID is the SuperMicro X7-SPA-H-D525.  It's admittedly a bit pricey, but it's a SUPERB board.  http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-X7SPA5

Note that the 9w vs. 13w for the D-525 is essentially irrelevant, since both boards are going to be running your power supply at very low efficiency, so even a system only drawing 15-20 watts from the board is still going to draw ~ 30 watts from the wall.    And once you spin up a few drives (moving the PSU into a much higher efficiency range), the 4w difference in total power consumption is certainly not significant.

Nevertheless, this IS a tempting board other than the NIC issue.    It and the SuperMicro boards are the only low-power CPU boards I'm aware of that have 6 SATA ports -- a perfect match for the excellent Lian-Li Q25 case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just an fyi for anyone wanting to use s3 sleep feature. Cant get it to work. It will sleep but nic does not stay alive to enable wake up.  I even installed an intel nic into pcie and still could not wake it up. After half a day of frustration

After half a day of frustration, returned it and got refurbished Supermicro MBD-X7SPA-HF for a little over $100. No s3 problems with latest rc.

Just an fyi for anyone wanting to use s3 sleep feature. Cant get it to work. It will sleep but nic does not stay alive to enable wake up.  I even installed an intel nic into pcie and still could not wake it up. After half a day of frustration

After half a day of frustration, returned it and got refurbished Supermicro MBD-X7SPA-HF for a little over $100. No s3 problems with latest rc.

Where did you get the refurb?  eBay?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't ordered it... I have an old Intel mITX board with six SATA connections, and a ton of PCI/etc slots, and I'm building a minimally-sized custom case to house it and 18 drives instead.  I was going to build the C60 in an ammo can with 10 drives, but decided to use existing hardware on hand.  Its going to be my backup server, backing up only the most critical data from unraid, and it gives me a chance to re-purpose my old 40, 80, and 120GB drives that I have laying around.  I'll use PCI-based SATA controllers for density, and to keep cost down.  Performance doesn't have to be stellar or even great.  The backups will occur as scheduled during the night, so I don't particularly care if read/writes are sub-par.

• 9 months later...

Got this board up and running with 2GB RAM and some older disks.... Runs like a champ and draws 60w during a parity check with six drives, including two older 7200rpm drives that average 36-40 degrees C.

Satisfied since this will be a backup server to be used once a week, but I am getting 40-60MB/s during parity checks.  Not sure if the lightweight CPU is to blame (load average during parity check is 1.96/1.97/2.04)

So far its a great little board and aside from slow disk performance I'm happy.

The NIC has dropped a few times, mostly when writing to the machine.  I upgraded unraid and copied bzimage and bzroot and the NIC puked, came back on its own after a few minutes but the files didn't copy all the way.  I am letting a parity check finish and then I will write some data to it to test.  Its running on a powerline ethernet adapter at the moment, which I am liking less and less these days, but I'm waiting on a few small parts to finish the build before I put it in my equipment cabinet on gig ethernet.  Hopefully that will fix things.