{Canada} Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB - $139 + Free Shipping. This weekend only

I am really starting to wonder about these drives.

The specs on them are really making them look like "disposable" drives.

The 2400-hour specification, which represents only 100 days of continuous operation, assumes that drives are used eight hours per day, five days per week. This, on top of Seagate saying spun down is still considered powered on.

All of that on top of only 1 year warranty says to me... "we are selling a product that we don't stand behind and will probably die if you actually use it".

and yes i do own several of these drives.. unfortunately.

PS the firmware update also fixes the reverse drive activity light glitch.

Costco Milford, CT has the Seagate USB3 GoDesk for $129.99 + taxes. I bought and took the drive out of the enclosure, it's the ST300DM001 3TB. It seems to run well for me so far. There was no marking about rpm on the drive, but Anandtech review of the drive said it was a 7200rpm unit. The date of manufacture is 04/2012 firmware CC9E. Power down is disabled.

The specs on them are really making them look like "disposable" drives.

The 2400-hour specification, which represents only 100 days of continuous operation, assumes that drives are used eight hours per day, five days per week. This, on top of Seagate saying spun down is still considered powered on.

All of that on top of only 1 year warranty says to me... "we are selling a product that we don't stand behind and will probably die if you actually use it".

I'm glad a bought several 3tb Hitachi's before the flood and takeover....but I'm wishing I had bought even more. Currently I just have one spun down/precleared as a spare. The current drive situation I find quite disturbing....