unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc5-r8168 Available

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased an Asus P8H77-V LE today with Realtek 8111F onboard and was having issues where pings would respond for 15 secs, then not respond for 15 secs and so on.

After upgrading from RC4 to RC5 8168, this issue appears to be resolved for me.

THANKS!

First of all thanks for this special Version with the Realtek driver in it.

I just tried that Version on my Server and from the first impression i have to say that it works way much better than with the driver in the Linux Kernel.

I have no speed drops any more because of the Message repeated failure.

Mean i have a stable speed between 45-50MB/s to my cachedrive when writing approx 350mb sized Media Files to it. Writing multiple GB iso files to it boost the speed to 60-65MB/s.

Of course that is only the first impression, i have to see how the driver behaves after several sleep/wakeup cycles.

I am using ECS A885GM-A2 Motherboard with Realtek 8111DL.

Should I use this R8168 version?

Is it better to list out all Realtek chipset that covered by the R8168 version in the release note?

Cause there are so many different version of Realtek LAN chipset.

The 8169 driver was supposed to replace the 8168 driver but the 8169 driver is not stable on some systems and on those unstable systems the older 8168 driver may prove more reliable. Use the 8168 release if your NIC is unstable using the RC5 release.

What realtek chipsets should benefit from this driver then?

Mine on my board is apparently:

"Gigabit LAN controller Realtek® 8111E Gigabit LAN controller featuring AI NET2"

Is that affected?

None should benefit. Yours' might be affected. You can try to ask Realtek. If you do find out, please let all of us know as well. See if they will give you a comprehensive list. Do you need their address?

Fixed for me!

Used to max out at about 50MB/sec to the cache drive.

Now? 100+MB/sec!

Thanks. Server is now working perfectly.

What kind of Cachedrive do you use? SSD?

Nope, just a normal 7200 RPM HD. It only just manages 100MB/sec sustained at the start of the drive, but still, a LOT faster than it was!

Works for me too. 8)

Using a BIOSTAR A760G M2+ Motherboard which has a Realtek RTL8111C - 10/100/1000 Controller which was using the r8169 driver.

Streams 1080p 3d movies now with out stuttering or failing, never done any speed tests.

This was my first build of an unRAID system to go with my new Samsung TV, so I dont have a lot of 1080p content to watch. I was just copying it to another hard drive to watch as I dont have time to troubleshoot at the moment. So I gave this build a go and it played the movies without problems.

I have no issue putting the system to sleep. If I try and bring the unit out of sleep using a key it comes out of sleep but does not become fully operational (no Monitor, WEB interface missing; Ping does properly work).

If I use r8168 I can not get a magic packet to bring the unit out of S3.  If I use r8169 then the system will respond to a magic packet and come out of sleep.

In neither case does the system wake up completely.  The Monitor is not active, the keyboard is not active, and the system will not bring up the Web interface so I can not get to it. a Ping is answered however

The mobo is a Gigabyte GM-MA785GM US2h.  The on board NIC chip is a realtek 8111C chip but I am not sure of the number.

I would really like to get WOL (MagicPacket) working but I am at a loss to figure out how.  Any help Appreciated.

I would really like to get WOL (MagicPacket) working but I am at a loss to figure out how.  Any help Appreciated.

Have you tried getting an intel nic. They aren't too expensive and if you have the pci slot available. I put one in ages ago when I started getting issues instead of faffing around with kernals and modules.

Josh

I have no issue putting the system to sleep. If I try and bring the unit out of sleep using a key it comes out of sleep but does not become fully operational (no Monitor, WEB interface missing; Ping does properly work).

If I use r8168 I can not get a magic packet to bring the unit out of S3.  If I use r8169 then the system will respond to a magic packet and come out of sleep.

In neither case does the system wake up completely.  The Monitor is not active, the keyboard is not active, and the system will not bring up the Web interface so I can not get to it. a Ping is answered however

The mobo is a Gigabyte GM-MA785GM US2h.  The on board NIC chip is a realtek 8111C chip but I am not sure of the number.

Next release (-rc6-r8168) includes an updated r8168 driver which perhaps addresses this.  Reaktek does not include release notes so I have no idea.

BTW here's a funny(?) commentary from a debian developer regarding r8168 vs r8169.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/12/msg00054.html

I guess my own conclusion is this: there's a reason Realtek NIC's are very "popular" - it's because they are cheaper and the vast majority of users (read: windows users) don't have any complaints.  Realtek doesn't really care about linux imho.