unRAID Server release 3.0-beta2 available

limetech

This release addresses some bugs found by beta testers and includes numerous improvements.  Main highlights are:

• Significant read performance increase.  We've measured over 56MB/sec by having two Command windows open, each copying a file and writing to 'nul' (bit bucket)
  • Better write performance.  Modest improvement - still work to do in this area
  • Finally! You can write without messing up a video read stream. (At least in the testing we've been able to do.)  We're looking for a beta tester who can get multiple read streams and writes streams going to fully test this.
  • MUCH improved method for device assignment. This will really benefit those building SATA systems.  Read this.

Here are the release notes:

unRAID Server 3.0-beta2 Release Notes

Upgrade Instructions
--------------------
If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1, it is only necessary to copy the two files:

bzimage
bzroot

to the top directory of your Flash, replacing those files already on the Flash.  There are two ways to do this:

1. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.  Copy the two files from the new release, plug the Flash back into your server and reboot it.

OR

2. If your server is running, simply copy the two new files to the 'flash' share, go to the Management Utility and reboot.

If you are installing this release to a new Flash, please refer to instructions on our website at:
http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

Changes from 3.0-beta1 to 3.0-beta2
-----------------------------------

Improvement: increased both Read and Write performance.  Give read streams priority over write streams.

Improvement: added support for Realtek GigE and Broadcom GigE.

Improvement: added "Flash vendor" and "Flash Model" to Devices page.

Improvement: simplify hard drive assigment.

Bug Fix: prevent superfluous logging messages from filling up syslog.

Bug Fix: fix intermittant problem where configuration data in config/super.dat could get trashed if user types 'poweroff' from a telnet window.

Bug Fix: fixed problem where sometimes SATA drivers wouldn't get loaded automatically.

Bug Fix: fixed problem where sometimes system would think drives are spun-down, when actually they are spun-up.

Just upgraded from 706 to 3.0beta2. Things went smooth and only 1 question, array is building parity.... I stopped the array, matched up the hard drives on the device page, started array and now rebuilding parity. Just want to make sure this is correct if I followed the directions perfectly (including the super.dat file)

Speed Test Results - Previously I was not even able to stream an MP3 file off the tower while writing a DVD to a different drive. That now is fine given just 10 minutes of testing.  Also I can rip a DVD to one drive and play a DVD on another drive, again with 10 minutes of testing no issues.  Where I did have issues was using the same drive to both read and write, not a big surprise I guess.

Major improvement Tom......!  :D

Beta2 device bug?

Tom, I was trying to figure out why the array built parity last night and I figured it out. When I assigned my drives on the devices page, I did it in the order that the hard drives are listed; a,b,c etc.... what happened is my disk4 and I think disk5 were flipped. I can't remember exactly and I will report back on Saturday, but I think that something is being linked incorrectly.

Speed Test Results

Simultaneously streamed two (2) DVD VOBs to two (2) PCs running WinDVD7 while streaming WAV file to SqueezBox and recording HD to TS file via D-VHS MPEG2 Transport Stream Capture for 30 minutes.  Each operation running off a separate drive on the array.  No evidence of stuttering.  TS file looked clean upon review.  unRaid didn't appear to be breaking a sweat.  I think you're making progress, Tom!!!

Haven't tried a R-W evolution on a single drive yet.  Will report back results.

Kevin

Beta2 bug?

Clicking "Clear Statistics" on the "Settings" tab spins up the array.  I don't recall that happening before.

Kevin

Heh, nice find!  (unRAID beta testers are the best).  What I mean is, you found an undocumented feature  ;D

Actually, yes a bug introduced when fixing the "sometimes disk shows as spun down when actually it's spun up" bug.  But I've been thinking of adding a button somewhere that says, "spin all the drives up", because there are times I want to do this... all I have to do now is clear the statistics...  Maybe we shouldn't fix this bug?  I have to think about it...

Some speed test results with HDTV content

movie: MPEG2 1080i @ 1.5 mb\s; total size 10 gig

was able to play it on 2 pc's from the same disk, and write to the disk @ 9.5mb\s.

so 2 reads @ 1.5mb\s and 1 write @ 9.5mb\s all from/too the same disk at once

video playback was crystal clear on both pc's, not a hickup.

it's a shame that i dont have a 3e pc capable of playing hdtv.

next test: currently dling 1080p movie  ;D

found something odd, not sure if its normal or not.

parity sync is off (manual stop because im writing a few 100 gig to it)

im only writing to disk1, but i see the read disk2 and 3 increase.

increase is about 1mb\s per disk, so thats not a text file

its been a hour now and disk2 and 3 are still spin up.

so something is reading disk2 and 3, but its not me  ;D (and im home alone)

is this normal when writing? (with parity sync manual off)

unraid-read_write.JPG

Some speed test results with HDTV content

movie: MPEG2 1080i @ 1.5 mb\s; total size 10 gig

was able to play it on 2 pc's from the same disk, and write to the disk @ 9.5mb\s.

so 2 reads @ 1.5mb\s and 1 write @ 9.5mb\s all from/too the same disk at once

video playback was crystal clear on both pc's, not a hickup.

it's a shame that i dont have a 3e pc capable of playing hdtv.

next test: currently dling 1080p movie  ;D

I got a couple questions on you speeds here.  My HDTV records at 19Mb/s and my SDTV at 6Mb/s.  How did you get 1080i at 1.5Mb/s do you really mean 15Mb/s?  I would think the picture quality would be horrible at that rate for MPEGII

thanks,

found something odd, not sure if its normal or not.

parity sync is off (manual stop because im writing a few 100 gig to it)

im only writing to disk1, but i see the read disk2 and 3 increase.

is this normal when writing? (with parity sync manual off)

Yes this is normal.  There is an internal "state" flag kept for parity: parity can either be "valid" or "invalid".  Valid means that the parity disk can be used to reconstruct data of a failed data disk.  In a new array, parity state starts out "invalid". When a parity-sync completes without error, the state of the parity disk is changed to "valid".

Now anytime you write to a data disk and parity is "invalid", the driver actually executes a "reconstruct-write".  This means in addition to writing your data to the data disk, it reads all the other data disks, computes parity, and writes that to the parity disk.

Since you cancelled parity-sync manually, the parity disk is still left in the 'invalid' state and all writes will be 'reconstruct writes'.

I guess what you're trying to do is increase the write performance while you are preloading data to your server, correct?  In this case, the best way to do this is to completely disable the parity disk; that way, all writes will just write your data disk.  To disable the parity disk, go to the Devices page and "unassign" parity.  After you have completed your preload, go back to Devices, assign the parity disk, go back to Main, and Start the array & it will also start parity-sync.

The two new ones that were added were IDE.

Also; I just replace parity 400gb IDE with a 500GB IDE. Let it run through the night... no problem at all. When I woke up, all drive were spun down except parity (the management utility was accurate as well, had parity on and I touched it and it was still spun up, but with no activity...

I got a couple questions on you speeds here.  My HDTV records at 19Mb/s and my SDTV at 6Mb/s.  How did you get 1080i at 1.5Mb/s do you really mean 15Mb/s?  I would think the picture quality would be horrible at that rate for MPEGII

thanks,

well i seriously doubt your 19MB\s, cause if u would record a 2 hour movie with that it would require 140 gig of space for 1 movie.

i guess u mean Mbit\s

1,5 MB\s = 1,5 x 8 = 12 Mbit\s HDTV 1080i

now 1080p have twice as much frames as 1080i, so naturally 1080p would be 12 x 2 = 24 Mbit\s HDTV 1080p

so i ment it in MB\s, and u ment Mbit\s  ;D

Tom, that bug in the size and free space of the user share (where Windows thinks it's the size/free of the RAM drive, AKA 113MB/49.7MB) is still there.

I know I said I didn't car before, but more and more I'm running into Windows programs (explorer, etc) that error and abort when trying to copy/move to the user shares saying "not enough space". I can alays write to the \\tower\diskX\... shares, of course, but it gets to be an annoyance after a while in an otherwise greeat system (user shares).

Is beta 2 FSCK on a reboot?

I had a lockup with Beta 2 this morning and had to power cycle - first lockup. Upon bootup it was taking FOREVER to become available again. Panicknig a bit I put a monitor on it and saw filenames for my MP3 collection flying past with messages stating that the record already existed. Swallowing hard I waited for that to end and saw it do several other drives before becoming available. It SEEMs fine now, was it doing a FSCK? What was up as this is the first I've seen this and it was a little scary because it wasn't available at all until this was done....