unClean shutdown from console

Hello,

I have recently upgraded from 4.7 to 5.0RC-8.  I shutdown the unraid server from the console (reboot).  This caused the array to be shutdown unclean and forced a parity check.  I never had this problem with 4.7.  Is this normal behavior now?  Might I suggest the reboot script be adjusted to dis-mount the array first before starting the full shutdown process of the operating system.

I don't know if this behavior is also present in the shutdown script as well, but if it is, the script should also be updated to dismount the array first before starting the full shutdown process. 

Sideband Samurai

This is a fine answer, and thank you for that link.  It is very useful, and I am guilty for NOT looking in the WIKI to begin with.

Don't you think this SHOULD be implemented in the shutdown / reboot script already?  After all this is a commercial product we are using, stuff like this should NOT have to be done after the fact. After all I would have expected the shutdown/reboot scripts to already handle this correctly.

What about the APC shutdown script.  When people implement the APC USB sensor cable, and the UPS senses that there is no AC power what does that script do?  All I am just saying is the product should have that capability built in already.  And this could be considered a bug, and it should be implemented before Final release of 5.0

Sideband Samurai

The webGUI is the only officially supported way to shutdown.

It should not be and this should be addressed.

Since the webGUI can no longer be restarted without a reboot, I consider the current situation completely broken. The need to install 3rd party scripts and tools to deal with everyday events is unacceptable. Yes, you can still follow the wiki directions and get a clean shutdown with the command line, but this is supposed to be a robust appliance, not a finicky hard to control hackers playtoy. 

I understand if this were in the beta stage, I would simply report it and wait for the changes to filter through. According to the developer, we are very close to final release.  As such I tend to agree with the other comments, that this SHOULD be fixed before final release.  After all this is not a new feature being requested but the basic function of the reboot/shutdown script, to make sure everything is handled correctly, including dis-mounting the array when working with the console.

Fortunately, I have a small server, what if someone did this to a 40TB system.  It would take days to re-check the parity and to have it happen very time a reboot is executed from the console is really unacceptable.

The scripts have a bug, is this the proper place to report this? Or is there a bugzilla system I can file this into.  I have changed my Message icon from unexpected behavior to Defect report.

Sideband Samurai

Archived