Change USB drive PAID Unraid - Plus Version

Hi All

My UNRAID has gone all bonkers. For the last 20 days or so I am stuck with Directory Bread Block failed error. And I requested for some help as well but got none..

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=23082.msg204799#msg204799

Now recently my unraid would loose network connectivity all together, just like that. I can not ping to my server, as if the link is totally gone between unraid and router.

If I restart the server, it ends up either with bread block error or looses connectivity within minuted of a reboot.

I have done all in my power to resolve this, only thing left is to try a new pen drive. But someone please tell me how to use the key file that I got associated with this pen drive to work with a new one. Or if possible suggest any solution to bring my UNRAID back,,,,,

PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ ...help

Regards

Sammy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a few USB sticks go bad over the years and had to replace them. I've done this by sending email to Tom asking for help. He has helped me each time pretty quickly and I've made sure to buy GOOD USB sticks for replacements! The bargain bin junk is not only much slower but goes bad more easily.

Tom has always helped me out but be prepared to send in the old stick if he asks. Tom has wanted to do forensics on some of them to try and figure out WTF happened and I'm sure he wants to make sure no one is scamming him too.

Send him a polite plea, he's always been good about solving this in the past....

I have had a few USB sticks go bad over the years and had to replace them. I've done this by sending email to Tom asking for help. He has helped me each time pretty quickly and I've made sure to buy GOOD USB sticks for replacements! The bargain bin junk is not only much slower but goes bad more easily.

Tom has always helped me out but be prepared to send in the old stick if he asks. Tom has wanted to do forensics on some of them to try and figure out WTF happened and I'm sure he wants to make sure no one is scamming him too.

Send him a polite plea, he's always been good about solving this in the past....

mmmm ok seems fair .... let me try my hard luck with few more troubleshooting steps like what spalding is suggesting ...... if all hell looses I will contact him. BTW can you please also assist how to get in touch with him in this regard.

Run checkdisk on the flash in a PC or Mac.

done, got few errors which were solved, rebooted, did not get Directory bread(block xxxxx) failed error for an hour or so, but then the other disease has started poping up and that is loosing network connectivity, which is I what is happening now. I could not even test properly for Directory bread error, that I now have this new problem. Unraid looses connectivity with LAN, and this has started happening more since yeaterday, and I cannot think of any major changes I have made to the nas, definately no new plugins or apps installed.

I am getting so very frustrated now, specially since now my almost all audio/video/data is on it and I loose access to it.

Is it possible to install Unraid on an internal HDD and boot via it. How to go about this if this is possible ..... any other solution...... plz help

I don't think the flash drive is what's causing the network errors. Have you examined the logs to see what they say? You can copy them using the console and examine them on another machine....

HOw do I examin logs, everything looks fine before I loose connectivity. But then just like that I loose it and then I cannot access log file.

I have even installed a new network card and for a day or two things went fine and I thought the problem was resolved ....... but today again just like that I lost the connectivity, pinging server gives "destination host unreachable" ......

This is getting really really frustrating ...... after more than a year of usage, now UNRAID is just giving up upon me ..... plz help...

Without a log no-one can give advise. See here for methods to capture the log: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9880.0

Ok method first ....typing the address ..... //samtower/log/syslog ..... gives does nothing.(coz I have no connectivity remember)

Method two ...  type command cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog.txt at telnet session. :::: As I said I cannot telnet once the connection is lost. I get destination host unreachable when I ping.

Method three also involves telnet "tail -f /var/log/syslog"........

so only way I can run this command is to reboot the server and run them before I loose connectivity again, so thats I what I did .......... below is the syslog file just after a fresh reboot. For the record at present I can access the server (coz I restarted), but pretty soon in an hour or two I will loose it and start getting destination host unreachable ...

Regards

Sammy

unraid_syslog.txt

Hi Joe,

Once the system is rebooted everything seems to work, array is started, I can access the management console, all plugins work. But then just like that I loose network connectivity, that is when I cannot even ping the server, I start getting "destination host unreachable" Then obviously I cannot access the management console, or the array, nothing. I have to restart the server. and then things are fine for a day or two I guess before I loose the connectivity again.

Like on 27 oct when I posted thats when I lost the connectivity again (I have changed the NIC as well). I rebooted and all is working well now. But I am always under that sense of fear that I will loose network connectivity anytime.

Ok I am back home and the first thing I did was to connect a monitor to UNRAID. To my surprise, it was stuck with zillions of messages on the screen and not the usual prompt that I had expected. Then I connected the keyboard, but the system was stuck, hung, as I could not do anything with key strokes ...... neither enter, nor up or down ..... so I took a snap of all the message that were on the screen .... sharing it with you all.....

I really really hope I will now get a solution ...

2hi1b0z.jpg

PLEASE HELP ME ON THIS .....

looks like kernel crash.

Most common cause is RAM  (and most common issue is incorrect voltage, clock speed, or timing)

Run a memory test, for several cycles, preferably overnight.

Most BIOS set the memory voltage, clock speed, and timing for you.  Most get it right, some do not, especially with premium RAM.  You must then set those parameter manually.

Joe L.

Joe I did run a mem test that was the first thing I did when this started happening ......... the mem test went absolutely fine .......

and my nas is connected with an online UPS so there is no way incorrect voltage will chip in ... the SMPS is also cooler master

and my nas is connected with an online UPS so there is no way incorrect voltage will chip in

He's not talking about line voltage being incorrect, he's talking about the actual RAM voltage as specified in the BIOS. Most motherboards default to reading the ID chip on the RAM and using the settings from that, but sometimes with non standard or high performance RAM, or bad BIOS programming the automatically determined voltage is wrong, and you have to manually set it to the correct level.

and my nas is connected with an online UPS so there is no way incorrect voltage will chip in

He's not talking about line voltage being incorrect, he's talking about the actual RAM voltage as specified in the BIOS. Most motherboards default to reading the ID chip on the RAM and using the settings from that, but sometimes with non standard or high performance RAM, or bad BIOS programming the automatically determined voltage is wrong, and you have to manually set it to the correct level.

Ok so what do I need to do!!!!! ..... I removed one of the RAM stick and rebooted and now it does not even reach the login prompt .... it get stuck at Loding Bizroot and then couple of dots and this is what is happening now what ever I try, which ever ram stick I try on what ever slot ....... the UNRAID is not even booting now .......... I am screwed man ......