Change USB drive PAID Unraid - Plus Version

Well I guess there is no spk on the board as I could not find one. About PSU, I connected it on my other system and it worked perfectly, as the system booted correctly...................Anyhow I have decided to get new hardware ...... can you comment on the Proc+Mobo I have  mentioned, or may be suggest one yourself ......

I guess I failed to mention.. the PSU was perfect and I am still using it in another machine a year later. It was just pointing out how sensitive hardware is the the power supply.

As far as board/CPU recommendations...I'm always scared of CHEAP mobos. I built a few machines when you could overclock with a pencil, and I think I found every lemon in the cheap motherboard world, so now I buy quality boards and intel cpus. If price is the primary driver for you, I'm the wrong person to ask, but I would pick a CPU, decide how many SATA ports you need, and go to newegg's advanced filters for form-factor, video, lan, etc and you'll probably get down to 2 or 3 boards. From there, search this form with the model number and see what you find. I'd probably advise you to go with an ASUS or a Gigabyte over an MSI or Jetway.

To answer your question NO, the A55M-P35 will not take a AM3 chip. That's an FM1 board. If you want a board that supports your old chip, you'll need to find one with the right socket type. The AM3 in "AMD 3.2 GHz AM3 Athlon II 260" is the socket type, so that will be a critical search criteria for your board selection. These appear to be the Newegg.com options for an AM3 in an ATX form factor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007625+600007943+600009016&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=22&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Don't see anyone else who has mentioned it on the forums, so you may be in uncharted waters, but the ASUS M4A88T-V has video, lan, and 5 SATA ports for $90... that's probably the one I'd choose if I was in your shoes. You may have another supplier you like to use with other options, but you'll need to fit the AM3 and ATX criteria.

Cheers,

whiteatom

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess there is no spk on the board as I could not find one. About PSU, I connected it on my other system and it worked perfectly, as the system booted correctly...................Anyhow I have decided to get new hardware ...... can you comment on the Proc+Mobo I have  mentioned, or may be suggest one yourself ......

I guess I failed to mention.. the PSU was perfect and I am still using it in another machine a year later. It was just pointing out how sensitive hardware is the the power supply.

As far as board/CPU recommendations...I'm always scared of CHEAP mobos. I built a few machines when you could overclock with a pencil, and I think I found every lemon in the cheap motherboard world, so now I buy quality boards and intel cpus. If price is the primary driver for you, I'm the wrong person to ask, but I would pick a CPU, decide how many SATA ports you need, and go to newegg's advanced filters for form-factor, video, lan, etc and you'll probably get down to 2 or 3 boards. From there, search this form with the model number and see what you find. I'd probably advise you to go with an ASUS or a Gigabyte over an MSI or Jetway.

To answer your question NO, the A55M-P35 will not take a AM3 chip. That's an FM1 board. If you want a board that supports your old chip, you'll need to find one with the right socket type. The AM3 in "AMD 3.2 GHz AM3 Athlon II 260" is the socket type, so that will be a critical search criteria for your board selection. These appear to be the Newegg.com options for an AM3 in an ATX form factor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007625+600007943+600009016&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=22&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Don't see anyone else who has mentioned it on the forums, so you may be in uncharted waters, but the ASUS M4A88T-V has video, lan, and 5 SATA ports for $90... that's probably the one I'd choose if I was in your shoes. You may have another supplier you like to use with other options, but you'll need to fit the AM3 and ATX criteria.

Cheers,

whiteatom

Thanks Whiteatom, for a detailed reply, ok taking your advice I am stearing clear from MSI and AMD all together. Gigabyte I already have a quality mobo but Gigabyte gave me HPA problem so I avoid going for Gigabyte. ASUS seems good with an Intel CPU (as you suggested) so below is my reconsidered list with intel CPU and ASUS board ..... let me know if this seems ok ...

Intel 2.6 GHz LGA 1155 Dual Core G620 Processor

ASUS P8H61- M LX REV 3.0 Motherboard

A little expensive from what I initially stated but its okie I guess for better quality. I hope, the above Mobo will take the CPU as both are Socket LGA 1155. Let me know and I shall place the order ...

Regards

Sammy