APC UPS question

lovingHDTV

My APC has been running for years without issue.  I've 7-8 of them around the house and while I've replaced batteries every 2-3 years, that is all I've ever had to do.  I'm not having an issue that is new to me.

The one of my unRaid server has been toggling online->offline constantly for the last few weeks.  I notice this in the syslog:

Oct 29 10:30:43 Tower apcupsd[19726]: Power failure.

Oct 29 10:30:45 Tower apcupsd[19726]: Power is back. UPS running on mains.

Oct 29 10:30:49 Tower apcupsd[19726]: Power failure.

Oct 29 10:30:52 Tower apcupsd[19726]: Power is back. UPS running on mains.

Oct 29 10:31:01 Tower apcupsd[19726]: Power failure.

Oct 29 10:31:03 Tower apcupsd[19726]: Power is back. UPS running on

I've tried plugging it into different outlets, but it still continues to do this.  It still works, when I unplug it everything continues fine, its just that this toggling and accompanying beep are very disruptive.

Anyone dealt with this issue before?

I did go ahead on order a new CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD as a replacement.  I should get it in the next couple days, but I'd like to see if I can figure out what is wrong with the current one and put it back in service if possible.

thanks,

dave

I figured out the problem.  For whatever reason I had to load up the APC software and change the line sensitivity to low.  I've has this unit for about 6 years so I'm not sure why the sudden change.

Sent from my MOPHO using Tapatalk 2

I would look to your power company. (possibly)

Either they have a poor connection on their line feeding your home

or

You have a poor connection in your breaker-box, or the circuit feeding your UPS, resulting in the voltage drops tripping the UPS

or

The feed of power to your neighborhood has an issue (overloaded, or poor connection somewhere)

or

Your breaker feeding the server is overloaded (resulting in voltage drops when some other appliance turns on)  This is less likely since you tried different outlets. (unless they were all on the same breaker/fuse)

Regardless, the UPS is showing you that there are voltage drops of a magnitude enough to cause it to turn on.

Making the UPS less sensitive to power drops might help, but it might mask the actual cause.  Unfortunately, a poor connection in a breaker box or outlet could result in it overheating, and result in a fire.  (Probably not a good time to stop payment on your fire-insurance)

In any case... do not ignore the issue.  Most power companies will come out and check out the line if presented with evidence of power drops. (your UPS log excerpt)  They do not want any issues either, and sometime all it takes is to tighten a connection.

Do you see lights flickering in your home?  (Another clue the power company might have an issue)

If you are on the east-coast of the US, you might have a long wait for a power company representative to arrive.  They are sort of busy right now.

Joe L.

I have about 8 other APC UPS and the new CyberPower in my house and only this one has an issue.  It happens no matter where I plug it in.  I did think about plugging it into another UPS to see if it was still sensitive but didn't do that.

I guess I'd be more inclined to think it was a power delivery issue if any of the others were having issues, but they aren't.

I watched the line voltage being reported by apcupsd and it always reported 124v, though I doubt that it is responsive enough to show fluctuations in the power.

thanks for the heads up,

dave

I have about 8 other APC UPS and the new CyberPower in my house and only this one has an issue.  It happens no matter where I plug it in.  I did think about plugging it into another UPS to see if it was still sensitive but didn't do that.

I guess I'd be more inclined to think it was a power delivery issue if any of the others were having issues, but they aren't.

I watched the line voltage being reported by apcupsd and it always reported 124v, though I doubt that it is responsive enough to show fluctuations in the power.

thanks for the heads up,

dave

I had a APC UPS on my main Windows machine doing the same thing.  The main effect that I noticed was the beeping noise that it makes when it shifted to battery backup in the middle of the night!  I also reset the line sensitivity to high.  What I suspect is the issue is momentary spikes and dips in the power feed.  Since it was also doing it during the day and all of the other UPS's, digital clocks, and computers were surviving without any issue, I felt comfortable in changing the setting. 

thanks for the heads up,

dave

No problem...  With the added information, I doubt the issue is in your home.

Just for interest, this evening I visually saw the lights in my home flicker/dim several times.  I have two unRAID servers, each with their own UPS and guess what I saw in the syslog:

Nov  3 19:27:44 Tower2 apcupsd[1655]: Power failure.

Nov  3 19:27:45 Tower2 apcupsd[1655]: Power is back. UPS running on mains.

Nov  3 19:27:47 Tower2 apcupsd[1655]: Power failure.

Nov  3 19:27:48 Tower2 apcupsd[1655]: Power is back. UPS running on mains.

Nov  3 19:28:09 Tower2 apcupsd[1655]: Power failure.

Nov  3 19:28:10 Tower2 apcupsd[1655]: Power is back. UPS running on mains.

It was not enough to cause anything to reset (routers, other computers) but all of the UPS in my house sure noticed the power dips.  The apcstatus command shows "Low Voltage" as the triggering event.

Joe L.

|                    |

|

|--

|

|

|

Two outlets along two walls on the same 15 amp circuit. Both UPS units are plugged into the "North" wall at a single outlet. Laser printer is plugged into the "West" wall along with Klipsch ProMedia set, switch, lamp. Each time I print something, power is interrupted to both UPS units. 8)

Two outlets along two walls on the same 15 amp circuit. Both UPS units are plugged into the "North" wall at a single outlet. Laser printer is plugged into the "West" wall along with Klipsch ProMedia set, switch, lamp. Each time I print something, power is interrupted to both UPS units. 8)

All Laser Printers have a high wattage (>700W)  fuser element to reduce the time to output the first page.  When printing starts, the current draw on your fifteen ampere circuit cause the line voltage to drop enough to cause the UPS to switch to the battery.  If it is an APC UPS, look in the documentation (go on-line to find it if necessary) and see if you can reduce the sensitivity to over and under voltage situations.  IT IS NOT AN ACTUAL VOLTAGE INTERRUPTION!  (I have a Brother HL5450DN that will actually cause a fifteen ampere breaker to trip out.  I suspect it is a combination of the high current draw and the arc fault interrupter that causes the problem.  I fixed it by running a separate twenty ampere circuit to the room.) 

All Laser Printers have a high wattage (>700W)  fuser element to reduce the time to output the first page.  When printing starts, the current draw on your fifteen ampere circuit cause the line voltage to drop enough to cause the UPS to switch to the battery.  If it is an APC UPS, look in the documentation (go on-line to find it if necessary) and see if you can reduce the sensitivity to over and under voltage situations.  IT IS NOT AN ACTUAL VOLTAGE INTERRUPTION!  (I have a Brother HL5450DN that will actually cause a fifteen ampere breaker to trip out.  I suspect it is a combination of the high current draw and the arc fault interrupter that causes the problem.  I fixed it by running a separate twenty ampere circuit to the room.)

The UPS connected to my desktop has the APC software, so it's simple to change the sensitvity. But on the server, it's all command line, isn't it? I can see the entry is SENSE: Medium.

I have on a couple occasions heard the beeping from the my APC UPS when the rest of the power n the house was fine, but never checked the syslog (I will next time).  I do know power from the power company an occasionally fluctuate for whatever multitude of reasons and then clean up.

Are they identical APC units in your house?  Any reason to believe this particular model is more sensitive than the others? Is it a higher grade unit possibly dong a better job of protecting the equipment?

If not then I think I would fall back to your assumption that this unit has just developed a problem.  Not inconceivable at 8 yrs old.

The UPS connected to my desktop has the APC software, so it's simple to change the sensitvity. But on the server, it's all command line, isn't it? I can see the entry is SENSE: Medium.

My unit is designed so that the sensitivity can be changed by using the buttons on the unit to do it.  That is why I suggested going the manufacturer's website and get the full manual.  Hopefully, your unit has a similar feature.

• 2 weeks later...

My unit is designed so that the sensitivity can be changed by using the buttons on the unit to do it.  That is why I suggested going the manufacturer's website and get the full manual.  Hopefully, your unit has a similar feature.

The bigger model does, and I am able to change it, except that server has none of the issues detailed in this thread. The smaller unit UPS (Back-UPS ES 550) has no such option. Everything's moving to another part of the house soon, so my issue should be resolved.

I appreciate your help.

Archived