VPN Access "Broken" since Upgrade from 4.7

Hey everybody,

I recently upgraded from 4.7 to 5.0-rc8a and (especially with the use of simpleFeatures) find it quite a useful upgrade

When upgrading I deleted the user and share files on the flash and also used the util to reset the file access rights for the whole unraid server.

Locally within my network everything runs as expected.

VPN:

For about a year by now I have had my network connected to another LAN via VPN and used it every week (fritzbox to fritzbox; connecting two IP ranges... 192.168.177.x with 192.168.176.x). And it worked in every detail with Unraid 4.7.

Now after the upgrade, the VPN connection suffers from huge downsides at the unraid server.  (unraid server upload bandwidth is constantly at 0.8 -1 MB/sec, as it was before the upgrade )

Also listing© files from unraid folders to the remote LAN with the explorer works as before..

But:

Opening a video file (700mb) via VPN from the explorer with VLC causes a long delay (20-40sec) and later a buffer underrun and therefor also a permanent stuttering in the playback. Before the unraid update, even 4-5GB files started within seconds via VPN.

When using my media portal (something like XBMC / media center), it just freezes.

I already checked the bandwith over and over.. but copying files via windows explorer is as fast as always. only accessing the files is broken somehow

Logfile:

I looked up the log files for the given access time.. but there is nothing mentioned about the connection. I observed the log, while accessing the files remotely from the other LAN but nothing was logged at all..

I dont know about the details, but I guess some file system feature that worked with 4.x is missing in the 5.x rc?

Please give me some update on this.

In the meantime I will need to downgrade again to 4.7. Luckily I still have my flash backup. Do I need to remove files again? user/share files?

Do I need to reset the file access rights again?

Help  ???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

unraid itself is untouched.

I only "paired" the fritzboxes on both sides (http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZBox_Fon_WLAN_7390/index.php), so now both networks are directly connected by a permanent VPN connection and the fritzboxes take care of the data transfer.

within this network you can access the remote devices from every machine by using their local ip adresses

but as said above, everything else works except opening files on the unraid server (i.e. opening video clips with VLC )from remote VPN connected devices.

unraid4.7 on the other hand doesnt have this limitation. everything works just fine.

Well... since you have your vpn setup outside of unraid as far as unraid is concerned there is no difference and transfers take place within the same network..

This should mean that unraid 5 is slower with respect to disk access then 4.7 ..  I am experiencing an issue like that within my system (which can also be something totally different by the way), what happens when you try with unraid 5 rc5 ?

did you read my posts above? :-)

Unraid 4.7 worked in every way as I expected it to do

Unraid 5 works perfect, if I just want to copy files from unraid (LAN 1) to a remote computer (LAN 2)

but if I open bigger unraid 5 files (videos) remotley from LAN 2, it takes 30-50 seconds before it even starts (unraid 4.7 did this instantly). And directly afterwards it starts to stumble. I already monitored the bandwith and while unraid 4.7 sends in full possible bandwith (~0.8 MB/sec), unraid 5.0 rc8a sends 0.5MB/s for a second, than idles for a couple of seconds and then repeats to send a bit.

I really hope limetech can help here. Even if it wasnt on the radar yet and is considered a bug report, thats fine. I just need confirmation that you are aware of it.

If there is any more need for testing, I would be glad to help

cheers

OK so can you test unraid lan1 to compuer lan1 and remove the VPN from the test.  If this works then not sure what could be going on but it would mean that it has somehting to do with the VPN and not specifically unraid.  It may be something like flow control signals etc etc between the frtiz box and unraid, network drivers.

thanks for the suggestions.

Again, it is caused by unraid 5.0 rc8a, since I didnt changed anything else in the environment.

Also, removing the VPN connection would disconnect the two networks.

It worked just fine with 4.7 and now that I moved back from 5.0 to 4.7, it works just fine again. So what ever it is, it is caused by unraid 5.0-rc8a