NFS Settings - Raspbmc

Raspbmc (XBMC for Raspberry Pi) was recently updated to allow for NFS installs, however it wants the settings for the share you install to have different settings then any of the the security profiles in unraid have.

rw,async,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check

I think I could modify my exports but I am also guessing that wouldn't persist over reboots.

Any other way to tweak those settings?

jaybee, I think zack84a is just having troubles with NFS. Samba should work fine.

I haven't had time to play with my RaspberryPi recently, but had OpenELEC on it connecting just fine through SMB a couple months ago. Since I have Samba shares for my Windows PC, I did not try anything with NFS.

jaybee, I think zack84a is just having troubles with NFS. Samba should work fine.

I haven't had time to play with my RaspberryPi recently, but had OpenELEC on it connecting just fine through SMB a couple months ago. Since I have Samba shares for my Windows PC, I did not try anything with NFS.

Just to be clear, I am working to install via NFS Root.  What this means is the SD card will load the XBMC install to an NFS share, and boot xmbc from there, as well as store the library and other things there.  This is different then a typical XBMC install (all on SD Card) or installing to USB (SD card loads install to USB Drive). 

NFS Media shares in XBMC without any problem at all.

Interesting, as I was looking to use Raspbmc. Have you tried it and it failed then?

I have tried, and got the following error:

Jan 2 00:15:29 Tower mountd[5103]: refused mount request from 192.168.1.136 for /Apps/pi/livingroom (/): not exported

Just to be clear, I am working to install via NFS Root.  What this means is the SD card will load the XBMC install to an NFS share, and boot xmbc from there, as well as store the library and other things there.  This is different then a typical XBMC install (all on SD Card) or installing to USB (SD card loads install to USB Drive). 

I misunderstood. This is not something I have worked with on my RasPi. Apologies for any confusion on the topic.

I misunderstood. This is not something I have worked with on my RasPi. Apologies for any confusion on the topic.

No problem.. Was afraid there might be a few people think normal share use vs using the share as an install path.  Currently having other issues with my server, once I can get those resolved I'll update if the correct mount path works, and to what extent with raspbmc really wanting different options.

zack84a,

Please keep this thread up to date with your progress.  After reading your initial post, I went to the Raspbmc site and read through their change log.  I like the idea of installing the software on an NFS share as I have had a couple of SD card corruptions over the past couple of months.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to do this as well, with no success. We are running NFSv4 which is fine. I follow this http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=5496

• I use a cache-only share in /mnt/user/Services (located in /mnt/cache/Services) and set it to export as Yes and Public.
  • Modify /etc/exports to: "/mnt/user/Services" -async,no_subtree_check,fsid=0 *(rw,insecure,anongid=0,anonuid=0,async,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check)
  • Then do /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd stop followed by /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd start
  • I then cannot access any of the NFS shares and obviously neither can the Raspbmc installlation procedure.
  • I get this in the log when i try to access the share via XBMC in Windows (it doesn't let me acccess anything):  mountd[23985]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.2.128:56052 for /mnt/user/Services (/mnt/user/Services)

Any guidance from NFS on unRAID gurus would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...