unraid_notify 2.55 [01-01-2010]: Email notifications for unRAID status

Unfortunately, ISPs like earthlink do not require authentication, but do require ESMTP, so falling back to HELO on lack of authentication will still fail in this case.

I'll work on changing bashmail to fall back to HELO on rejection of ELHO. It appears that's the proper thing to do.

My eathlink requires authentication?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it?

Maybe I'm thinking of Quest or Comcast.  I'm going from a distant memory of an ISP that does not require SMTP Auth, as long as you're sending mail from within their network...  Earthlink had come to mind for some reason.

Man -- I'm getting old.

Does it?

Maybe I'm thinking of Quest or Comcast.  I'm going from a distant memory of an ISP that does not require SMTP Auth, as long as you're sending mail from within their network...  Earthlink had come to mind for some reason.

Man -- I'm getting old.

Let me rephrase that..  Outside the network (which) is how I mostly operate...  They require authentication.  I don't know if I've ever tried smtp from with in the network.  Since it's only for dialup backup and my mom's internet (she uses webmail) I've never tried from within...  At least not with in the last 8 years or so!  ::)

• 2 months later...

Brainbone,

I've run into a little issue with the script.  I was running parity syncs and my drive temps were going up.  I stopped getting emails.  After I looked into it a little I found out I was supposed to be getting error e-mails.  If I commented out the RcptTo field in the cfg file, I started getting the e-mails.

In debug mode it looks like my e-mail server didn't like the format when there was a RcptTo and an ErrorRcptTo.  I dove in the script and I commented out the second a=0 in the place where it's building the To: header.  That seems to make it work correctly.  What are your thoughts?

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Thanx for that great script.

A little question : can it be used with acpups UPS ?

Can it send me an email when power is out and the unRAID is on battery ?

I did try to cut the power on the UPS but nothing happened.

So is it possible or am I missing something ?

Do I have to add something to the config file to support UPS ?

:)

Hi,

Thanx for that great script.

A little question : can it be used with acpups UPS ?

Can it send me an email when power is out and the unRAID is on battery ?

I did try to cut the power on the UPS but nothing happened.

So is it possible or am I missing something ?

Do I have to add something to the config file to support UPS ?

:)

The apcupsd command just sends mail to root.  It is up to you to configure a mail command to forward it onward.

The mail command should be able to tested as follows:

echo "this is a test of mail" | mail -s "this is a test" [email protected]

If that works, then try

echo "this is a test of root mail" | mail -s "this is a second test" root

if neither works the UPS daemon program will never be able to send mail until you install a working mail command.  If the first one one does, but the second does not, you've got to forward "root" e-mail.  (more configuration you need to perform)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me how to perform the addition by 'jbuszkie' as he states:

"Since I just added a cache disk, I felt compelled to add support for cache disk reporting.I haven't done extensive testing..  but it works on my system! :-) Just add it to the tgz file (after you strip off the .txt)  The cfg file is included for completeness.  There were no changes to that since I last posted a change."

I am a newbie and cannot seem to understand exactly how to "add it to the tgz file after stripping off the.txt"?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm pretty much a linux noob, and I've been trying to follow the directions but was immediately stopped at this point in brainbone's first post instructions:

2) Place the following attached file on your unraid flash drive:

unraid_notify-2.30-noarch-unRAID.tgz (the file included in the unraid_notify .zip)

Only, in his attachment, there is no file called "unraid_notify-2.30-noarch-unRAID.tgz". The only files are:

• LICENSE.txt
  • README.txt
  • unraid_notify.cfg

Am I missing something here?

Only, in his attachment, there is no file called "unraid_notify-2.30-noarch-unRAID.tgz".

When I unzip the attachment you linked, there is a .tgz file in there too.

I see 4 files

root@Atlas /tmp #unzip -v unraid_notify-2.3.0.zip

Archive:  unraid_notify-2.3.0.zip

Length  Method    Size  Ratio  Date  Time  CRC-32    Name

--------  ------  ------- -----  ----  ----  ------    ----

8665  Stored    8665  0%  01-21-09 19:12  ff4b1866  unraid_notify-2.30-noarch-unRAID.tgz

18326  Defl:N    6942  62%  10-01-08 13:17  5b2bff86  LICENSE.txt

1306  Defl:N      588  55%  01-21-09 19:16  535afc8d  README.txt

3198  Defl:N    1462  54%  10-01-08 12:42  b7914541  unraid_notify.cfg

--------          -------  ---                            -------

31495            17657  44%                            4 files

Only, in his attachment, there is no file called "unraid_notify-2.30-noarch-unRAID.tgz".

When I unzip the attachment you linked, there is a .tgz file in there too.

I see 4 files

root@Atlas /tmp #unzip -v unraid_notify-2.3.0.zip

Archive:  unraid_notify-2.3.0.zip

Length   Method    Size  Ratio   Date   Time   CRC-32    Name

--------  ------  ------- -----   ----   ----   ------    ----

8665  Stored     8665   0%  01-21-09 19:12  ff4b1866  unraid_notify-2.30-noarch-unRAID.tgz

18326  Defl:N     6942  62%  10-01-08 13:17  5b2bff86  LICENSE.txt

1306  Defl:N      588  55%  01-21-09 19:16  535afc8d  README.txt

3198  Defl:N     1462  54%  10-01-08 12:42  b7914541  unraid_notify.cfg

--------          -------  ---                            -------

31495            17657  44%                            4 files

What the heck....I unzipped it in Win7, maybe that's why? Umm... I'll try to do it directly through putty.

What the heck....I unzipped it in Win7, maybe that's why? Umm... I'll try to do it directly through putty.

Hmmmmm... I don't have unzip installed, but I tried it in 7-zip (windows) and lo and behold, it's there.

Turns out it was hidden, forgot to check the obvious (windows default zip handler doesn't show it unless you have 'show hidden files/folders' on).

At any rate, I think I got it working... is it necessary to keep these lines in /boot/config/go, once they're installed, or can I remove them once I've rebooted once?

installpkg /boot/socat-1.7.0.0-i486-2bj.tgz (if you will be using Secure SMTP)
installpkg /boot/unraid_notify-2.30-noarch-unRAID.tgz

is it necessary to keep these lines in /boot/config/go, once they're installed, or can I remove them once I've rebooted once?

Yes, The root filesystem is on a ramdisk.

The packages will need to be installed every time you boot.

We usually recommend a /boot/packages directory for all the third party packages/addons.

This keeps the flash drive neater.

is it necessary to keep these lines in /boot/config/go, once they're installed, or can I remove them once I've rebooted once?

Yes, The root filesystem is on a ramdisk.

The packages will need to be installed every time you boot.

We usually recommend a /boot/packages directory for all the third party packages/addons.

This keeps the flash drive neater.

As WeeboTech pointed out we recommend using /boot/packages for this kind of stuff.  You can also take a look at the unRAID wiki entry on the Third Party Boot Flash Plugin Architecture.  A lot of the people who contribute (write plugins) here have some form of this architecture in place and make use of it.

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me how to perform the addition by 'jbuszkie' as he states:

"Since I just added a cache disk, I felt compelled to add support for cache disk reporting.I haven't done extensive testing..  but it works on my system! :-) Just add it to the tgz file (after you strip off the .txt)  The cfg file is included for completeness.  There were no changes to that since I last posted a change."

I am a newbie and cannot seem to understand exactly how to "add it to the tgz file after stripping off the.txt"?

Thanks!

Did you ever figure this out?  My notifications seem to have stopped so I didn't see this when it was first posted. 

Did you ever figure this out?  My notifications seem to have stopped so I didn't see this when it was first posted. 

Finally got around to looking at your spun-down modifications (need to get a new version of unraid_notify out in anticipation of changes Tom will/may make to unraid's spin-down logic), and I'm having trouble remembering exactly what you were trying to accomplish with your changes.  It looks like you are not sending any notification if all drives are spun down, but sending notifications on all drives (spinning or not) if any drives are spun up.  Is this correct?

Finally got around to looking at your spun-down modifications (need to get a new version of unraid_notify out in anticipation of changes Tom will/may make to unraid's spin-down logic), and I'm having trouble remembering exactly what you were trying to accomplish with your changes.   It looks like you are not sending any notification if all drives are spun down, but sending notifications on all drives (spinning or not) if any drives are spun up.  Is this correct?

Yup..  That was about the jist of it..  I also added support for cache drives...

Yes.  At least its working for me with 4.5-beta11.

The major change is disabling the spin-down feature of unraid_notify, since it will interfere with what Tom appears to be planning for versions after 4.5-beta11.    unRAID has spun down disks since version 4.4.2 (IIRC), so this feature in unraid_notify became redundant at that point, and its deactivation is long over due.

A few thoughts/questions:

I'm thinking about breaking unraid_notify down into a more modular form, with a core monitoring script calling out to separate jobs (email notification, etc.) on different events (error, temp, etc.)  --  kind of like a cron for monitoring events, allowing the easy addition of new jobs for each event.

Questions:

Are there scripts that already do this for unraid?

Any reason (other than lack of available time) for me not to do this?

Is this already officially planned as a core feature for future versions of unraid?

Is there any interest in this? (would it be used?)