unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc11 Available

limetech

If that's really what Tom is doing then Version 5 will never be officially released if he keeps up with that sort of release management.

This is why I'm moving on from unraid being anything other than a storage appliance. Unraid nows runs in a VM for me and I'm in the process of moving all my plugins and apps to another VM running FreeBSD. The pace of development of version 5 simply can't be defended anymore. It's ridiculous. We've been on this current RC just shy of 2 months now. Not to mention the fact that eleven release candidates has got to be some sort of world record. I realize this may be Tom's livelihood but this product being developed by a single person is just not cutting it.

Would you have preferred that RC2 was Final and we were at 5.1.1 or 5.0.9 now?

Its only a number, but for some reason people need the word 'final' before considering it ok, even if the code underneath hasn't changed!!!

I've been using UnRAID since 5b6 (going on two years now), its worked almost perfectly and the small bugs that did occur were fixed and at no point did I suffer data loss.

The rc11 is just a title and DOES NOT NECESSARILY reflect the solidness of the code.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If that's really what Tom is doing then Version 5 will never be officially released if he keeps up with that sort of release management.

This is why I'm moving on from unraid being anything other than a storage appliance. Unraid nows runs in a VM for me and I'm in the process of moving all my plugins and apps to another VM running FreeBSD. The pace of development of version 5 simply can't be defended anymore. It's ridiculous. We've been on this current RC just shy of 2 months now. Not to mention the fact that eleven release candidates has got to be some sort of world record. I realize this may be Tom's livelihood but this product being developed by a single person is just not cutting it.

Would you have preferred that RC2 was Final and we were at 5.1.1 or 5.0.9 now?

Its only a number, but for some reason people need the word 'final' before considering it ok, even if the code underneath hasn't changed!!!

I've been using UnRAID since 5b6 (going on two years now), its worked almost perfectly and the small bugs that did occur were fixed and at no point did I suffer data loss.

The rc11 is just a title and DOES NOT NECESSARILY reflect the solidness of the code.

The number issue really wasn't my point. My point was we've been sitting on this RC for 2 months and I haven't seen word of any progress that would point to letting us advance to either RC12 or final or whatever. There are specific issues Tom has said is holding us at RC11. What, if any, progress has been made with those issues? We're left in the dark.

I too have been using version 5 for a bit over 2 years now and it has also worked fine for me. But permanent beta is no way to develop a product.

I'm still running 5b12 (Aug 2011!) on my main server, its been rock solid.  My test server has had every version since then and also not had any major issues.  I'm also seriously considering moving to vmware and just using unraid for pure storage....  just because having a full OS with a package manager would be a lot easier and a damn sight more flexible.