unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc11 Available

limetech

Last night I decided to install my brand new m1015 controller. Problem was I'm on 5b14 and failed to see any posts about the sleep bug with LSI cards and b14. Had a drive redball after trying to sleep. Put my old controller back in and I'm rebuilding the drive with it then I'm going to run reiserfsck.

Can anyone verify RC11 plays nice with m1015s? I've seen posts with people saying it was fixed for RC3 and some using RC8 without issue. I also saw a post by Johnm with some redball issues with his MV8s with RC11.

Just looking to get verification for RC11 specifically. Would hate to upgrade to find that it was good with RC3 through RC8 but crept back in for RC11

The LSI cards worked in beta12a, but then had problems until one of the middle release candidates.  There are no problems for the LSI controllers for either RC10 or RC11.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

updated to 11 from 10 last night prior to installing 6 new drives to pre-clear. this morning 5 of the 6 drives are in the post read state but one of the 3tb drives is stuck on step 2 at 50% reading records in and out very slowly I would assume that to be a bad drive at this point.  My concern is that I have a stack trace in the syslog from a fresh boot into rc11 attached is the syslog.

One other thing I notice in the syslog when ur mounts or checks all the drives there is no sdg drive noted that I could find, but in unraid main there is a sdg drive in the array with data on it. It is not one of the new drives. I have parity + 8 data + flash and 6 new drives pre-clearing that are not assigned.

Thanks,

Dave

syslog-2013-03-10.txt

can unraid interface be fixed? its always to slow to load and most times it doesn't that and it many times just crashes completely until you restart the server. All other programs like sabnzbd,sickbeard and unmenu load instant and never crash for me.

can unraid interface be fixed? its always to slow to load and most times it doesn't that and it many times just crashes completely until you restart the server. All other programs like sabnzbd,sickbeard and unmenu load instant and never crash for me.

Maybe you're trying to run too many plugins. Since you haven't provided any info other than some plugins you are running who knows.

updated to 11 from 10 last night prior to installing 6 new drives to pre-clear. this morning 5 of the 6 drives are in the post read state but one of the 3tb drives is stuck on step 2 at 50% reading records in and out very slowly I would assume that to be a bad drive at this point.  My concern is that I have a stack trace in the syslog from a fresh boot into rc11 attached is the syslog.

One other thing I notice in the syslog when ur mounts or checks all the drives there is no sdg drive noted that I could find, but in unraid main there is a sdg drive in the array with data on it. It is not one of the new drives. I have parity + 8 data + flash and 6 new drives pre-clearing that are not assigned.

This should probably be a separate thread in the v5.0 support board, not in the Release Announcement thread.

I don't recognize the Stack trace elements, so can't say if it's anything important or harmless.  It appears to involve the IPI system ( ? ), and notes "comm: dd Tainted: G".  I haven't seen anyone else with this.  It's very tempting to relate it to Preclearing 6 drives at the same time!  I assume you were trying to find out how many you could do before something broke?!?  ;)

Your flash drive is sdg, which is not part of the array, is setup in the syslog quite normally.  You may have missed it.  The one drive that has not finished is sdj, a WD30EZRX 3TB drive.  There are no issues reported, so have no idea why it is taking longer.  A SMART report may help.

This should probably be a separate thread in the v5.0 Support board, not in the Release Announcement thread.

Can you provide more specifics about what is failing?  Please include a syslog that includes a crash or two.  I am not aware of any issues with the 'unraid interface', are you referring to the Web Management pages?

This should probably be a separate thread in the v5.0 support board, not in the Release Announcement thread.

I don't recognize the Stack trace elements, so can't say if it's anything important or harmless.  It appears to involve the IPI system ( ? ), and notes "comm: dd Tainted: G".  I haven't seen anyone else with this.  It's very tempting to relate it to Preclearing 6 drives at the same time!  I assume you were trying to find out how many you could do before something broke?!?  ;)

Your flash drive is sdg, which is not part of the array, is setup in the syslog quite normally.  You may have missed it.  The one drive that has not finished is sdj, a WD30EZRX 3TB drive.  There are no issues reported, so have no idea why it is taking longer.  A SMART report may help.

Thanks, The drives are taking a while to pre-clear none of them have finshed yet and it is now almost 24 hours. I do not think I will do that again  :-[. Why I mentioned the sdg drive is that on the printout from the array prior to adding the new drives sdg was a data drive in the array which is why I was confused.

rgds,

Dave

Why I mentioned the sdg drive is that on the printout from the array prior to adding the new drives sdg was a data drive in the array which is why I was confused.

It has been pointed out so many times in these forums that the order of drive assignment by the operating system is dependant on the time taken by each drive to come online.  The drive which is sdg today could well be sda after the next reboot.  Never, ever, assume that you can identify a drive by its sdx assignment.

Ok.

rc5

Linux 3.0.35-unRAID.
root@UNRAID:~# dd  if=/dev/zero  of=/mnt/disk1/testfile  bs=1M count=1000
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 21.2893 s, 49.3 MB/s

rc11

Linux 3.4.26-unRAID.
root@UNRAID:~# dd  if=/dev/zero  of=/mnt/disk1/testfile  bs=1M count=1000
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 25.5272 s, 41.1 MB/s

So about the same i guess. A tad slower perhaps.

Replaced the SAS2LP with a M1015 in IT mode, and installed v5.0-rc11.

New testresults...

root@UNRAID:/mnt/disk1# dd  if=/dev/zero  of=/mnt/disk1/testfile  bs=1M count=1000
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 17.3648 s, 60.4 MB/s

8)

Also parity check speeds are a lot better. Still not as good as under rc8 with a SAS2LP, but with a sustained 120MB/s over about 1 hour 2 to 3 times faster then using rc11 with a SAS2LP... rc11 sometimes even did a terrible 20MB/s using the SAS2LP.

So... unraid rc11 has issues with the SAS2LP card, that's for sure.

Could be, but i'm not the only one having these issues. Maybe its a combination of mobo and sas cards, who knows. Fact is, i got terrible performance using rc11 on my system, and replacing the sas2lp with a m1015 solved it for 90%. And the only thing changed is the sas card... nothing else.

But tell me, what is your start- end and average parity check speed and read/write speed? Maybe you think its acceptable, which is not the same as good ;)

Could be, but i'm not the only one having these issues. Maybe its a combination of mobo and sas cards, who knows. Fact is, i got terrible performance using rc11 on my system, and replacing the sas2lp with a m1015 solved it for 90%. And the only thing changed is the sas card... nothing else.

But tell me, what is your start- end and average parity check speed and read/write speed? Maybe you think its acceptable, which is not the same as good ;)

Wish we could get official confirmation. I'm tired of my 20-24 hour parity syncs on BOTH of my 3x SAS2LP systems. I have to roll all the way back to Beta12 in order to get 100MB/s parity checks.

Hi

Im bought mainboard Asrock Extreme 11 with - LSI 2308

And unfortunately I have to say there is bug in unraid with driver mpt2sas :(

Im mount 7 disk WD RED 3TB + SSD (8 disk to SAS - LSI )

after format in time parity sync i get always crash of driver - some kernel error :( im try unraid RC8a and RC11

Here my logs:

http://pastebin.com/Tkew5YgU

https://truck.it/p/DYfTCXdmN9

https://truck.it/p/edRg1f0Xa1

About testing, im try also only on 3 disk and add one by one to 8, but alwayes i get crash sometimes after 1%, someties after 29%

Im check all connectors and even replace all cables SATA on new ONE, im 100% sure this is no Hardware Issue :(

@TOM i hope is possibility fix that before FINAL :(

This is new Chipset "LSI 2308" working on PCIE 3.0 i think this could be some Kernel bug, maybe on higher version will be fine

Damn... installed SimpleFeatures 1.0.11 on rc11, and parity check was back to 20-30MB/s... nice work for just a 'shell'. Yes i know, SF is a 3rd party thingy. But still...

So, removed SimpleFeatures, speed was back to 140MB/s :o ... i think i'm just gonna stop this nonsense, and go back to what runs best on my machine, and that is v5.0-rc5.

Maybe in 2 years or so, when v5.0 is finalized and all bugs and issues are fixed, i'll try again. For now, i'm fed up with it.

Hi

Im bought mainboard Asrock Extreme 11 with - LSI 2308

And unfortunately I have to say there is bug in unraid with driver mpt2sas :(

Im mount 7 disk WD RED 3TB + SSD (8 disk to SAS - LSI )

after format in time parity sync i get always crash of driver - some kernel error :( im try unraid RC8a and RC11

Here my logs:

http://pastebin.com/Tkew5YgU

https://truck.it/p/DYfTCXdmN9

https://truck.it/p/edRg1f0Xa1

About testing, im try also only on 3 disk and add one by one to 8, but alwayes i get crash sometimes after 1%, someties after 29%

Im check all connectors and even replace all cables SATA on new ONE, im 100% sure this is no Hardware Issue :(

@TOM i hope is possibility fix that before FINAL :(

This is new Chipset "LSI 2308" working on PCIE 3.0 i think this could be some Kernel bug, maybe on higher version will be fine

I am interested in this board please consider starting a new thread dedicated to it and the issues you are seeing.

Bugs dont get fixed if not reported. Reports dont come in less users try betas. Least he has them as Betas and RC for a long time to fix any issues. I think the simple thing for you would to be just uninstall Simplefeatures. It is a 3rd party plugin after all and never guaranteed compatability. I just did this and will wait for an update from the developer of it.

Damn... installed SimpleFeatures 1.0.11 on rc11, and parity check was back to 20-30MB/s... nice work for just a 'shell'. Yes i know, SF is a 3rd party thingy. But still...

So, removed SimpleFeatures, speed was back to 140MB/s :o ... i think i'm just gonna stop this nonsense, and go back to what runs best on my machine, and that is v5.0-rc5.

Maybe in 2 years or so, when v5.0 is finalized and all bugs and issues are fixed, i'll try again. For now, i'm fed up with it.

Tom can we please have an update on 5.0 final? It's been a while since anything has been posted from Lime Tech about progress and it would be helpful to understand what issues are being worked. Thx

He is currently working on a 64-bit version to solve one of the other problems people are encountering.

Sadly, unless he sets a small core of hardware that is 100% supported, issues will arise, even from just changing the linux core...

Some people will always be unhappy, and that is life.

If that's really what Tom is doing then Version 5 will never be officially released if he keeps up with that sort of release management.

This is why I'm moving on from unraid being anything other than a storage appliance. Unraid nows runs in a VM for me and I'm in the process of moving all my plugins and apps to another VM running FreeBSD. The pace of development of version 5 simply can't be defended anymore. It's ridiculous. We've been on this current RC just shy of 2 months now. Not to mention the fact that eleven release candidates has got to be some sort of world record. I realize this may be Tom's livelihood but this product being developed by a single person is just not cutting it.