unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc11 Available

limetech

Thanks Joe - no I wasn't ware of that command.  I'll play around with it and see if I can learn anything.  I'm over my head with this stuff already, not really a Linux guy.

update, just found this one, www.slackware.org.il/slackware/slackware-12.2/slackware/a/inotify-tools-3.13-i486-1.tgz

Did I find the right version?

@ kricker - please do check yours and share anything you learn.  Thanks a bunch!

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can report that I am not having any issues with spindown on rc11. Right now all disks are spun down except cache and my torrent seed.

I have SimpleFeatures, Dropbox, Transmission, NZBGet, APC UPS, Hamachi, Swap File.

Don't currently have Plex but am planning to use it after I upgrade my CPU.

No other computers are currently accessing any shares.

Please start another thread in the general support section for our experience/results of using inotifywatch.

It has nothing to do with this release.

Joe L.

Sure Joe, I'll do that.  Assuming this is not related to the updated samba included with rc11, I agree.  Started here because I didn't have this issue before rc11.

I'm currently on 5.0RC10. Are there any specific instructions if I want to update to RC11. I seem to have read somewhere that some had trouble booting the server after upgrading to RC11. Or can I just copy the bzroot and bzimage?

Overwriting bzroot and bzimage is sufficient (of course need to reboot)!

Very good.  I've added that link and instruction to the migration guide.

No need to do it like described here ? :

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25609.msg222891#msg222891

It is better if you do copy those files...  (You'll get the extra menu choices if you do)

Very good.  I've added that link and instruction to the migration guide.

No need to do it like described here ? :

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25609.msg222891#msg222891

It is better if you do copy those files...  (You'll get the extra menu choices if you do)

I copied those files and rebooted but the booting hang at the syslinux message.

I then mounted the unraid usb stick in a Windows 7 VM and ran make_bootable.bat.

Rebooted all and was greeted with the unraid menu with the 4GB option in place. Just choose unraid though. Theis morning memory info showed that of the 16 GB RAM, 11 GB was used. The mover had run overnight noting else.

I just rebooted the server with the 4GB limit and memory info shows like in the attachment with SABNZB downloading.

Will I run into problems? Should I change OOM killer settings. Or should I try to lower SABNZBDs memory usage?

Would it be possible to make the 4GB limit option the default?

Must say that after updating to RC11 the server seems snappier. Just an overall observation after couple of hours usage. I am in 4 GB limit "mode" at the moment.

memory.jpg.0e239aa5fee306bee5187ad4c3dec461.jpg

just a note. i upgraded from rc5-r8168 to this (rc11) and the array was auto started upon initial boot. this is not expected based on the release notes and migration steps.

I believe once you have moved from a version lower then 5.0 beta1 and you have set the 'Enable Auto Start' to 'Yes' on the 'Settings', 'Disk Settings' page, the array will auto start anytime you upgrade from one beta or rc candidate to the next one.  If you don't want this to happen, you probably have to change the setting to 'No' before you reboot (or shutdown) the server for the upgrade. I don't believe this behavior (auto starting) has cause anyone any problems directly.  Coming from version 4.7 and lower, you do want the opportunity of determining that all of the drives are properly assigned before any attempt is made to start the array. 

I wonder if other people experience considerable lower parity check speeds with rc11 compared to rc5?

If you have a look at [url-http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25890.0]this[/url] thread, you will realise that the answer  is 'Yes'.

However, there doesn't seem to be an explanation or a fix yet.  It just seems that the SAS2LP-MV8 doesn't work well on rc11.