unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc11 Available

limetech

oh dear...  it appears I quoted the wrong msg...    sorry

Statement still stands though, I think.  Plugins are not part of the core package and hence should not be running when problems are reported on an RC thread.

Sure, they're important, but they should always be removed on upgrade; otherwise it's just wasting the precious time of people on here that are kind enough to help others out.

And my own stupidity needs the advice of those people :)

EDIT: made post less aggressive.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can I suggest a "reboot without addons" option on the web gui?  I don't normally have a monitor connected to my unraid box, so if the way to do this relied on making a choice upon startup, I'd not easily be able to do it.

The problem with any sort of solution like this is that while you can rename the folders most use for their plugins and packages, some may load packages from custom folders on the flash drive via their go script.  You could create an empty copy of the go script, but if people have hardware workarounds or something like that being run via the go script those disappear too.

While an automated solution would be nice, it's probably better to do these types of things manually, note what you're changing, and how to revert those changes back to how things were functioning previously. 

It's actually very easy to create your own "boot without add-ons" scenario.

Just create a couple of batch files to copy two different versions of your GO script to the UnRAID flash drive ... one that just loads the webgui;  one that loads your normal config.    For example, ...

Copy C:\UnRAID Script for No Adds\go  \\Tower\flash\config\  /Y

would copy the go script file to the flash drive without waiting for a replacement confirmation prompt.    So if you put that line in an UnRAID No Adds.cmd file, and then put a shortcut to that file on the desktop called "Set UnRAID for No AddOns", a simple double-click of the shortcut will set it so there won't be any addons with the next reboot (which you can do from the web GUI).

I use a pair of scripts like this to boot with/without the Cache_Dirs script  (which I do not want running if I'm going to do a parity check).

It's actually very easy to create your own "boot without add-ons" scenario.

Just create a couple of batch files to copy two different versions of your GO script to the UnRAID flash drive ... one that just loads the webgui;  one that loads your normal config.    For example, ...

Copy C:\UnRAID Script for No Adds\go  \\Tower\flash\config\  /Y

would copy the go script file to the flash drive without waiting for a replacement confirmation prompt.    So if you put that line in an UnRAID No Adds.cmd file, and then put a shortcut to that file on the desktop called "Set UnRAID for No AddOns", a simple double-click of the shortcut will set it so there won't be any addons with the next reboot (which you can do from the web GUI).

I use a pair of scripts like this to boot with/without the Cache_Dirs script  (which I do not want running if I'm going to do a parity check).

There's more to it than just the go file, though. Anything in /boot/extra/ , /boot/plugins/ , /boot/config/plugins are going to be installed automatically too.

Upgraded to 5.0-rc11a yesterday from 5.0-rc8a and all was running fine until this morning.

Please be aware that you have upgraded to rc11a, not the current rc11.  RC11a is an unofficial test version that *may* behave differently than the version the rest of us are testing, even though its small change log seems quite harmless.  In software development, you never know what a small change may do elsewhere, and because this was a special test version, it may or may not have been compiled optimally for full production.  So it's possible that any issues you may have, may only be related to that version, not the general official version RC11.

I tries to stop the array and tried to add a drive but as soon as i did i lost my connection to the sever via browser and telnet, In the end i decided on a hard shutdown.

Whenever you have a problem develop, make every possible attempt to capture a syslog before shutting down.  It's not always possible I know...  but try as hard as you can.  There's generally nothing more informative than the syslog that covers the period of the issue.

When i brought the server back up a parity check wasn't initiated automatically like it normal dose when you shutdown by holding the power button in.

I couldn't access my shares or the unraid web interface either from the other machines on the network, I was able however able to access the server with the unmenu web interface and tell it to shut down the server, It took  ages for the server to shut down but it did in the end.

When UnMENU was running would have been a perfect time to capture a copy of the syslog!

Can I suggest a "reboot without addons" option on the web gui?  I don't normally have a monitor connected to my unraid box, so if the way to do this relied on making a choice upon startup, I'd not easily be able to do it.

The problem with any sort of solution like this is that while you can rename the folders most use for their plugins and packages, some may load packages from custom folders on the flash drive via their go script.  You could create an empty copy of the go script, but if people have hardware workarounds or something like that being run via the go script those disappear too.

While an automated solution would be nice, it's probably better to do these types of things manually, note what you're changing, and how to revert those changes back to how things were functioning previously.

Manual solutions are certainly going to be better at times for the more experienced users, but from a support standpoint, a simple automated solution is really desirable.  Both a 'Clean Boot' option on the syslinux boot menu, and the 'Reboot Clean' option in the webgui.  Tom will know better, but it seems rather simple - before go file is loaded, a module detects clean boot mode and uses stock go file only, and skips installing from /boot/extras and the plugin folders.

By the way, what hardware workarounds are you thinking of, that would be important to maintain even in a clean boot, which is for testing purposes only, not normal production?

I suppose we could have 2 go files, the regular one, and another called something like go.clean, which is essentially the stock go file, unless you have added something that you always require, whatever the mode.

Right. That whole thing with /boot/extra/ , /boot/plugins/ , /boot/config/plugins , /boot/whatever , started in the 5-beta series, and I think it's a bad thing. Unraid has no busines doing that as long as it provides the hook to a 'GO' script.

Okay, so you would argue that it's more user-friendly to expect a naive user to edit a script file, rather than simply placing an add-on file in the appropriate location?

I'm afraid that I don't agree with you!

That's not connected to the point I was making.

Well, I thought it was!  You describe the use of special directories for add-ons as 'a bad thing', but appeared to be supporting the 'hand-editing' of the 'go' script.

I say:

Lock down the 'go' script and extend the use of the 'special' directories.  For instance, there may well be a need to launch certain things (additional drivers or libraries?) before emhttp is started.  Better still would be the implementation of a full plugin manager.

Justin,  As you may or may not know, you don't need a monitor always attached to your unraid box to access the "console" there is an application called putty that will do that for you.  Using the telnet protocol you can have console access at any time with out a monitor attached.  Make sure you set the "translation option" within Putty to UTF-8.

google "putty" to find and download it.

--Sideband Samurai

Justin,  As you may or may not know, you don't need a monitor always attached to your unraid box to access the "console" there is an application called putty that will do that for you.  Using the telnet protocol you can have console access at any time with out a monitor attached.  Make sure you set the "translation option" within Putty to UTF-8.

google "putty" to find and download it.

--Sideband Samurai

Use it a great deal, and it comes in very handy (kind of wish it didn't, but hey-ho).  However, a safe reboot option from the web-gui wouldn't go amiss also.

I also use it all the time, since I don't have a monitor hooked up normally.  But that's kind of my point.  PuTTy only works once the server is up and running.  I can't see the startup options from PuTTy, or without a monitor connected to the machine, so if a 'start without plugins' option was added, but was only selectable upon startup, I couldn't really use it, since I don't have a monitor connected, and PuTTy isn't connectable until it's already started.

If such an option is added, i was simply requesting it be available from the normal web gui, so that I could select, 'restart without plugins' and would not need to hook up a monitor to take advantage.

I also use it all the time, since I don't have a monitor hooked up normally.  But that's kind of my point.  PuTTy only works once the server is up and running.  I can't see the startup options from PuTTy, or without a monitor connected to the machine, so if a 'start without plugins' option was added, but was only selectable upon startup, I couldn't really use it, since I don't have a monitor connected, and PuTTy isn't connectable until it's already started.

You could always get a server motherboard with IPMI.  ;)

Or virtualize using vSphere.

To work properly he'd need a CPU with vt-d, hence, server equipment.

Is anyone else having any issues with drives not spinning down?  After removing my plugins (except SF), I still have smb connections that are keeping my drives spun up.  None of my clients have changed and in fact, I have powered just about everything off.  I did not have this issue with 3.6.8 (pre rc11), even with all my plugins installed.  I didn't want to remove SF, as I'm really need the email notify.

when I use the fuser -mv command, I see that smb demond is the issue, so it would appear that a client is connecting via smb.  Again, none of my clients have changed and I didn't have this isssue before rc11 (which think updated smb to 6.8.10).  My workstation is Win 7, but that hasn't changed in over a year.

Given it's a pain to remove the plugins and keep rebooting, I decided to post here.  Yes, I will remove SF if I have to and post in that thread, providing nobody else is having this issue with the new samba version.

Is anyone else having any issues with drives not spinning down?  After removing my plugins (except SF), I still have smb connections that are keeping my drives spun up.  None of my clients have changed and in fact, I have powered just about everything off.  I did not have this issue with 3.6.8 (pre rc11), even with all my plugins installed.  I didn't want to remove SF, as I'm really need the email notify.

when I use the fuser -mv command, I see that smb demond is the issue, so it would appear that a client is connecting via smb.  Again, none of my clients have changed and I didn't have this isssue before rc11 (which think updated smb to 6.8.10).  My workstation is Win 7, but that hasn't changed in over a year.

Given it's a pain to remove the plugins and keep rebooting, I decided to post here.  Yes, I will remove SF if I have to and post in that thread, providing nobody else is having this issue with the new samba version.

Have you tried using "inotifywatch" to actually see the disk access to identify what is being accessed?  It is by far the easiest in my experience.

Joe L.

To work properly he'd need a CPU with vt-d, hence, server equipment.

Granted, it's preferred, but RAW mappings work fine.

Edit: As for server equipment, my Asrock 990FX based motherboard with Phenom II works great and fully supports IOMMU. I have my M1015 passed through to an unraid VM.

Have you tried using "inotifywatch" to actually see the disk access to identify what is being accessed?  It is by far the easiest in my experience.

Joe L.

I need to check this disk access as well. I have a similar situation on a sever I put rc11 on.