unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc11 Available

limetech

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... unfortunately it may be hard to implement until the plugin manager is implemented as the additions might be installed in different ways.....

I wouldn't have thought it would be hard - aren't all addons run under the control of unRAID ... either through the 'go' script, or from the /boot/config/plugins directory?

With v5.0-rc5 i've had parity check speeds in excess of 110MB/s, with rc11 it doesn't go faster then about 80MB/s. I've just went back to rc5, and i am now doing a parity check at almost 140MB/s :o bringing the time back from over 12 hours to under 8 hours... I know, the parity check speed is just one aspect of the total system, but i think it's a huge difference in speed, i dont know why this is? Shouldnt it be just the same on both versions?

For the record, i'm back to v5.0-rc5...

parcheck.png.b004fddff0568d68a79da05f1eac384d.png

With v5.0-rc5 i've had parity check speeds in excess of 110MB/s, with rc11 it doesn't go faster then about 80MB/s. I've just went back to rc5, and i am now doing a parity check at almost 140MB/s :o bringing the time back from over 12 hours to under 8 hours... I know, the parity check speed is just one aspect of the total system, but i think it's a huge difference in speed, i dont know why this is? Shouldnt it be just the same on both versions?

Did you perform these parity checks under both versions without any addons? As far as I know all of your addons will continue to run during parity checks and any read/writes they are doing will affect the parity check performance. To really eliminate everything except the unRAID versions you should test parity check speed without addons.

... unfortunately it may be hard to implement until the plugin manager is implemented as the additions might be installed in different ways.....

I wouldn't have thought it would be hard - aren't all addons run under the control of unRAID ... either through the 'go' script, or from the /boot/config/plugins directory?

There is also /boot/extra but without modifications to core unRAID I think it does control running of all addons.

This sounds like a good idea to me too.

Did you perform these parity checks under both versions without any addons? As far as I know all of your addons will continue to run during parity checks and any read/writes they are doing will affect the parity check performance. To really eliminate everything except the unRAID versions you should test parity check speed without addons.

Same situation, all plugins/addons enabled, but not in an active state (e.g. not actually downloading or serving music etc).

Basically a normal situation... dont tell me you disable all plugins before doing the standard weekly/monthly check... ;)

Same situation, all plugins/addons enabled, but not in an active state (e.g. not actually downloading or serving music etc).

Basically a normal situation... dont tell me you disable all plugins before doing the standard weekly/monthly check... ;)

No I don't disable anything normally, but a performance test is not a normal situation.

With v5.0-rc5 i've had parity check speeds in excess of 110MB/s, with rc11 it doesn't go faster then about 80MB/s.

I'm getting 110+MB/s on rc11, just like I've seen on most other releases.

I've just went back to rc5, and i am now doing a parity check at almost 140MB/s

That's very good - those drives must be fast, because parity check speed is more-or-less determined by the speed of your slowest drive and is, obviously, affected by any addon, or client application, which may decide to wake up and access drives during the check.

For instance, I see the speed drop by around 10MB/s if Transmission is running on my desktop machine (all my torrent files are held on unRAID).

What we don't need is useless posts like this one!  Get a life and stop trying to suck up to Tom!  Addons and plugins are what make unraid a complete solution.

His post was perfectly appropriate, and unlike yours, not an inflammatory one.

I find Unraid to be a good solution even without plugins, and this extra churn dealing with plugins probably is not helpful to the release of a "clean" 5.0.

I think I've seen that Tom released a 5.0-rc11a version, but that doesn't seem to be what is linked to in the first post.  Am I mistaken that there is an "a" version, or am i just missing it somehow?

I'm going to take this afternoon to upgrade and do some hardware maintenance, so i want to make sure I'm using the latest version; even though murphy's law says Tom will release a new version as soon as I'm done :)

11 is the latest, there is a small intermediate version called 11a that Tom uses to test, as soon as it is stable enough there will be a formal 11a or maybe a 12.

You can trust the forums to give the latest formal version, everything "higher" and not listed you should not use as it may be specific to a certain scenario a specific user is asked to test.

Upgraded to 5.0-rc11a yesterday from 5.0-rc8a and all was running fine until this morning.

I tries to stop the array and tried to add a drive but as soon as i did i lost my connection to the sever via browser and telnet, In the end i decided on a hard shutdown.

When i brought the server back up a parity check wasn't initiated automatically like it normal dose when you shutdown by holding the power button in.

I couldn't access my shares or the unraid web interface either from the other machines on the network, I was able however able to access the server with the unmenu web interface and tell it to shut down the server, It took  ages for the server to shut down but it did in the end.

Upon bringing the server up again i was able to access the standard web interface and the shares were all active again.

I'm at work at the moment so I'm unable to replicate this, but i will try to add the new drive again tonight and see what happens and report back if the same happens again, and see if i can find a syslog.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, as my 5.0-rc8a was rock solid?

I suspect if you had waited long enough the web interface would have come up OK.

I suspect you had plugins with open files when you attempted to stop the array.

Since you did an unscheduled powerdown, on coming up the system would have been doing quick check of all the disks and replaying any uncommitted journal entries.  This can take several minutes.

Actually, I've seen it take 30 minutes or more on a large system with large disks and a lot of file activity.

Without a syslog for analysis, there is little anyone can do to give you guidance.

Joe L.

I think I've seen that Tom released a 5.0-rc11a version, but that doesn't seem to be what is linked to in the first post.  Am I mistaken that there is an "a" version, or am i just missing it somehow?

I'm going to take this afternoon to upgrade and do some hardware maintenance, so i want to make sure I'm using the latest version; even though murphy's law says Tom will release a new version as soon as I'm done :)

I can't see the original post so I will respond to this.

Unraid 5 rc is not a complete solution, it is a RC and if you are 'RC testing' it you can not expect support for what you think should be a complete solution.  Every time you report a problem and it turns out that it was caused by a plugin, even though you thought it shouldn't have an effect, you are slowing down the advancement of unraid.  It's hard enough as it is with the problems caused by bad hardware without confusing the situation anymore!

I'm not sure if you really meant that response for me, but I'm well aware of the current situation with unRAID, and that any issues are often caused by plugins, and to disable them before asking for help.  I don't think I've reported any problems, nor slowed down the advancement of unRAID with anything I've posted in the release threads.

I was just asking where the most recent version could be found, and I now have it, and the system is up and running fine.  I had some problems, but searching and some troubleshooting got me resolved, without asking any questions here, or derailing the support system.

Please make sure you're directing your anger/frustration at the appropriate parties.