Project: unRAID Addons site

NAS

Announcing an experimental unRAID user add-ons site/repository. This is an experiment using completely free internet assets to test its viability and usefulness. If at a later date it proves popular we will either formalise it onto a commercial host or hand it over to Limetech. I suspect I will quickly become swamped with this so I may need help soon.

Important note. I have set it up using the word unRAID in the URL. According to the official website unRAID is a trademarked word so we use it for convenience only. If Tom wants it changed it will change.

OK so what's it all about. The main purpose of the site is as a repository or dump of all user submitted add-on scripts. Posting scripts to the forum works but it makes it extremely difficult to download them direct to your unRAID box and even more difficult to do it automatically. Using a dedicated domain makes it MUCH easier.

This now I have taken the liberty of adding a couple of recent submitted scripts. I say liberty as there is no license on these scripts so lets set some basic ground rules for having your script submitted to the add-ons site:

1. The script or scripts must be zipped.

2. The zip file should contain no files available elsewhere. i.e. if you need netcat for your script to work lets get that direct from slackware (see later)

3. All scripts should be GPL V2. If you don’t want to use this license then the script cant be hosted. I have ran projects like this before and after a while you end up with every license under the sun.

4. The zip names should be to a defined standard (see later).

5. All submissions should have an accompanying txt file descriptor (see later)

6. Zip files need to be less than 100kB (unlikely to be a problem)

Wget Script

===========

There will be a package added that lists the urls of all required Slackware packages. This is a bit of a kludge but we refine in time. Basically if you need to install a package to make your script run let me know and I will add it to a list. User can then update this file and install on boot all the required packages.

Zip naming

==========

The zip files need a basic naming convention or it will get out of hand. I suggest:

unraid_projectname_pluginname_majorversionnumber_minorversionnumber.zip

E.g.

unraid_unmenu_1_23.zip or unraid_unmenu_sysinfo_1_03.zip

There should be no spaces or characters samba cant understand i.e. ":" and lowercase.

Txt File

========

Each package will maintain a single txt file that contains all relevant information like description, instructions, change log etc. It will be named the same as the zip file without the version number

E.g.

unraid_unmenu.txt

We will likely formalise the internals of this txt file in time.

That’s the basics lets see if we can run with that.

Thoughts?

Parting thoughts

================

I am away quite a lot the next few days so there may be a lag in response.

Just noticed there are ads in the source. I cant see them cause of my blockers but what do you expect for free. Sorry :(

This is a work in progress but it will never be much fancier than it is this now. It’s a repository not a web portal.

If you want added to the repo create the files as per the points above and post them to the forum. PM me to let me know and I will upload them.

The URL WILL change to something independent of the host to allow us to move at will.

See it @ http://unraid.9ix.net/ http://unraid.mirrorz.com/ http://unraid.yi.org/

Thanks for taking the time and effort on this project, it is appreciated

I would like to suggest to any developers to also include basic instructions on installing and use of your scripts for us who are not to versed in  Linux

For example the command to start unraid_unmenu, I have to search this forum every time I want to look it up

Additionally directions for adding them to kron or startup as appropriate

For example I would like to add unraid_unmenu to my startup script, I have not done so yet because I'm a little unsure about exactly how it should be done

Additionally html links to message topics in this this forum for your add on for quick reference or additional pointers/discussions would be helpful

Just some ideas

Thanks to all of you who contribute to this project

I think there should be two standards.

Continue with the .zip standard if chosen, but I would also add the Slackware package standard for those who create standard Slackware package installs.

Normal naming conventions are

layeredaddon-MM.mm.tgz

Where layered addon would be  unmenu_http, unmenu_shell, ftwd, powerdown, mailtool, exim, etc etc,

Where MM is a major revision number.

where mm is a minor revision number.

Slackware .tgz files usually contain a gzipped tar archive of a relative directory tree.

There is usually a doinst.sh script which will be executed after the files are untarred.

This script would be the place to put the post install tar procedures for updating go scripts or conf files.

source commercial hosting

How much bandwidth use do you think we're talking about here?

Trivial amounts likely. We will run with the free hosting until we prove the concept. If it is popular we will either see if Tom is willing to give us a subdomain or I will purchase a domain name and hosting for the community.

NAS,

I think this is a great idea! There are a lot of unRAID projects that seem very appealing to me, but with the fast pace of development, it's becoming impossible to keep up.  Your idea sounds like a great one-stop-shop for finding the latest versions of some of these great add-ons.

Thanks we will see if people use it. So far no one has asked for their script to be hosted so we will just wait and see. :)

Update: Please use this URL now. Let me know if there is a problem. http://unraid.mirrorz.com/

I'd be happy to add unraid_notify,  however, Joe L. (and kenshin?) would need to confirm that the script I derived unraid_notify from is GPL v2. 

The "bashmail" script used in unraid_notify is under GPL v2 -- unfortunately unraid_notify is in question.

On a side note;  A count of the number of times a file has been downloaded would be nice to see.

You've got my OK for GPL v2...  Probably need to add the proper GPL notice and affiliated license file wherever it is stored.

Joe L.

I'd be happy to add unraid_notify,  however, Joe L. (and kenshin?) would need to confirm that the script I derived unraid_notify from is GPL v2. 

The "bashmail" script used in unraid_notify is under GPL v2 -- unfortunately unraid_notify is in question.

On a side note;  A count of the number of times a file has been downloaded would be nice to see.

Ive just added it. Was a relatively painless process. A stats counter will be very useful I will see what i can cobble together.

You've got my OK for GPL v2...  Probably need to add the proper GPL notice and affiliated license file wherever it is stored.

Joe L.

Ive added the GPL V2 license as license.txt. I think that should be enough to make it clear for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

How do we as users add something?

From the site:

In the interim to have something added simply PM the user NAS on the official forum.

From my last post

If you want something related to unraid hosted please contact me in this thread or via PM.

I cant risk giving out access to other that are not me this early in the game. if it takes off something can be arranged.

aka if someone does something nasty to the hosting server and its in my name i get the blame and cost :)

I'm wondering...

Maybe it would be easier if authors used google code for the projects.

Then if we created a portal for links to the projects.

This way a liink manager, news page application could be authored on the portal

This would allow "registered" authors to submit links and updates, yet having the code hosted on google code?

I'm not dismissing the idea or efforts. (Great idea and thank you for the effort).

Just trying to provide a way to allow the authors to update without compromising security or using your time up.

I'm easy whatever works.

We can start with this and see if people submit stuff. If only one or 2 people submit stuff with the almost zero effort approach we have this now i don't see google code working. I hope i am wrong YOURS is a better approach.