Best way to migrate data between unraid boxes

hi guys,

My housemate is moving out and taking his unRAID box. I've built my new box and have it running about 80% ok so need to migrate 7-8TB of data across. When I do this from another PC on the home LAN through SMB the transfer rate is terrible - approx 4MB/s. If I copy from his NAS to my PC it is 80MB/s. If I then write that data to my unRAID box from the PC I get 70MB/s (I use cache drive)

So the question is - how do I copy from unraid > unraid without this middle hop which seems to be destroying the transfer. I assume the transfer must traverse the windows host and this is causing the issue. 

unRAID(NAS) > Windows PC = 70MB/s

unRAID(NAS) > unRAID(Tower) = 4MB/s

Windows PC > unRAID(Tower) = 70MB/s

All are connected to a GbE switch.

I'm guessing I can just telnet into his box and issue a copy command - just not clear what that command is??

Thanks!!

export his shares to NFS, mount the nfs shares, then use midnight commander (mc)  to copy across.

i.e. from the command line on your unraid box, something like this.  This is based on his user share being called 'tv' and your destination user share being called 'tv':

mkdir -p /mnt/yourfriendsnas/tv  ("yourfriendsnas" can be whatever, it's just to make things easy when browsing via mc, and to keep it separate from your user/disk shares)

mount -t nfs yourfriendsnasIPaddress:/mnt/user/tv  /mnt/yourfriendsnas/tv

mc

Now from midnight commander, put the contents of his share in the left pane (from above example, it would be /mnt/yourfriendsnas/tv), your empty share destination folder in the right pane (destination - maybe /mnt/user/tv?), highlight everything you want to copy by pressing insert and then hit F5 to copy.

Should be much faster.. follow the same as above for the other folders you want to copy.

You could also use rsync instead of MC, but MC is probably easiest if you are new at this sort of thing. 

I always rsync, you should be able to get 20 to 30MB/sec -- it would still take about 4 days to do 8TB.

Here's what I do (change IP addresses and folder names as appropriate):

screen
mkdir /mnt/tower
mount -o ro 192.168.0.7:/mnt/user/Movies /mnt/tower
rsync -ai --modify-window=1 --recursive --stats --progress "/mnt/tower/name_of_folder" /mnt/disk13/Movies/