One disk does not spindown??

grandan

Here what I recommend you do, as I could never figure out why the disk.cfg gets set the way its set (personaly feel its a big in the code).

On the Main web page click on your disk #13 don't change any thing (it should be already set to "Use default" for "SPin down Delay" from what I can see in your disk.cfg file) just click "Apply".

Then go to "Settings" page and select "Disk Settings" again, dont change anything and just click "Apply". Wait 30 mins your disk #13 should spin down. Let us know.

Thanks for the suggestion madburg!...but it didn't work. I also tried setting the spindown on disk 13 to 30min instead of default and it still doesn't spin down.  If I hit the spin down all disks button on webgui, disk 13 does spin down but spins up shortly thereafter for some reason.  So, I need another suggestion.

Sorry, I assumed you had already tested spinning down all drives via web GUI, and thought it did not spin down. Since u meantioned it does spin down an shortly after spins up. Something has to be accessing that drive. You know your setup best (what type of data is there like video/audio/data), so look for any plugins, clients, etc. that would be accessing that drive. Something has to be accessing it, there by waking it right back up. I am sure you could think of a few ways to figure out what's accessing that drive (shutdown all clients at home, spin down all drives again. Disable any and all plugins if youre running any. Things of that nature.) there is a Linux command that can be used to see what files are being accessed via command line but it escapes me at the moment (I'm not a Linux guy).

I'm sure someone will chime in about that one for you.

So now you know there is something scanning those picture files, so you should know which device is doing it, but just incase you can now run "lsof -i -n -P" which will show you which (IP(s)) are connected to narrow it down if need be.

Since u have no plugin's it should rule out that the unRaid server is accessing them, so its one of your clients (Xbox, etc...)

Or someone coming in from the Internet :) (hopefully not) but that command will let you know.

So either you have as an example some windows photo viewer in a slide show mode on your PC (or say an app or gadget running slide show)

or

the host below .182 is touching those files.

smbd      1315 nobody    8u  IPv4   5163      0t0  TCP 192.168.0.194:445->192.168.0.182:56315 (ESTABLISHED)

Turn off/shutdown .182, spin down all drives and see if disk #13 stays spun down, if not, turn off/shutdown .178 your office PC, and do the same via a cell phone (browse to your unRAID main page and spin down and see if disk # 13 stays spun down).

Thanks again madburg.  I shut down .182, my win7pro htpc; spundown all and disk 13 stayed spun down.  Restarted .182 and in no time disk 13 was spun up.  I took screen snip of running processes on .182 before I shut it down and have attached.  I have also attached a new lsof_mnt after restart.  Do either of these provide clues on what might be probing disk 13?

The only thing that has changed recently is that I replaced a bunch of old hard drives with larger new ones and so my photos, etc ended up on a different disk#.  I think I went into Windows Media Center on .182 to reset folder monitoring and point it at disk 13...that is the only thing that has happened recently that I can recall??

htpc_running_processes.PNG.f30a026fc8a422d0806e7df4eb6693f4.PNG

lsof_mnt_0855.2.23.2013.txt

Something you did is a bit off. Your attached lsof no longer shows "nobody" touching disk 13.

Wait 30 mins and see if disk 13 spins down or not, now that you rebooted that W7 htpc and hopefully outside of logging into the htpc you did not launch anything.

If it once again spins back up, attach a new lsof txt for review. BTW that is not ALL the running processes on that htpc, those are the processes of the logged in account, you would want to dump all running processes.

I think you can safely say your problem is not an unRaid bug.

(p.s. to "Apple", your auto type correction SUCKS!!!)

Separate question, you meantion upgrade to larger drives and photos moved to another drive. Can you explain a bit more. Are you saying you swapped out a unRaid drive had it rebuilt and received different data than what was originally on the data drive???

Also what does WMC folder monitoring do (what type of functionality and what are u using it for)? Sorry i have never used WMC.

Yes madburg, you are correct about processes, I forgot to click the all users button; I have a screen snip of all the processes that i took after reboot of offending htpc if you think it will help.

As far as disk changes.  I had gotten to point where I only had one empty drive slot, so I upgraded parity to 3TB, did some file transfers to spare up a couple of slots for two 3TB data drives, transferred data off of 11 old 750GB drives, kept 2 1TB drives and one 2TB drive.  So, before I had 1 parity, 13 data drives, one empty slot; after I have 1 parity, 5 data drives, 9 empty slots.  The photo files being accessed were on old disk10 and are now on new disk 13.  Hope that explains.

Archived