What kind of memory to add to my LimeTech builds?

I would like to increase the memory in my LimeTech unRAID builds to the max (64bit unRAID is possibly coming). I would be happy if someone could point me to the correct DIMMs I need to buy.

1.) The old MD1500/LL contains an ASUS P5-BVM-DO mainboard

http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5BVM_DO/

2.) The current MD1510/LL contains a SuperMicro C2SEA mainboard

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core2Duo/G45/C2SEA.cfm

Both models seem to support up to 8GB RAM. Can anybody point me to Amazon links to RAM I need to buy.

Thanks

Harald

• 3 months later...

What's DDR2, DDR3? I only know DDR1 (I'm from Germany) <SCNR>

I have absolutely no knowledge about hardware: 0,0%. So a link to a buyable product is all I needed - and got. But I din't know that there are two different releases of the same motherboard (2 slots vs. 4 slots). Now I do have two RAM sets in my shelf without need. As I said, 0,0% ;-)

I have absolutely no knowledge about hardware: 0,0%. So a link to a buyable product is all I needed - and got. But I din't know that there are two different releases of the same motherboard (2 slots vs. 4 slots). Now I do have two RAM sets in my shelf without need. As I said, 0,0% ;-)

I'm trying not to be too much of a smart-alec here, but if you had opened the side of the case and looked, you would have seen the memory slots, and presumably could have seen that there were 2 instead of 4, and possibly asked a question about it before you ordered. It's really coming across now as lazy and unwilling to learn instead of asking questions to gain knowledge. Hand holding and spoon feeding only goes so far, at some point you've got to take responsibility. You posted a link to the SEA board instead of the board you actually have, the SEE http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core/G45/C2SEE.cfm

You were given advice based on the info you provided.

Perhaps in the future it would be better to take the machine to a qualified PC technician rather than getting frustrated trying to do things yourself and wasting time and money.

Please take this in the spirit it was intended, which is to help you to get your system working the way you want it with the least amount of stress.

Took me a second to figure out your joke. I think you mean what we called the German Democratic Republic (GDR), or East Germany, which would be Deutsche Democratic Republic (whatever the exact German translation is) or DDR. If so, good one.  ;)

Which board only has 2 slots?    I can't find a version of either one that only has 2 RAM slots.

The C2SEE only had 2 slots. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182162

To the OP, if you can return the RAM you could try ordering 4GB sticks of the same RAM. Someone on here has had success using 4GB sticks on the C2SEA even though it doesn't officially support it so it may work for the C2SEE too.

Which board only has 2 slots?    I can't find a version of either one that only has 2 RAM slots.

The C2SEE only has two memory slots I have two of them.  It looks like it COULD support more as there are solder connections for an additional two but they were not present on the two I bought.  I got them on the newegg deal of $19 a peace before they were discontinued.  This is the board with accurate pictures on newegg.

Edit see mrow beat me to it.  Type too slow.

Took me a second to figure out your joke. I think you mean what we called the German Democratic Republic (GDR), or East Germany, which would be Deutsche Democratic Republic (whatever the exact German translation is) or DDR. If so, good one.  ;)

a broadcasting reference, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_DDR_1  8)

Haha, good find. That is probably what he meant.

Archived