//tower used to work...

If that does not work I would connect a monitor to the unraid and see that it really starts up..

I have had the same problem when the unraid starts the scheduled parity check.

I just "Have that issue". My operating system (so it seems) doesn't seem to respect local hostnames, which is saddening. Oh well, I never use hostnames on windows anyway, fixed IPs are so much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

i can access the tower with the ip address but i can't map the drives with windows explorer.

so how do you access the drives with fixed IP?

I've attached the system log file....maybe you can help.

Read this for an explanation of what has to happen with Windows/Samba networking.

http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/ntwsguide/ntwsnfinding.html

It also helps if you set your server's 'Local Master' setting to 'Yes'.  You will find this setting under 'Settings/SMB'.    It also helps if you shutdown EVERYTHING (including media server boxes-- These are all running Linux SMB and many of them can end up being the Master Browser) except for your server after making the change.  Then power everything back up.  Don't be in a hurry as it can take a long time to get everything to settle down.  (Read the times intervals for the various client/Master Browser communication packets. )

Archived