Bluray .iso's

donburkard

Why do you think that anyone here would be able to tell you anything different than the well documented posts on Doom9?

You want to search the Internet... go to google.com.

You want to transcode DVD/HD/BD videos... go to Doom9.org... there is no better source of information on this topic.  If you have some personal beef with Doom9, then try Videohelp.com.  http://www.videohelp.com/guides/how-to-backup-and-convert-blu-ray-to-mp4-hd-or-mkv-hd-id1094#1094

Ripping and transcoding VC1 is not a simple, point-and-click process.  If you are looking for that, you will not find it.  There are a number of configuration options that are content-dependent, and you need to know what they do and how to change them.  That is why they is no DVD-Shrink or AGK for HD/BR

I usually use Ripbot264, but do still use other tools when needed.

I have no beef with doom9 other than the fact that the answers there are not always straight forward.  It literally took me 2 years to find out that a super fast an easy way to rip dvds with the whole structure and everything was .iso's using dvdshrink. During that same 2 years i was looking for an easy storage setup for these dvds once i figured out how to rip them properly.  Then i finally found unraid, on another post!  I had asked a million questions that any one of the fine people on this forum would have been like, Oh dude, you need unraid. Its safe, its expandable, and its allot cheaper than those stupid 2 tb nas boxes.  Bottom line, Its not easy to get a plain yes or no out of that forum. You guys are much better.

and im gonna check in to ripbot.  Thank you.

The problem is there's no real 3rd party playback software for ISOs other than commercial stuff and thus no software supporting ripping as ISO other than the AnyDVD HD stuff that I'm aware of. I'll look at Ripbot but the issue of playback will remain. Retaining the menus and extras on a BD pretty much seems to mean ripping it all as an ISO - yuck!

Ripbot looks like a conversion utility to compress the video, trashing menus etc. but allowing you to play it with MANY more programs. This is pretty much what I do only differently. I use AnyDVD HD, eac3to (Doom9, surprised?), then build a filter graph and AVS script (seconds of work), and compress it using meGUI. I use a VERY high bitrate and lots of bells\whistles\switches such that even though I reduce file size by up to half I still have a pretty damned flawless video to watch. No extras, no subs, no multiple sound tracks (MKV supports this though), just the main movie with 5.1 surround sound. Yeah, there's a GUI for eac3to but I don't use it - the commandline is simple. Something that would automate the process might be nice but meh, I know what I'm doing and it's not hard to do.

In the end I'd love a DVDShrink style application to do this with and a resulting file that retained menus and extras compressed properly but until there's something out there that can PLAY that file that isn't commercial and expecting a mounted ISO I don't see it happening. <shrug>

For now - full ISO or a MKV\MP4\XVID seem to be your choices.

Here's a thread which discusses some (relatively) simple steps to reduce the size of ripped blu-ray movies while maintaining the original quality.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1030971

Okay, it can be chopped down. You still end up with ugliness trying to play the format I'm afraid. I guess you can stick to one of the point releases that allowed for mounting of ISO and just never update it but for playback this really seems like an ugly solution. I am waiting for the day that someone reverses the danged players and releases something like VLC for BD but I fear this isn't going to occur very quickly - especially since the DRM is so strong and there's no open source code attacking the current stuff. Until something like that comes along I'm sticking to ripping and compressing the main movie. <sigh>

actually there is a thread over at avs which proclaims BD+ cracked, and people are actively working on such apps....

doom9 is the place to look for this. Last I checked SlySoft was the only ones who had broken this. BD+ keeps changing too as keys are updated, I get updates to AnyDVD HD frequently and almost always when a new release is ripped. Doom9 is where the first break for HD-DVD and BD were discussed and coded, I will look but I would be surprised if too much progress has been made on BD+. If you've got any links for AVS discussions I'd be interested in reading them. I'd be particularly interested in software to PLAY compressed images or even full size images that's not commercial.

Edit: This thread looks most promising, just now starting to read it so we'll see.

What appears to have occured is that they have managed to emulate the VM that BD+ uses for it's protection - pretty impressive. They are hoping to get that code built into a player or package fo dumping the files. However to use that package it appears that multiple steps are required to include using a BD drive with hacked firmware in order to retrieve some of the keys. This is doable obviously but this is far from simple to use at this time and I am not sure if in the long run a hacked drive will be viable especially if the consortium begins attacking those drives as they are identified.

Anyway, they are further along than I was aware for sure and it's no surprise to me that Doom9 is where it was occurring  ;D Keep an eye on that thread and on that forum, we might yet see something viable come of it but it won't be super quick IMO and new disks may break it as they sometimes do Slysoft's software.

• 1 month later...

Im sticking with anydvdhd.  It works real well so why go and change things up if there is no reason to.  Also if you dont have anydvdhd yet, BUY IT NOW, before the new year.  They are not going to offer free lifetime updates on purchases after the new year.  buy it! Its worth it!

thanks for the input by the way.

• 3 weeks later...

Wait why are people not using TONMT to get one video stream and one audio stream. You can save the resulting file as Ts, m2ts or mkv. This is what I do and it works great. I also figured out how to retain subtitles. Had a hell of a time with Apocalypto.

The file is usually 20GB or so and looks just like the original disc without any compression. Still working on how to keep Dolby True HD.

Wait why are people not using TONMT to get one video stream and one audio stream. You can save the resulting file as Ts, m2ts or mkv. This is what I do and it works great. I also figured out how to retain subtitles. Had a hell of a time with Apocalypto.

The file is usually 20GB or so and looks just like the original disc without any compression. Still working on how to keep Dolby True HD.

AnyDVD HD is required software to break the copy protection. If you want an ISO, there really isn't anything simpler than ripping to iso from anydvd. ToNMT is a nice program, but it's basically a front end for eac3to and tsmuxer. It downsamples HD audio to either DTS or AC3. It also only lets you keep one audio/video track, and doesn't allow you to keep subtitle tracks (how are you doing this?).

ToNMT basically just simplifies the ripping process for blu-ray, and forces things that you may not want (losing HD audio). I personally just do everything "manually" with TSMuxer/TSRemux and TS Splitter. I do actually use tonmt to identify the correct mpls on seamless branching files as it seems quicker to use that BDEdit.

You have to remember though that not everybody is streaming to an NMT like the Popcorn Hour. Some people are running an HTPC connected to their TV/Projector, mounting the BD iso and playing it back with PowerDVD. For those people, there is no need to strip the main movie from the BD. They just need a copy of the disc on their HDD/server.

I'm using BD-Info (to get correct playlist file) along side tsMuxer to rip movie/hd audio/subtitle only, it really saves a lot on the space...sometimes even cuts the movie in half!

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=126139&postcount=13

if you don't need it in ISO format, you can stop at step 12 and keep it in blu-ray folder structure. I keep it in folder stucture and use powerdvd 7.3 and it has played every one of my movies thus far.  You can rip movie/hd audio/subtitle directly from the disk as well (as long as you have anydvd hd running in the background)...so there's no need to first rip to hard drive and then strip the contents.

• 1 year later...

I haven't played around with BD too much since I'm rockin a Mac, although a lot of guys on the Plex forum suggest MakeMKV.  I don't know how it compares to any of the other programs (I've heard a lot of good things about AnyDVD HD) but I figured I'd throw it out there just as another suggestion.  ;D