Dedicated app drive permission/setup problem

Evening everyone,

I've been searching and studying everyone questions/answer on here to help me add an extra drive to use for apps outside of the array (using basic so no cache drive). I did try SNAP but it seems to be dead/buggy for the latest unRAID.

I've managed to preclear, format, and mount it (by adding a few lines to my /config/go file) and by then adding to the /config/smb-extra.conf. It shows as a shared drive in windows but I cannot write to it (permission fail), I can happily read/write to the array using my other computers (running Windows 7).

added to /config/go

mkdir /mnt/baked

mount -t reiserfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/baked

smbcontrol smbd reload-config

echo "apps drive mounted and shared" | logger

added to /config/smb-extra

[baked]

path = /mnt/baked

browseable = yes

public = yes

writeable = yes

(have also tried read only = no)

Any help would be much appreciated :)

I am interested in using a drive for apps (well to store things the apps are using). I have Plus 5.0rc12a, and am using a cache drive.

I want to use an external, because I am out of ports internally, but I am willing to pony up for another card if need be. But I need a guide on how to use a drive outside of the array that's not the cache drive.

This is a little different than the main post, but hopefully some of what each of us needs will help the other out.

I am interested in using a drive for apps (well to store things the apps are using). I have Plus 5.0rc12a, and am using a cache drive.

I want to use an external, because I am out of ports internally, but I am willing to pony up for another card if need be. But I need a guide on how to use a drive outside of the array that's not the cache drive.

This is a little different than the main post, but hopefully some of what each of us needs will help the other out.

Why don't you want to use your cache drive for apps like everyone else does?

Why don't you want to use your cache drive for apps like everyone else does?

I have a cache drive (120GB SSD), which I am using, but I want to move my apps "working files"  ;) onto a dedicated drive (a 1TB drive) outside the array. I want to keep the cache drive (fast) open for things and want to keep these files (and the constant i/o) out of the array.

Honestly, I don't care if the drive is external or internal. I just don't know how to mount non-array/non-cache drives for system use. I always thought it must be easy, but I can't seem to find any instructions.

No worries :) I haven't installed ntfs-3g, I've formatted the drive outside the array using the reiserfs format (could that be a mistake?)

The array has been no problem to setup and read and write to, it is a disk I have physically added after setting up the array that I wanted to use as an apps/data drive for plugins that is being a pain to setup.

Well, the easy answer is to get Plus ;-) since the use you are talking about is EXACTLY what a cache drive is good for.

The drive is internal right? (Re-read your post—pretty sure that it is)

If so, then setting up Plus is really the best way to do this. And Tom's kids need to eat :-)

I might well end up buying Plus in the future, as I have another bay in my nas to fill when needed to expand my array. I've previously run freenas and decided to give unraid a go instead, but i'd rather not part with any cash until i've seen it all running properly  :P

Keep in mind that the only thing you are purchasing is the base functionality of unraid, which doesn't include the plugins and addons. When you say you want to see it all running properly, the only part to really evaluate is the file sharing and parity protection. All the plugins are 3rd party addons with no paid support options from lime. Most (if not all) of the plugin authors assume a paid license of unraid is in place, so getting support for the evaluation version of unraid from the various plugin authors without a cache drive assigned is going to be spotty at best.

I understand what you say you want, and apparently Tom at limetech listened, because if you will be a little patient, apparently the next release (RC, beta or otherwise) of the base unraid software will allow the assignment of a cache drive, so you will be able to test out everything before you purchase.