MiniDLNA plugin for unRAID v5.0

Just wanted to announce the initial release of my MiniDLNA plugin for unRAID v5.0.

I want to give massive thanks to Rich Manton (overbyrn) for allowing the use of his DenyHosts plugin code as the basis for this plugin.

Thanks Rich!!

Please consider this as a 1.0beta release, and feel free to log any bugs or comments in this thread.

Previous plugin for unMENU is still available here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12435.0

However, I won't be updating it any further.

If you want to run v1.1 of minidlna using my unMENU plugin, the you can download the binaries from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/files/minidlna/1.1.0/minidlna_1.1.0_static.tar.gz/download

You then need to copy the 'minidlnad' file into /usr/sbin, renaming it to minidlna.

KNOWN ISSUES

- Rescan of media library not possible from GUI at the moment. Please run /etc/rc.d/rc.minidlna rescan instead.

- When running minidlna as nobody (the default), you must ensure that the directories you choose for log file and media library are writeable by nobody.

e.g. chown nobody:users <DB_DIR> etc.

- There is some sanity checking in the configuration interface, but it doesn't check to see that either user to run as, or media directory to scan, exist.

If you leave an essential value blank, it will populate it with the default on 'Apply'.

The plugin has been tested on unRAID v5.0-rc11 and higher. Earlier versions may work, but haven't been tested.

You can download the plugin from here: https://github.com/fatfurrycat/unRAID/raw/master/minidlna.plg'>https://github.com/fatfurrycat/unRAID/raw/master/minidlna.plg

My main GitHub page is here: https://github.com/fatfurrycat/unRAID

To install, simply copy the plugin into your /boot/config/plugins directory and reboot.

Alternatively, copy it into the directory, and then run installplg minidlna.plg.

MiniDLNA Changelog (since my 1.0.24 release)

1.1.0 - Released 04-April-2013

- Add support for other operating systems.

- Switch to autoconf from our handcrafted genconfig.sh.

- Add configuration option for UUID.

- Add configuration option to specify the user to run as.

- Add support for limiting a media dir to multiple media types.

- Force a rescan if we detect a new or missing media_dir entry.

- Fix crash caused by certain TiVo clients.

- Fix crash bug on video files with some ffmpeg library versions.

- Add support for TiVo MPEG-TS files.

- Add some logging and forking tweaks to work better with systemd.

- Validate or escape user input to prevent SQL injection.

- Add forced sorting support for Panasonic devices.

1.0.26 - Released 04-April-2013

- Fix compiling with ffmpeg 1.0.

- Fix a couple potential scanner crash bugs.

- Fix inotify parsing of new video symlinks.

- Validate or escape user input to prevent SQL injection.

1.0.25 - Released 13-July-2012

- Fix a couple crash bugs on malformed WAV files.

- Forcibly tweak the model number for Xbox360 clients, or they might ignore us.

- Enable all network interfaces by default if none were specified.

- Add flag to force downscaled thumbnails rather than using embedded ones.

- Add DirecTV client detection, and fix image resolution issue.

- Add support for the latest ffmpeg/libav library versions.

- Fix a potential crash on requests for a resize of a non-existent image.

- Make DeviceID checking more permissive for Sagem Radio.

Glad you've found it useful. I'm assuming that you've not found any bugs?

Personally, I like the simplicity of MiniDLNA. Admittedly, it doesn't have features like transcoding, but it just works (especially with Samsung TVs).

I'm working on an update at the moment, which will add support for rescanning from the GUI, a live log file viewer (so you can see when rescans etc. have finished) and more intelligence when creating directories for media library and log file (will ensure that permissions etc. are correct for the user that you intend to run minidlna as).

Hi After server reboot I am getting the below error when trying to re install miniDLNA

Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "minidlna.plg" in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13

Hi gemeit,

I'm not seeing this on my system, so I really need some more details.

Could you please answer the following questions:

- Which version of unRAID are you running?

- Where you have installed the .plg file? (e.g. /boot/config/plugins etc.)

- Has this ever worked correctly (e.g. installed and run okay following a reboot)? If so, when? Has anything changed since this time?

- Do you have another unRAID box that you could try running the plugin on?

- What happens when you install the plugin from a root shell with installplg minidlna.plg?

- Attach a complete syslog that contains a failed install.

- Do you have minidlna set to enabled in the GUI when you shutdown?

- Do you see any additional error messages on the console when minidlna is installing following a reboot? If so, what are they?

Once I have the information, I'll see if I can work out what's going on.

Hi Bagpuss thanks for the response I will try to answer you questions.  Before I powered off my server MiniDlna was working great.  I only use it for audio files to my Pioneer amp.

Which version of unRAID are you running?

5.0-rc12a

/boot/config/plugins

- Has this ever worked correctly (e.g. installed and run okay following a reboot)? If so, when? Has anything changed since this time?

I think this is the first time I have rebooted server since install

No

- What happens when you install the plugin from a root shell with installplg minidlna.plg?

get this error Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "minidlna.plg" in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13-

Attach a complete syslog that contains a failed install.

- Do you see any additional error messages on the console when minidlna is installing following a reboot? If so, what are they

Many thanks

Hi Bagpuss thanks for the response I will try to answer you questions.  Before I powered off my server MiniDlna was working great.  I only use it for audio files to my Pioneer amp.

Which version of unRAID are you running?

5.0-rc12a

/boot/config/plugins

I think this is the first time I have rebooted server since install

No

get this error Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "minidlna.plg" in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13-

Attach a complete syslog that contains a failed install.

- Do you see any additional error messages on the console when minidlna is installing following a reboot? If so, what are they

Many thanks

I'm beginning to think that the minidlna.plg file is corrupted in some way.

Did it happen to pass through a Windows box on the way to the unRAID server?

The md5 of the file should be: 8e9d0f07ff5faeb136b7fadc4fb4d55c

Can you check to see if the file you have matches this?

If not, please re-download it, and try again to install it.

Thanks,

Andy.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone else out there see the problem being reported by gemeit above?

Feedback would be much appreciated.

I got that when I ran the installplg command from /boot (linux noob)

It installed after i moved to /boot/config/plugins and ran the installplg command there.

unRaid 5.0-rc16c

• 2 weeks later...

Bug Report

Disclosure: I am new to Linux and MiniDLNA

Friendly Name

Entering a friendly name containing more than one word separated by a space and clicking on 'Apply' results in incorrect population of the minidlna configuration. The first word populates the friendly name and the second word shifts to the next field (ie. Database Directory) which then creates a chain reaction and pushes the contents into the next field and so on. Seems to affect only the minidlna.cfg file (which doesn't appear to like the use of space) but not the minidlna.conf file. Can this be addressed in the next release?

Music Database

Editing the id3 tag results in the music file being duplicated in the database. MiniDLNA appears to associate a change in the id3 tag as introducing a new file and hence a new record created in the database. Is this a known issue with MiniDLNA and is it fixable ?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the bug reports. My comments are below:

Friendly Name

Entering a friendly name containing more than one word separated by a space and clicking on 'Apply' results in incorrect population of the minidlna configuration. The first word populates the friendly name and the second word shifts to the next field (ie. Database Directory) which then creates a chain reaction and pushes the contents into the next field and so on. Seems to affect only the minidlna.cfg file (which doesn't appear to like the use of space) but not the minidlna.conf file. Can this be addressed in the next release?

You are absolutely right. Definitely a bug. I just never considered that anyone would use a name with spaces. In fact, I didn't even know it was supported until I just tried it out.

I've not got much time to work on the plugin at the moment, but this will definitely be fixed in the next version.

Music Database

Editing the id3 tag results in the music file being duplicated in the database. MiniDLNA appears to associate a change in the id3 tag as introducing a new file and hence a new record created in the database. Is this a known issue with MiniDLNA and is it fixable ?

This appears to be a miniDLNA bug, so I don't have any control of this issue. I've only ever used miniDLNA to serve video files, so never come across this issue. The best workaround I can offer is to run a rescan operation after editing the tags. This should then create a database free of duplicates.

You could also try reporting the bug to the miniDLNA developer. This could be a known issue, might it never hurts to check.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi After server reboot I am getting the below error when trying to re install miniDLNA

Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "minidlna.plg" in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13

I am getting the same message.  I have downloaded it twice and both through the unRAID terminal.  I cannot get any of the plugins to start using installplg command while in the appropriate directory.  What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

• 5 months later...