Newegg has a WD External 3TB for $99!!!!!!!!!

tucansam

WDBACW0030HBK-NESN

Not sure what the internal model disk is.... Anyone know?  Good for unraid or not?

It's going to have a WD Green in it. Possibly a Hitachi 5K3000. Either way it will be fine for unraid.

The downside is once you remove the drive from the external enclosure you completely void the warranty. If anything happens to the drive afterwards, then you're up the creek and out your initial investment. Given that all drives will fail at some point, you will have to weight the $10 savings against 2 or 3 years of warranty.

correct me if i am wrong but many times the actual drive will still be under warranty will it not? i've never been in that situation myself but i seem to recall hearing of people that have.

Correct.  Some people have reported they cracked it open and were able to return the drive itself.  But as a general rule you should not expect it.  If you can get the model and serial number from the internal drive before you crack open the case you can check with the manufacturer if it is possible.  That way you could return the external if it isn't possible.

Archived