New here with basic question

bill_in_socal

I have been lurking here and testing the basic version of UnRaid for a few weeks now.  I have experimented with purposely failing drives and have been amazed at the ability to recover data.  Although not Linux proficient, I have been able to add lines to the "go" script and do a few mods by just reading the forum posts.  Great info here!

Anyway, UnRaid seems to be touted as specialty NAS for streaming media content.  My application is simply the storage of gobs of non-streaming data.  Is there any particular reason that UnRaid is not suited for more traditional data storage?

I would like to know as much as possible before I order a registration key.

Thanks very much for any information.

My application is simply the storage of gobs of non-streaming data.  Is there any particular reason that UnRaid is not suited for more traditional data storage?

unRAID may not suite a user if they need very high speed access to large files.

read speed is limited to the speed of a single spindle (Which is pretty high).

write speed is limited to the speed of the data drive, + parity drive, + overhead of parity procedure. (generally 10-16Mb/s).

This is the price of a JBOD arrangement with a shared parity drive.

Currently unRAID does not support NFS on the user shares, however it can support NFS on a disk share with a little tweaking.

I believe NFS on  the user shares is right around the corner.

Very close to my application.  I have several clients who want their PC's imaged prior to recycling.  Basically just data storage with easy expansion.  I just did a RAID expansion on one of my 3Ware controllers and while it went well, it was not nearly as easy or as stress free as just plugging a new drive into my UnRaid setup.