New Server available

limetech

If your existing server is pretty old, it may be built using IDE (PATA) disks.  The new server uses SATA disks.  If so, moving the disks will be a problem because there are not enough of the right kinds of ports.  There are certainly add-on options, but if you are going with a new server and SATA disks I'd probably leave the IDE's behind.

If your existing server is pretty old, it may be built using IDE (PATA) disks.  The new server uses SATA disks.  If so, moving the disks will be a problem because there are not enough of the right kinds of ports.  There are certainly add-on options, but if you are going with a new server and SATA disks I'd probably leave the IDE's behind.

I didn't even think of that!

hmmm......how about the transfer of data?  If I cannot get the other array up and running am I SOL?

hmmm......how about the transfer of data?  If I cannot get the other array up and running am I SOL?

If you need to transfer, chances are you can mount the drive in one or two slots on a new motherboard if they have matching controllers. I.E. A non raid P-ATA controller.

Another choice is an external USB case.

how would I do that with one parity and 11 data drives?  ???

You would need to set up the new server with the SATA drives and then move data from the IDE drive to the new SATA, one at a time.  This will prbably be a long process but it should be simple once you get started.  When you do the transfer make sure to NOT assign the parity drive.  This way you can get the best speed on the transfers.  Once all the transferring is done you can assign the parity drive and let it calculate parity.

how would I do that with one parity and 11 data drives?  ???

You would need to set up the new server with the SATA drives and then move data from the IDE drive to the new SATA, one at a time.  This will prbably be a long process but it should be simple once you get started.  When you do the transfer make sure to NOT assign the parity drive.  This way you can get the best speed on the transfers.  Once all the transferring is done you can assign the parity drive and let it calculate parity.

So get the NEW SATA server up and running.

Then attach each ide drive one by one and copy form the ide to an individual sata and go back and forth till all are all copied? Then the drive that I didn't copy to (in the new sata array) I make the parity?

Then attach each ide drive one by one and copy form the ide to an individual sata and go back and forth till all are all copied? Then the drive that I didn't copy to (in the new sata array) I make the parity?

Correct you are.  By not assigning the parity drive right off the bat you will allow yourself to copy the data to the array much faster.

Correct you are.  By not assigning the parity drive right off the bat you will allow yourself to copy the data to the array much faster.

So one the new array is up and running, I can then login via windows and copy from drive to drive that way?  Or is there a much simpler and easier linux method?

So one the new array is up and running, I can then login via windows and copy from drive to drive that way?  Or is there a much simpler and easier linux method?

That would be the simplest method but might not be the fastest.  I would probably do it that way as I am not to concerned about speed.

There are multiple options for copying the files. Installing the drives one at a time into the new server, installing them one at a time into a Windows box, bringing up the old server and copying them over the net (your old array does not have to be valid to do ths), putting each disk in an external USB enclosure, and probably others. How its done is likely less important than the fact you can do it for right now. Get your new server and ask for advice and lots of people will offer suggestions.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived