Virtualizing unRAID with Xen on Arch Linux, XBMC & Windows with VGA Passthrough

Yeh, there are a few other boards that come close but none of them have vPro or IPMI  >:(

This was "a nice to have" feature by some peoples standards. But having had it for a few days on the Supermicro board it's been upgraded to a "must have" for any new boards for me.

Apologies if you've already mentioned the specifics, I have looked back through the last few pages of this thread with no joy - which Supermicro motherboard are you having problems with? Also what is the issue with audio?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a template email, copy and paste and send to:  [email protected] !!!!!!!!!!  I've sent mine  ;)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I've been looking into purchasing a Supermicro X10SAT motherboard.  I note from the specifications on your website that the motherboard includes VT-d support, however I also understand there is a confirmed issue caused by the motherboard which results in HDMI audio not working when pass through is enabled. I understand that it stops HDMI audio working as soon as passthrough is enabled.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet ipv6.disable=1 intel_iommu=on vfio_iommu_type" the following setting is applied in the grub config to enable passthrough, which should enable you to replicate the bug.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1372691#p1372691 - you can find further information concerning this problem in this post. 

The customer in this thread has already contacted you regarding this but you have refused to investigate.  This was your response - 'This is a desktop boards, and it is not designed for Xen or other virtualization applications, only for desktop OS. Therefore compatibility is unknown.'

I would like to add that your failure to commit to investigating and resolving this bug could potentially stop myself, and many others, from purchasing this motherboard.  Since VT-d it is listed as part of the specification, the product should support it whether it be a desktop or server board - I point again to the fact that it is listed in the specifications for this product!!!

I sincerely hope you will reconsider your position on investigating and resolving this clear and obvious bug.

Kind Regards

I just had an escalation form through asking for a ton of specific info for r&d. Seems like you may have helped!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's great news  ;D

I wonder how many copies of that email they got in the end. On another note, do keep us posted on your progress! ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If this works out, I think it would be good form for all those who mailed to re-contact them acknowledging the excellent customer service and indicating that they will be high on the list of consideration when it comes time to buy/upgrade.

That kind of response & responsiveness can only be good for the customer and should be encouraged.

Peter

If this works out, I think it would be good form for all those who mailed to re-contact them acknowledging the excellent customer service and indicating that they will be high on the list of consideration when it comes time to buy/upgrade.

That kind of response & responsiveness can only be good for the customer and should be encouraged.

Peter

Completely agree with you on that! :)

They are taking me seriously but my RMA window expires Monday and I'm still getting questions like this coming back *sigh*.

Can you please provide link  of which version of Arch Linux you are running, as our engineers could not find the version you are currently using.[\quote]

A quick Google would have told them arch doesnt have "versions"

They are taking me seriously but my RMA window expires Monday and I'm still getting questions like this coming back *sigh*.

Can you please provide link  of which version of Arch Linux you are running, as our engineers could not find the version you are currently using.[\quote]

A quick Google would have told them arch doesnt have "versions"

I would suggest asking them for an assurance that in the event of them failing to resolve the problem, they will honour an extended RMA window, or swap your board for another.... After all, you're doing them a favour too, in helping them to replicate the problem.

Got to be worth asking :)

Has anyone had any luck with openelec or xbmcubuntu with passthrough vga? 

i have openelec booting tftp and it boots but doesn't seem to switch over to the passthrough card.

I have the tftp booting working on a standalone machine and its working flawlessly

xbmcubuntu live works great  plays video verified gpu usage through the 'O' status. 

try to install xbmcubuntu and it bombs during the install saying the disk is bad (its not)

im trying to avoid windows because of licensing