Virtualizing unRAID with Xen on Arch Linux, XBMC & Windows with VGA Passthrough

It couldn't be that easy, could it?  :(

bigmama /home/VMs/unRAID # xl create unRAID.cfg
Parsing config from unRAID.cfg
libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge online [1925] exited with error status 1
libxl: error: libxl_device.c:1021:device_hotplug_child_death_cb: script: Could not find bridge device xenbr0
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1115:domcreate_attach_vtpms: unable to add nic devices
libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge offline [1955] exited with error status 1
libxl: error: libxl_device.c:1021:device_hotplug_child_death_cb: script: Could not find bridge device xenbr0

You havn't set up a network bridge... To be fair, i havn't included that in my write up. Look here - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xen - for the section 'create a network bridge'.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just followed that.  :)

I now have a xenbr0:

bigmama ~ # brctl show

bridge name    bridge id              STP enabled    interfaces

xenbr0          8000.00259064a7d8      no              enp1s0f0

Question, once I started the bridge I was booted out of SSH and I now had to SSH back in with the IP of the bridge (192.168.1.235).  Is that expected?  I can no longer SSH in with the IP and enp1s0f0 (192.168.1.234)

bigmama ~ # ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp1s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master xenbr0 state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:25:90:64:a7:d8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: enp1s0f1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:25:90:64:a7:d9 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: xenbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP mode DEFAULT group default

bigmama ~ # ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: enp1s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master xenbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
    inet6 fe80::225:90ff:fe64:a7d8/64 scope link
3: enp1s0f1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:25:90:64:a7:d9 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: xenbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default
    inet 192.168.1.235/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global xenbr0
    inet6 fe80::225:90ff:fe64:a7d8/64 scope link

I just followed that.  :)

I now have a xenbr0:

bigmama ~ # brctl show

bridge name    bridge id              STP enabled    interfaces

xenbr0          8000.00259064a7d8      no              enp1s0f0

Question, once I started the bridge I was booted out of SSH and I now had to SSH back in with the IP of the bridge (192.168.1.235).  Is that expected?  I can no longer SSH in with the IP and enp1s0f0 (192.168.1.234)

Yup, looks good. Your VM should startup now no probs.

What did you use the MAC addy in your unraid cfg?  That's not the MAC of xenbr0 is it?

vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:a1:b2:cc,bridge=xenbr0' ]

This is the mac address you're assigning the VMs virtual ethernet port and should therefore be a random collection of a1:b4:cd etc but the first few groups are unique to Xen. Google it, you'll find it.

:D :D :D

Going multiuser...
Updating shared library links:  /sbin/ldconfig &
Starting sysklogd daemons:  /usr/sbin/syslogd -m0 /usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x
dhcpcd[709]: version 5.2.7 starting
dhcpcd[709]: forked to background, child pid 710
Starting RPC portmapper:  /sbin/rpc.portmap
Starting RPC NSM (Network Status Monitor):  /sbin/rpc.statd
Starting Internet super-server daemon:  /usr/sbin/inetd
Starting system message bus:  /usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen --ensure ; /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system

Welcome to Linux 3.9.11p-unRAID (hvc0)

Tower login:

:D :D :D

Going multiuser...
Updating shared library links:  /sbin/ldconfig &
Starting sysklogd daemons:  /usr/sbin/syslogd -m0 /usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x
dhcpcd[709]: version 5.2.7 starting
dhcpcd[709]: forked to background, child pid 710
Starting RPC portmapper:  /sbin/rpc.portmap
Starting RPC NSM (Network Status Monitor):  /sbin/rpc.statd
Starting Internet super-server daemon:  /usr/sbin/inetd
Starting system message bus:  /usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen --ensure ; /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system

Welcome to Linux 3.9.11p-unRAID (hvc0)

Tower login:

Don't forget to hug your wife now it works!

Haven't gone the next step yet (plugging in my unraid drives and usb key).  I have some other issues to work out yet with Arch/Xen.

1.  xenbr0 is not establishing a link after a reboot even though I did systemsctl enable xenbridge-dhcp.  I have to manually start it.

wmwp.png

2.  When I created the bridge, it whacked my enps10f0 (does not establish a link).  I still no not know if this is expected but I see a failure in systemctl:

tphb.png

3.  As you can see in the above screenshot, I also have issues with libvirt.  I'll probably work with grumpy on this one unless someone else has any suggestions.

ld6.PNG

grumpy was huge help as normal.  :)  I had to run some errands and take a mental break.

unRAID is up and running.

Still no love with XBMCbuntu in a VM.  I just can't get the output to go to the Radeon card.  It's like it starts to and then just gets lost in space during the transition from VNC to the TV.  ESXi had no issue with this at all with nothing special other that passing through the video card.  I know this has be possible in Xen!

If I can just get this figured out I'll be golden.

grumpy was huge help as normal.  :)  I had to run some errands and take a mental break.

unRAID is up and running.

Still no love with XBMCbuntu in a VM.  I just can't get the output to go to the Radeon card.  It's like it starts to and then just gets lost in space during the transition from VNC to the TV.  ESXi had no issue with this at all with nothing special other that passing through the video card.  I know this has be possible in Xen!

It isn't you or your machine... I can't get XBMCbuntu to work in Xen on Linux either.

I am testing it now in KVM. We might have to switch you to that.

Let me list out all the steps to switch to KVM:

1. Boot into the Linux Kernel from grub.

2. install QEMU.

Phew! You have your work cut out for you.

I received some absolutely sterling advice and help from grumpy at an unreasonable hour, which was absolutely appreciated. Whilst i had issues with amd's woeful driver support in linux regarding HD AUDIO passthrough, I am firmly of the belief that virtualisation is the way to go, luckily I have a small 250 GB slotted into a spare bay on my server that i can pull/push to give me a safe environment to muck about and explore possibilities without affecting my main system in any way.

Latest venture so far, I have followed the XMBC VDPAU installation instructions in ubuntu 13.10 minimal server install to get a kernel with some patches that allows AMD graphics card to passthrough HD AUDIO (AND IT WORKS !!!!!!) , i've got a xen hypervisor up and running. It's movie time for me now (using the main system again) , but tomorrow I plan on playing with getting unraid up and running on the hypervisor instance.

Once again, absolutely massive thanks to grumpy.

I received some absolutely sterling advice and help from grumpy at an unreasonable hour, which was absolutely appreciated. Whilst i had issues with amd's woeful driver support in linux regarding HD AUDIO passthrough, I am firmly of the belief that virtualisation is the way to go, luckily I have a small 250 GB slotted into a spare bay on my server that i can pull/push to give me a safe environment to muck about and explore possibilities without affecting my main system in any way.

Latest venture so far, I have followed the XMBC VDPAU installation instructions in ubuntu 13.10 minimal server install to get a kernel with some patches that allows AMD graphics card to passthrough HD AUDIO (AND IT WORKS !!!!!!) , i've got a xen hypervisor up and running. It's movie time for me now (using the main system again) , but tomorrow I plan on playing with getting unraid up and running on the hypervisor instance.

Glad you were successful. Are you using the Radeon Drivers (which I use) or does AMD have theirs out in beta yet?

Glad you were successful. Are you using the Radeon Drivers (which I use) or does AMD have theirs out in beta yet?

I'm using the walkthrough that fritsch posted over on the XBMC forum in this thread, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854

I'm using the walkthrough that fritsch posted over on the XBMC forum in this thread, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854

How did you get the output to go to the radeon (TV) rather than the virtual display adapter (console).  I followed that thread to the letter and never got out to the TV.  XBMC always reports that "gallium" display adapter in the Settings Info.  Did you have to do anything other than what is outlined in that thread?

John