Footloose

OS at time of building: 5.0-rc16c

CPU: Celeron G1610 2 MB (BX80637G1610) Updated to a i5-3570K June 15. 2016

MOBO: Asrock B75 Pro3-M (firmware 1.80)

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 4 GB 1600mhz (KVR16N11S8K2/8)

Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (ECA3280A-B-F)

Drive Cage: None at the moment. Updated to a Raidsonic IB-544SKK May 18. 2016

PSU: Corsair CX600 V2

SATA Expansion Card: None at the moment. Updated to a LyCOM PE-120 fully mounted and a Adaptec RAID 1430SA with future plans

USB key: Sandisk Cruzer Fit 4GB (pro licence ordered 18. august 2013)

Fans: The 3 fans that were included in the case.

Sata power splitter: Silverstone CP06

Sata data: sata 600 0,5m

USB cable: Deltaco 2-11B (not gonna use since i've changed the USB key

Primary Use: Media (movies, tvseries and Backup)

Likes: The drives haven't been over 32°C + The 8 drives have been easy to mount (thanks to the sideways drivebay) + Cool and quiet

Dislikes: Non at the moment

Add Ons Used: preclear, unMenu,

Future Plans: Add more data drives.

Parity Drive: 3TB WD RED WD30EFRX

Data Drives: *

Cache Drive: None

Total Drive Capacity: 11+1 Drives

1 x 2TB WD20EARX Caviar green.

2 x 2TB WD20EARS Caviar green.

2 x 2TB ST2000DM001 Seagate 7200

1 x 2TB WD20EACS Caviar green.

1 x 2TB WD20EARX Caviar green.

My prerun. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28173.0

The reason for 'Footloose' in the subject.

It looks like you've found a sweet spot!

The passmark for the CPU looks good:

http://www.passmark.com/cpubenchmark/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+G1610+%40+2.60GHz&id=1819

The mobo has a lot of video connection options and enough PCIe slots

I think you'll be fine with the Realtek NIC.

Good Job!! Now the challenge is to come up with a good name for it.  8)

Well when i unpacked the case, one of the feet fell off.  ;)

Found the foot + screw, now the case is on it's four feet again.  :D

I've never build a pc before, so this is new to me. I've talked to my mum's boyfriend he has build lots of them, so he's going to check everything before i power it up.

9516752263_4035337f3e_n.jpg

I'm glad i got a case with a big back compartment.

9519541530_06b092d807_n.jpg

My 'idea' about the sata power splitter, i got 2 of them. I need to find a way of marking the sata data cables, if i at some point need to exchange or dismount a drive.

9519541330_2db773ce69_n.jpg

The biggest FAIL on the case is the hole above, it's too small for the 8pin ATX (CPU) plug to pass through.

9516752015_3789a2749b_n.jpg

So i need to find a way to zip tie that cable, and the others to. But i'll way until everything is checked and the 8 drives are in place.

9516751919_dd8118ea75_n.jpg

The three first drives are mounted and ready to be marked with a drive number.

9516752431_7c6f7816b3_n.jpg

The front of the cage, i have an idea of getting the cooler master 4IN3 case for the 3 top slots.

9519541328_15746199c0_n.jpg

The LED display, there is a light for the power, the HDD activity and if i get the Sandisk Cruzer Fit, there will be a light for USB activity also.

9522450349_a619aa6233_n.jpg

The Sandisk cruzer Fit is mounted with unRAID Server 5.0-rc16c + unmenu + preclear.

But there is a long way to go yet.

- Need to find out if i'm gonna get a WD RED 3TB or a Seagate NAS 4TB Parity drive

- Get the whole thing up and running. (Hope the bios thingy doesn't cause any problems)

- Preclear, pleclear, preclear and preclear.

[EDIT]

18. aug 2013: Firmware/BIOS on mobo added + Pro key licence ordered.

18. aug 2013: Parity drive ordered.

01. sep 2013: Drive cage, wishlist change Cooler master STB-3T4-E3-GP changed to Chieftec SNT-3141SATA

01. sep 2013: List of drives moditied

01. sep 2013: Likes and dislikes have been added

.............I need to find a way of marking the sata data cables, if i at some point need to exchange or dismount a drive.........

I've used a "Sharpie" to mark mine, but there are better ways! I'm pretty sure unRAID V5 is not picky about the order in which the cables are attached as the drive's serial number is how it keeps track of assignments. You should verify that before you go into production. And actually if you get a chance there are probably a few other "what if" tests to make; because once it goes on line FUD sets it. Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (and downtime) stop us.

I've looked for a checklist / what if list. But there doesn't seem to be one........

No, I don't know of one either. It's nice to have a test system where you can try out different things...like what does happen if I move the SATA cables to different drives, or what if I bring up the array with one drive disconnected? What does changing split levels do? How does my system react when I'm PreClearing a drive, running a parity check and I copy a large file to a disk share?

I don't want you to compromise the safety of your existing data!

You're probably anxious to get it going....and as for questions, that's what this forum is for.

If you are using v5 of unraid then the cables don't matter. The drives are assigned based on the serial number. If I ever swap cables I still double check that my drives are correctly assigned just to be on the safe side but so far it hasn't been a problem.

That is great news. I was a bit worried that the whole cable chaos could turn out bad. (when i choose to use the internal bays, and not get external drive bays)

But i truely thing that it's great to know, that the system sort by serial number.

As others have stated, with the R5RC versions, it does not matter where the drives are plugged in.  I have moved mine around in to different drive slots and Unraid worked just fine and recognized the drives.  When I first built my system, I cycled my drives through every slot to verify all of the slots in my cages worked.  By doing that, I actually found a dead slot in one my 5x3 cages that caused an RMA.

As far as marking the cables, I think it is a good ideal.  I took a fine point sharpie and marked both ends of the cable.  I then wrapped one turn of tape around each cable to protect the writing.  You can still read the numbers fine.  The blue sata cables are already numbered.

Here is a picture of the interior of my system showing my cable routing.  I have since loosened the two red cables a little so they are not as tightly bound as shown to eliminate any potential cross-talk, even though I was not experiencing any issues.

As others have stated, with the R5RC versions, it does not matter where the drives are plugged in.  I have moved mine around in to different drive slots and Unraid worked just fine and recognized the drives.  When I first built my system, I cycled my drives through every slot to verify all of the slots in my cages worked.  By doing that, I actually found a dead slot in one my 5x3 cages that caused an RMA.

As far as marking the cables, I think it is a good ideal.  I took a fine point sharpie and marked both ends of the cable.  I then wrapped one turn of tape around each cable to protect the writing.  You can still read the numbers fine.  The blue sata cables are already numbered.

Here is a picture of the interior of my system showing my cable routing.  I have since loosened the two red cables a little so they are not as tightly bound as shown to eliminate any potential cross-talk, even though I was not experiencing any issues.

Again good to hear that a sata cable in an "wrong" drive won't cause problems.

And super idea about using clear tape around the marked cables.

I've looked for a checklist / what if list. But there doesn't seem to be one........

You're probably anxious to get it going....and as for questions, that's what this forum is for.

Anxious is an understatement, i'm like a 6 year old christmas eve.

Got the thumbs up from my mom's boyfriend. Got the Beast powered up last night. I LOVE the BIOS GUI, really easy for a newbie like me. And i 2xLOVE the easy way to update the BIOS. (simply make sure that the box is hooked up to the internet. Hit a button, at watch while the box does it's magic)

At the moment i'm preclearing 3 2TB discs. The temp has been from 29° - 32° so that should be fine.

The unmenu install has been a little troublesome, but i hope it works now. And for some reason i can't get the e-mail thingy to work (i use my gmail)

I just rebuilt my workstation with the same mobo/cpu you're using and I'm very pleased with the results on Ubuntu 13.04. It runs very cool and is very responsive for the way I use my system. I haven't tried updating BIOS yet. I guess I'm fussy about cable routing, it took me probably three hours to get the old mobo out and the new one in. And then after all that messing around, I found part of the I/O shield near the HDMI connector was blocking connection. Oh well, take the time and get it right; we don't get to have this much fun everyday!

• 2 weeks later...

Got everything moved. (from the 3 old NAS boxes)

Now the system holds a 3TB WD Red Parity drive and 7 2TB drives, giving me a total of 14TB diskspace.

Got a hold of the 'trouble in paradise'

Now i just need to find a final place for my box. (At the moment it's on the floor next to my laptop, and the intake fans really suck everything to the front mesh)

So the future projects are.

- Find a home for the box

- Tidy the cabels inside the box

- Buy a SATA controller card with 4 sata outputs

- Buy a 4in3 drive cage

Other than that i'll kick back and enjoy the benefits of unRAID

• 3 months later...

Wow it's been a little over 3 month's since my last post.

Footloose has been working near to perfect the whole time.

The reason i write near to perfect is that i've had issues with some videofiles.

Suddenly in the video stream, the picture fastforwards with no sound for about 20 sec, only to return to normal with everything in sync.

I guess it's some sort of buffer problem. But since everything else works perfect, i haven't looked into it deeper.

This sounds more like a problem with the file itself than with UnRAID;  but just to confirm that ...

(a)  For a file that this happen with, is it consistent?  i.e. does it ALWAYS happen when you play that file?

(b)  If the answer to (a) is Yes;  copy the file to your PC, and then play it from there and confirm that it still has the same behavior.  [if so, clearly it's not an UnRAID issue;  if not, we need to look a bit further]

• 11 months later...

If it works for you, no reason at all though you may want to upgrade to 5.0.6.  I stayed on RC8 till just after 5.05 was available.  I would stay away from the R6 for now until they at least transition to the RC builds.

If you decide to upgrade, power down your server and make a copy of all the files of your USB stick to your computer as a backup.  This way you have a snapshot of your server now. You should do this even if you don't upgrade it.

its a straight forward upgrade. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the release notes.

If you are currently running unRAID Server OS release 5.0.x

-----------------------------------------------------------

- Starting with release 5.0.4, a new script called 'make_bootable_mac' is included in the

zip file.  In addition, a new directory called 'syslinux' has been created to contain all of the

syslinux-specific files.

If all you are doing is upgrading from a previous 5.0.x release, you only need to copy 'bzimage',

'bzroot', and 'readme.txt' from the release zip file to your Flash and then reboot your server - this

will still work.  You can also copy 'memtest' if you want the new version.

Alternately, you may set up your flash the same as in the zip file.  Probably the easiest way to

accomplish this is to back up your 'config' directory and then install this release according to

"Installation on a New Flash Device" below.  Before ejecting your flash, restore the 'config'

directory from your back up.

• 1 year later...

Now it's time for an update.

The system has been running without any problems at all. Been in use every day.

But i really need to get more disc space.

The plan is to.

- Buy a SATA controller card with 4 sata outputs

- Buy a 4in3 drive cage

And load the cage with discs as/when i need them.

The parts have been ordered.

Found an Adaptec 1430SA card on eBay, it's on it's way from Spain

Ended up buying a Raidsonic IB-544SSK Trayless Dual Channel SATA / SAS HDD Backplane (4x)

My shopping went a bit crazy, ordered 4 x Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB discs.

So the updated setup will look like this.

CPU: Celeron G1610 2 MB (BX80637G1610)

Drive Cage: Raidsonic IB-544SKK

SATA Expansion Card: Adaptec RAID 1430SA & LyCOM PE-120

Primary Use: Media (movies, tvseries and XXX)

Total Drive Capacity: 11+1 Drives

2 x 2TB WD20EARX Caviar green

2 x 2TB WD20EARS Caviar green

1 x 2TB WD20EACS Caviar green

2 x 2TB ST2000DM001 Seagate

4 x 3TB DT01ACA300 Toshiba

• 2 weeks later...

The Icy dock IB-544SSK, is mounted

27031555901_e904f62f1e_n.jpg

And it was easy too, thanks to the snap locks

27099798075_6898b327b9_n.jpg

Was a bit worried about the product depth, but it fits perfectly.

27099797675_3ef8515c3d_n.jpg

Ahhh, trayless

26494388394_e4c6a64216_n.jpg

All loaded, now i just need the Adaptec 1430SA to arrive from spain. (Hurry up, mr. postman)

Ordered the Lycom PE-120 (since the Adaptec haven't arrived)

26825707100_3ef8515c3d_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Setup updated June 12 2016

CPU: Celeron G1610 2 MB (BX80637G1610)

Drive Cage: Raidsonic IB-544SKK

SATA Expansion Card: LyCOM PE-120 (fully connected) Adaptec RAID 1430SA (nothing connected)

Primary Use: Media (movies, tvseries and backup)

Total Drive Capacity: 11+1 Drives (only 10 datadrives at the moment)

2 x 2TB WD20EARX Caviar green

1 x 2TB WD20EARS Caviar green

1 x 2TB WD20EACS Caviar green

2 x 2TB ST2000DM001 Seagate

4 x 3TB DT01ACA300 Toshiba

Have gotten my hands on a i5-3570K CPU. This is going to be installed as soon as the part gets here.

Have ordered a WD 30EZRZ, gonna be precleared and stored as a hot spare, ready for duty

Have ordered a Intenso 128 GB SSD, gonna try out using a Cache drive

Have ordered a USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit adapter to my Laptop.

Future plans.

Get Plex mediaserver up and running.

Get to learn and use some of the applications

See if the cache drive thing is something for me.

Future plans.

This would indicate you would benefit from a (SSD recommended) cache drive. No long delay while the array wakes up just to browse your catalog in Plex (dockers installed on cache drive). Also improves your upload speed to the server as files sit on cache drive until moved (you set schedule) to the share(s) on the array.

The only delay, if using a cache drive, will be when loading the show you choose (assuming disk where show is stored is spun down) and then it's only couple seconds.

Future plans.

This would indicate you would benefit from a (SSD recommended) cache drive. No long delay while the array wakes up just to browse your catalog in Plex (dockers installed on cache drive). Also improves your upload speed to the server as files sit on cache drive until moved (you set schedule) to the share(s) on the array.

The only delay, if using a cache drive, will be when loading the show you choose (assuming disk where show is stored is spun down) and then it's only couple seconds.

Yes it does seem like a cache drive is a 'must have'

Find the mover script great.

But need to work out how mover knows where to put the different files.

Let's say I put 1 movie 2 episodes from one tv series 3 episodes from another tv series. How does mover know which share to move the file to?

Sendt fra min Nexus 6P med Tapatalk