Adding sepate shares to all of network

I have two shares, a Video and a Various. I would like to keep the Video share off my wife and daughters computer, but have it be available to my media players only.

The various share I would like to be available to every computer in our home. It has pics, and some documents on it that everyone can use.

How can I do this?

Stupid tapatalk.. Don't think it saved my edit.. This does nothing for actual security, it's just hiding the share. You can still access the videos share by entering the path on a pc. If you need user access control, you need to set up 2 users. One with read access to both shares for the media players, and one with read/write to the various share only.

Thanks.

No need for security, I don't think, I just don't want the videos share to be showing up on peoples computer.

The various disk (yes it various will have it's own disk.) might benefit from UAC, and I will look into that, since it has all of our photos on it. I want it to be visible, but only accessible to certain people..

I ran into this problem reading the config. manual.

Under my 'shares tab' I have have share settings, and when I configure that only then do I get a 'SMB Security Settings' and under the 'Export' tab I have options:

Yes

No

Hidden

Then the only other choice I have is security which has :

public

Secure

Private (which is greyed out, I cannot select)

Help! :)

I ran into this problem reading the config. manual.

Under my 'shares tab' I have have share settings, and when I configure that only then do I get a 'SMB Security Settings' and under the 'Export' tab I have options:

Yes

No

Hidden

Then the only other choice I have is security which has :

public

Secure

Private (which is greyed out, I cannot select)

Help! :)

Change the Export to Hidden.  Leave Security set to Public.

Then it won't show when you're browsing the server [i.e. \\Tower] ... but you can explicitly access it via \\tower\Video

Ok, did that, thanks. But now the Video share is gone off my computer too and while I can access it via the web browser it's not ideal. On top of that disk 1 and flash are still showing up on all of the computers.

Maybe the way I need to word it is, I would like all folders blocked from certain computers. I would like to allow access to only one or two folders on each computer.

On my computer I want access to it all under network section.

On the Web GUI main page, click on disk1, then on disk2, then on disk3, ..., and then on flash.    In each case, you can set the "Export" to hidden ... then you won't see those when browsing the network.

You can't make this work differently on different computers  :)

What you CAN do on your system is a couple of things ...

(a)  Simply map a network drive to those shares you plan to use that would otherwise require typing the full network address [i.e. in Windows Explorer go to Tools - Map Network Drive -- then type the full address of the folder you want to map (\\Tower\Video)]      You may, for example, want to map drive V: to your Video share.

(b)  Simply put a shortcut to the folder on your desktop, so a double-click takes you there.  [right-click on some blank space; select New - Shortcut;  type the full path; then click Next; name it; and you're done]

I can access it via the web browser ...

???  You can easily access it in Windows Explorer --- just type the address:  \\Tower\Video

Are you using the correct "slashes" ??    Not that you need to use \  NOT  /

If I go to my computer and type in the address bar any combination of tower it takes me to a web browser and the unRAID GUI. Prior to taking the share off hidden export it would take me to the folder.

Ok... I'm following you.

Let me try and take it one step further. Say I set all to 'export' 'hidden'.

I then map a drive to get all shares back on my computer.

Can I then go to the other computers and map the drives I want on them?

Yes, drives or shares.

Nice. Thanks both!

One last question. Am I limited in using UAC and/or hidden functions because I haven't bought a license yet?

Ok... I'm following you.

You can"t "map a drive to get all shares back on my computer"  ==> you can map a drive to ONE share.    You'll need to map several drives to get everything.  [i.e. you could map V: to "Videos",  M: (for "Miscellaneous")to "Various"; and perhaps U: (for UnRAID) to the Flash drive.]

Then could do the same for other computers -- only mapping the shares you want to be easily accessible to drive letters.

If I go to my computer and type in the address bar any combination of tower it takes me to a web browser and the unRAID GUI. Prior to taking the share off hidden export it would take me to the folder.

Check whether you're using forward slashes (//) or reverse slashes (\\).    You need to use Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer), and type reverse slashes in the address bar to get to a folder.

i.e.  \\Tower\Video  will take you to your Video share.

\\Tower\Disk1\Video  will take you to the video folder on disk1 (which is part of the video share, but only the part that's on disk1)

Ok... I'm following you.

You can"t "map a drive to get all shares back on my computer"  ==> you can map a drive to ONE share.    You'll need to map several drives to get everything.  [i.e. you could map V: to "Videos",  M: (for "Miscellaneous")to "Various"; and perhaps U: (for UnRAID) to the Flash drive.]

Then could do the same for other computers -- only mapping the shares you want to be easily accessible to drive letters.

Right, right. I get that. Since I only have a Video share and a Various share it won't be a big deal to map each share and maybe the flash drive. I don't need access to all my drives (future drives :) ).

Cool.

Check whether you're using forward slashes (//) or reverse slashes (\\).    You need to use Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer), and type reverse slashes in the address bar to get to a folder.

i.e.  \\Tower\Video  will take you to your Video share.

\\Tower\Disk1\Video  will take you to the video folder on disk1 (which is part of the video share, but only the part that's on disk1)

I was using forward slashes.  ::) Yes, reverse slashes works just as you say.

Are there any share features that are disabled because I'm on the free version?

Are there any share features that are disabled because I'm on the free version?

Yes, some security features aren't available.    In addition, there's no cache drive support in Basic, so obviously you can't cache share writes.  [there's also no Active Directory support, but that's not a share feature]

Yes and No  :)

You could password protect shares as you'd like (setting specific access rights for each user -- e.g. Read Only; Read/Write) ... which would achieve your desire of controlling access.

... but they'd still be visible unless you did what you just did here with regards to the export settings.

In other words, what you've controlled now is VISIBILITY of the shares -- NOT access.    i.e. your wife or daughter can still go to  \\Tower\Video  and change/delete/add stuff to the share.

With the security features, you can control ACCESS ... whether or not they're visible.    They would have to enter a password to get access -- and even then they would only have the access rights you had assigned to them (e.g. "Read Only").

Note that all you need to get all those features is a Plus license -- all Pro adds is Active Directory support and support for a lot more drives.

By the way, the 2-pack is a much better deal -- and provides a spare license key if you should ever need it (perhaps for a backup server as the volume of your data grows).    You don't even have to buy another flash drive now -- you can do that whenever you want and then send in the GUID for your 2nd key.

Archived