Minimum "Preclear Box" Requirements

wheel

Just like it sounds, didn't see anything on search - I've run out of slots, and am planning to ask a friend at a repair store whether they have any old boxes lying around they'd be willing to let go of for a song.

Does anyone have any recommendations on bare minimums to keep in mind if the ONLY thing I want to do is slap in a drive and run Preclear?

There are really only two things to be sue of ...

(1) That it will boot from a USB flash drive.  [Prepare one, boot your own system with it to confirm it's set up right; and then take the USB flash drive with you and confirm whatever you're looking at boots]

and

(2)  Be sure it has a SATA interface => older systems may only have IDE interfaces, and it's very unlikely you'll need to pre-clear an IDE drive  :)

I recently tried to preclear a Hitachi 4TB USB 3.0 drive (connected to a USB 2.0 port) and it took so long, I gave up and ripped it open. It helped that I could read the serial number and check the warranty of the bare drive online. At that point I figured there was no point keeping it in the case. I think it would have taken about 7 to 10 days to preclear vs. about 2 days via SATA.

I recently tried to preclear a Hitachi 4TB USB 3.0 drive (connected to a USB 2.0 port) and it took so long, I gave up and ripped it open. It helped that I could read the serial number and check the warranty of the bare drive online. At that point I figured there was no point keeping it in the case. I think it would have taken about 7 to 10 days to preclear vs. about 2 days via SATA.

USB 2.0 is too slow, Approx 30MB/s tops, USB 3.0 is on par with eSATA, possibly even faster (from what I've read).

USB 2.0 is too slow, Approx 30MB/s tops, USB 3.0 is on par with eSATA, possibly even faster (from what I've read).

I tried to preclear a USB 3.0 disk via a RDM'd drive in an unRAID virtual box setup on Windows 7 host - so lots of overhead.  And got 60+MB/s so USB 3.0 native would definately be close to eSATA.

Does anyone know of an expresscard 34 that works with unRAID/Linux ?

perhaps that with a cheap laptop and external dock would work out really nice.

I suppose a PCMCIA card in an older model would suffice too.

I like to use these for working on drives temporarily.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707169

StarTech SAT3510BU2E Aluminum 3.5" Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure

I know. That's my point about USB 3.0 not being supported.  ;D

Archived