Idea for keeping drives spun down..

I have Sickbeard and couchpotato running of the cachedrive. All downloads and processing is done on the cachedrive and only completed files are saved to the appropriate share (Series or Movies).

Since this runs of the server a save to /mnt/user/Series means the file gets written to the actual array disk and not to the cachedrive..

What would happen if I would save post processed sickbeard files to /mnt/cache/Series ?

I think that actually would work.. Only thing is that I would need the /mnt/user/Series folder to be persistent... At the moment the mover completely removes it... Could I set specific rights on the dir making it impossible for the Mover to remove the dir but still move the files ?

Hi Influencer, I know.. But that is not the point I am making, but perhaps I am mistaken

When stuff is written ON the server and not thru a share (so by an on-server process like sickbeard, couchpotato), as far as I know then the cache drive is not used in transfers.. Is that not correct ?

What I suggest would circumvent that by writing directly to the physical folder on the cache drive that is written to the array nightly..

When stuff is written ON the server and not thru a share (so by an on-server process like sickbeard, couchpotato), as far as I know then the cache drive is not used in transfers.. Is that not correct ?

No. 

If you use /mnt/user then the cache drive is used (if present) even for local transfers.    If you WANT to by-pass the cache drive you can use /mnt/user0 in local transfers.