[GUIDE] Virtualizing unRAID in KVM on openSUSE 13.1 (64Bit) <--- Completed 12/19

grumpybutfun

The Supermicro board i use in my Andromeda ESXi build is LGA775 based and supported VT-d.

SUPERMICRO MBD-C2SBC-Q-O

Well that what I would call that a verified candidate for Olympia.  As long as it meets the expectations for a given use then why not.  Even better if you also have unused DDR2 memory laying around.  Interesting you got it to run with 16GB ram too, although getting 4GB sticks is a little pricey compared to DDR3.

Only cons I would have with it is it has 5 PCI slots and only 2 PCIe slots and it is a full sizes ATX board.  And it will be a little power hungry compared to more recent technology, especially if you plan on running it 7x24.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rewent through the guide, this time installed the KDE destop environment to minimize the differentiation from the guide that I was making... got to the same point (with no drives attached, the unraid boot menu showed up, passed through PCIe controller and USB controller, rebooted, plugged all drives and USB drive back in and attempt to start the server only to reach an error.

The error I received was:

Error starting domain: failed to create logfile /var/log/libvirt/qemu/unRAID.log: No such file or directory. 

As soon as the error pops up, my IMPI window starts going nuts and I'm pretty much shut out of my system from then on.

Any thoughts?

Ogi

From a previous post you are using a Supermicro X9SCM-F motherboard and Xeon 1230 CPU? 

I have not been using IMPI at this time for this testing.  I have a vga monitor connected directly to the motherboard.  I would try eliminating IMPI as a source of your problems.  Connect up a mouse and keyboard too. 

You should be able to just reboot your system to try this without reloading everything again.  This would be the first step I would try.

Edit:  I just tried using IMPI on my own system and everything works.  But I would still like to see what happens on your system using directly connected peripherals.

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately moving a monitor/keyboard over to the server isn't practical for the time being (I'm actually moving in a few weeks where that may change), was hoping the error would be obvious :P

I actually don't think I edited the boot-loader options properly ... so I'm going to give this another go from the top during my off time from work in the coming days.

Ogi

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately moving a monitor/keyboard over to the server isn't practical for the time being (I'm actually moving in a few weeks where that may change), was hoping the error would be obvious :P

I actually don't think I edited the boot-loader options properly ... so I'm going to give this another go from the top during my off time from work in the coming days.

Ogi

One other thought.  Did you check the hash on the ISO download? 

Ogi

One other thought.  Did you check the hash on the ISO download?

I had not, but if the hash was no good, would I have been able to get the unRAID boot manager prompt (prior to hooking up all the drives and the unRAID USB stick)?

I suspect that I needed to edit the bootloader like some people did in the previous page...

I used a Q9550S & SuperMicro X7SBE with ESXi 5.0 and pass through with unRAID and a Windows VM.  Only problems I had with that was the Windows VM would flake out on occasion unRAID was rock solid.  I will be testing this (OpenSUSE and KVM) on it start of next year before I switch out my ESXi boxes.

Well you guys are way ahead of me now.  I finally got some images made, so next time I hose something, its not fatal.  Clonezilla sure doesn't like cloning btrfs partitions -> network destinations.  (finally had to send them to a usb external)

Now I get kernel panics

MAc5Gj4.png

and after passing through one of the 1015's and restarting the vm, I go to pixie land....  Eventually it boots to the same kernel panic.

7bjifG1.png

This is on a Supermicro x9 scm and a xeon1220 that was running esxi just fine.  Should I recheck my bios settings?

Well you guys are way ahead of me now.  I finally got some images made, so next time I hose something, its not fatal.  Clonezilla sure doesn't like cloning btrfs partitions -> network destinations.  (finally had to send them to a usb external)

Now I get kernel panics

MAc5Gj4.png

and after passing through one of the 1015's and restarting the vm, I go to pixie land....

7bjifG1.png

This is on a Supermicro x9 scm and a xeon1220 that was running esxi just fine.  Should I recheck my bios settings?

I'm no expert here, but I found 2 virtualization related BIOS settings in the supermicro x9scm-f bios (I'm using bios 2.0c).  One enabled VT-d and one enabled Intel Virtualization ... I can't remember where they were located exactly (would have to go home to check).

Ogi

I'm no expert here, but I found 2 virtualization related BIOS settings in the supermicro x9scm-f bios (I'm using bios 2.0c).  One enabled VT-d and one enabled Intel Virtualization ... I can't remember where they were located exactly (would have to go home to check).

Well both are set up as yours.  I created another unRaid VM, downloaded a new fresh copy of the VHD, pulled all controllers out of their slots and booted her naked.  Same results....

With a controller passed through, the PXE screen is there for an extended time, but it eventually boots and instantly does a kernel panic.  Hmm...  This was the system that I was sure would just work without issue since it runs Esxi 5.1 without issue.  (xeon 1220 supermicro x9 scm)

So is there no way just to have KVM boot directly from the usb? This way you will not have to release a new .vhd file every time?

You are going to pass through your unRAID USB Flash Drive so this wouldn't work.

You either boot a VHD file, PXE boot a bzroot and bzimage with KVM support or boot a bzroot and bzimage with KVM support from the local drive.

The simple and easiest method is booting a VHD file.

So is there no way just to have KVM boot directly from the usb? This way you will not have to release a new .vhd file every time?

You are going to pass through your unRAID USB Flash Drive so this wouldn't work.

You either boot a VHD file, PXE boot a bzroot and bzimage with KVM support or boot a bzroot and bzimage with KVM support from the local drive.

The simple and easiest method is booting a VHD file.

I should have said boot the unraid virtual machine directly from the usb. From what Tom has posted it appears unRaid 6.1 will be 64 bit with virtualization support. So once this occurs then you just pxe boot from the usb drive?

I should have said boot the unraid virtual machine directly from the usb. From what Tom has posted it appears unRaid 6.1 will be 64 bit with virtualization support. So once this occurs then you just pxe boot from the usb drive?

If he "bakes" KVM / Xen" into unRAID, you are correct.

Where is unRAID 6.0? Where did Tom talk about unRAID 6.1?

I must have missed the announcement about all of this. Can you provide a link?

If he "backs" KVM / Xen" into unRAID, you are correct.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28839.msg278569#msg278569

In his post announcing the release of 5.04 (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=30657.0).

After 'webGui on github' has been pushed, next will be release 5.1 which will incorporate whatever current state of webGui is at that point.  Very soon thereafter will be release 6.1, which is just like 5.1 only 64-bit kernel.  Thatz the planz anywayz.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Grumpy,

I am back again :-)

just used this guide to setup an opensuse with KVM

and run unRaid.

the install was fast and easy

downloaded the  VDK and setup the VM in 5 min.

can pass the USB just fine and boot into unRaid with the flash.

web interface is reachable and all is fine.

as soon as I add the PCI card it stops booting.

error adding device XXXX no IOMMU found.

I guess I am out of luck and will try to set up a system with  pure OpenSuse + BTRFS RAID 6 + SUMBA

but very nice work any way thanks.

Hey Grumpy,

I am back again :-)

just used this guide to setup an opensuse with KVM

and run unRaid.

the install was fast and easy

downloaded the  VDK and setup the VM in 5 min.

can pass the USB just fine and boot into unRaid with the flash.

web interface is reachable and all is fine.

as soon as I add the PCI card it stops booting.

error adding device XXXX no IOMMU found.

I guess I am out of luck and will try to set up a system with  pure OpenSuse + BTRFS RAID 6 + SUMBA

i had this problem when testing this walkthrough, this post fixed it for me.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=30715.msg278369#msg278369

Did you go into Yast and add the following in the bootloader so it updates grub?

Intel CPU

intel_iommu= on

I forgot to update the guide with this, the screenshots and what to put for Intel and AMD. I will do that tomorrow.

Did you go into Yast and add the following in the bootloader so it updates grub?

Intel CPU

intel_iommu= on

I forgot to update the guide with this, the screenshots and what to put for Intel and AMD. I will do that tomorrow.

I believe the correct syntax is:

intel_iommu=on

No spaces......At least that's the way I've seen it used elsewhere. BTW, it didn't help with my pci-passthrough.

Any good reason why after installation my USB keyboard is no longer recognized?  Functions through boot and grub menu and then nothing once the OS and user login appears

No clue.

Google openSUSE and keyboard see what others are saying.

Or post in their forums, they will be able to assist a lot better on there.

Any good reason why after installation my USB keyboard is no longer recognized?  Functions through boot and grub menu and then nothing once the OS and user login appears

maybe a driver related issue with the usb port itself rather than the keyboard ?

sometimes installations of os'es come with a catchall driver for a lot of peripherals that have basic function enough to complete installation and are omitted from the final install.

Archived