Upgrade from 5.0-rc16c to 5.0.4 failed?

BartDG

Hi All,

I setup my unRAID server last August with 5.0-rc16 back then.  I'm not a Linux wizard, but with the help of the FAQ and wiki's I was able to pull it off and get a working setup.

Yesterday I saw that there was now a 5.0 final, the most recent being 5.0.4. 

The upgrade intructions clearly stated:

5.0-rc9 through 5.0-rc16c

Prepare the flash: either shutdown your server and plug the flash into your PC or Stop the array and perform the following actions referencing the flash share on your network:

Copy the files bzimage, bzroot, and syslinux.cfg from the zip file to the root of your flash device, overwriting the same-named files already there.

Reboot your server. Once boot-up has completed, you should see "Stopped. Configuration valid." array status with all disks assigned correctly. Some users have reported having to re-run 'make_bootable' script on the flash.

So I stopped my array and copied the bzimage and bzroot files to the root of the flash drive, overwriting the original files.  I also copied the syslinux.cfg file.  One thing strange about that, was that in the 5.0.4. zip, the syslinux.cfg file was located in a separate /syslinux folder, while on my flash drive, it was located in the root of the drive.  I decided to copy the syslinux.cfg file from the /syslinux folder to the root of my flashdrive nonetheless, overwriting the original file.  Then I shut the system down and rebooted. 

Now, when the system boots I get the message "Could not find kernel image : /syslinux/menuc32  and it doesn't boot.  My instincts tell me to go ahead and copy the entire /syslinux folder to the flash drive and try again, but I'm reluctant to do so before any confirmation saying that's the correct path to choose. 

What am I to do now?  I already re-ran the "make_bootable" script.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm attempting to do the same upgrade from RC16 to 5.0.4 and having the same problems. Are you supposed to leave the syslinux.cfg in the root of the drive or and copy over the whole syslinux folder or leave syslinux.cfg in the root of the folder and copy the new syslinux.cfg file over it in the root of the drive and copy the syslinux folder over or what?

I swear I'm trying every which way and it is not booting up.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm attempting to do the same upgrade from RC16 to 5.0.4 and having the same problems. Are you supposed to leave the syslinux.cfg in the root of the drive or and copy over the whole syslinux folder or leave syslinux.cfg in the root of the folder and copy the new syslinux.cfg file over it in the root of the drive and copy the syslinux folder over or what?

I swear I'm trying every which way and it is not booting up.

I'm responding to this post in hopes it helps someone else. I'm a linux noob and I had the same problem as listed above without completely clear instructions for the solution.

I was migrating from 5 RC10 to 5.0.5. I attempted to follow the instructions for upgrading on the link found in the changelong "http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_Instructions". it reads:

5.0-rc9 through 5.0-rc16c

Prepare the flash: either shutdown your server and plug the flash into your PC or Stop the array and perform the following actions referencing the flash share on your network:

Copy the files bzimage, bzroot, and syslinux.cfg from the zip file to the root of your flash device, overwriting the same-named files already there.

Reboot your server. Once boot-up has completed, you should see "Stopped. Configuration valid." array status with all disks assigned correctly. Some users have reported having to re-run 'make_bootable' script on the flash.

The problem is that starting on 5.0.4 they introduced the syslinux folder to zip file and the syslinux.cfg file resides in that folder. I copied over both bzimage and bzroot and the syslinux folder. I then ran the make_bootable.bat and attempted to start up my unraid server and I just got caught on an error of something along the lines of menu c32 or something. After a few other attempts even bringing 5.0RC10 back on just to check the flash drive I ended up with this:

I added ".old" extenstions to menu.c32 and syslinux.cfg to the files located in the root directory of the flash drive example: "syslinux.cfg.old"

Copied and over wroter bzimage, bzroot, make_bootable.bat, memtest, readme.txt, and the syslinux folder from the zip file

Run the make_bootable.bat

Right click the drive choose "eject"

Installed in powered on my unraid server

It booted just fine although it started with all drives mounted and running, I never saw "Stopped. Configuration valid." Also I probably could just have deleted the files I added ".old" instead. Like I said I am a linux noob, but I hope that this will help someone in the same situation I was in.

• 1 month later...

Solved! 

I needed to copy the entire syslinux directory to the flashdrive.  This wasn't mentioned in the FAQ, it only mentioned the syslinux.cfg file.  Everything is peachy  now.  ;D

I guess the FAQ should be updated.

Can someone PLEASE update the FAQ? It says only copy the syslinux.cfg. I found this forum because i thought it unusual to only copy the cfg without having a syslinux folder on my flash drive to begin with.

Solved! 

I needed to copy the entire syslinux directory to the flashdrive.  This wasn't mentioned in the FAQ, it only mentioned the syslinux.cfg file.  Everything is peachy  now.  ;D

I guess the FAQ should be updated.

Can someone PLEASE update the FAQ? It says only copy the syslinux.cfg. I found this forum because i thought it unusual to only copy the cfg without having a syslinux folder on my flash drive to begin with.

I'll give it a shot...if I can find it. Where did you see this? In the official FAQ or in the release notes in the forums?

(sorry to be so dense...I just don't see what you do.)

• 2 months later...

Archived