Cannot shutdown unRAID Server!!

Hi everyone, every time I hit the power button from the unRAID web gui, the system shuts down, and after a couple of seconds, it starts up again... If I issue a "shutdown -h now" command via ssh then it shuts down normally without starting again. I installed the "clean powerdown" script from unMENU and I tested shutdown with couple of ways (with the physical power button, with the /sbin/powerdown command via ssh, ctrl+alt+del while in command line, or with the unRAID GUI power button again, because it says that the initial power down script will be renamed and will use the new one from unMENU) without any success. Now the only way to shutdown my server is via ssh and the "shutdown -h now" command.. Is there any viable way to get it work..??

Ok, thanks, now I get somewhere in the middle.. I disabled everything (I had only wake on lan on to remotely power up the server, now I can't, that's ok, I shall ask someone to power it up if I want..), and now every single way can actually shut the server down, EXCEPT from the unRAID web gui. If I press from there to power down, the server actually shuts down, and then start back up after 5 seconds or so.. Is there a way to assign the power button of the gui to execute the /sbin/powerdown command, instead of "whatever command lime-technology decides to execute and makes my system not to power down"?? I opened a NAT port for the web gui and I want at least to be able to power down the server remotely..

EDIT: Today nothing cannot shutdown the server, even the "shutdown -h now" command... :( What's going on?? I think that this has nothing to do with the power on lan (which I turned off yesterday). I tried to connect the server directly to a pc with a crossover cable and static ip settings. I gave the command from there via telnet, and also pressed the power button on the web gui but the server keeps turn on again after 5 seconds.... :(

I opened a NAT port for the web gui and I want at least to be able to power down the server remotely..

Unraid webgui is not designed to be exposed to the internet. If you want remote access, you should set up a VPN, or use a remote login setup on another machine on your lan, like logmein or gotomypc. I would turn off that port forward rule soonest.
Unraid webgui is not designed to be exposed to the internet. If you want remote access, you should set up a VPN, or use a remote login setup on another machine on your lan, like logmein or gotomypc. I would turn off that port forward rule soonest.

It's through a VPN tunnel, so don't bother with this..

That's just the clean power down script.

There are two lines which seems to denote error:

1) /etc/rc.d/rc.unRAID: line 195: echo: write error: Invalid argument

2) mount: can't find / in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

I thought I'd seen 2 on a completely stock unRAID shut down.  Definitely shows on my clearing station where I only have installed unMENU and drive access monitoring plugins installed.  So that one seems like it is normal to me - maybe the other one as well.

You need to provide a list of equipment in your server setup.  Especially the motherboard that you are using. 

The condition that you are describing sounds like you are using a server type motherboard and it is set in the BIOS to restart when there is power to the power supply.

I use a non-Server motherboard  ---> (Foxconn 31MXP-K) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186167

There isn't any such option in BIOS.. Even if I load CMOS defaults, the M/B acts as described..

If this is your MB (http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/850000-874999/871892-an-01-en-Motherboard_G31MXP_Series.pdf) Then check out page 41 for the "PWRON after PWR-Fail" option.

This setting is set to Off.. I can't figure out what's wrong.... :( If I boot Linux then it shuts down just right.. Only from unRAID OS the M/B has this annoying behaviour...

Try killing the 'wake-up on LAN' option and see what happens...

Try killing the 'wake-up on LAN' option and see what happens...

How can I do that on unRAID? (It's off from the BIOS)

Sorry about that.  I was recalling what I had read much earlier (in Reply# 2 of this thread) about 'wake up on lan' and had (erroneously) assumed that you were/might be using this feature. 

Perhaps, this is a bit of grasping at straws, but have you checked to see that you have the latest version of the BIOS installed on this board. 

Outside of that, I must admit that I am stumped at this point.  Too bad that another user of the motherboard has not chimed in with his experiences using it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I found the culprit! After long long troubleshooting, I realise that when unRAID boots, it resets my BIOS settings.. The default BIOS setting for wake-on-lan seems to be ON. And when it is ON, as a chain reaction (maybe due to a Linux distro bug) the system cannot shut down. What I found as an interim solution is to check a BIOS-Protect option in the BIOS settings. After that I can shutdown normally.

dgaschk I appreciate your suggestion, but I have set up an extra usb key with a free license just for this reason, not having any plugins at all, and without any disk in the array. Just to test. I can't shut down either from there!

But why unRAID resets BIOS settings when it boots?

But why unRAID resets BIOS settings when it boots?

This is the first time I have ever heard of this as an issue so it seems unlikely to be something in unRAID itself or many people would see it.

It might be worth checking something like the battery used to back up the BIOS settings in CMOS is OK.  I have certainly heard of PC's that lose their settings any time power is lost if the CMOS battery is suspect.