Copying 32-bit unRAID configuration to new 64-bit unRAID flash drive

I wanted to start with a clean install of 64-bit unRAID to a new flash while keeping my disk assignments, share configurations, users, etc. but without any of the other stuff that might have accumulated on my 32-bit flash. After examining the contents of /boot/config, it looked like the following files would need to be copied. The descriptions of each file may be incomplete.

Text Files - things that are set from the webGUI

disk.cfg: Settings - Disk Settings and Device Settings for each disk

flash.cfg:  Device Settings for the flash

ident.cfg: Settings - Date and Time; Identification

network.cfg: Settings - Network Settings

share.cfg: Settings - Share Settings

passwd and smbpasswd : Users from GUI plus other users

shares folder: each share has a .cfg file

super.dat: not text but seems to contain the disk serial numbers.

I copied these to a new flash (with a new key) containing only the files in the unRAID 64-bit distribution. It almost worked and here's where I think I may have gone wrong.

Instead of shutting down and taking both flash drives to Windows to do the copying, I mounted the new flash in unRAID (with the array running) and copied there. Then I rebooted and selected the new flash to boot in the BIOS. Everything went just fine and all my configuration seems to be there, but it started a parity check.

I think something gets written, probably super.dat, when the array starts to indicate it is running, and then gets written again to indicate the array is stopped. I copied the file when it was running so unRAID thought it was restarting from an unclean shutdown. In fact, I think I remember reading about this on the forum.

This is probably all documented somewhere. Please elaborate, correct, or link to the documentation.

super.dat contains your disk assignment information.

If you have a listing of your disk assignments. You just need to know which is parity, cache, unassigned.

Then with the 64-bit, you do your new config, assigning the disks accordingly and that will create the super.dat file

And then I could have told it to trust parity and I could start the array.

But I would have had to recreate the users and share settings.

Instead, I copied super.dat and the cfg files I listed. Then I didn't have to assign or recreate anything. I think the only problem was copying super.dat while the array was running. Then when I rebooted it started the array as if it had been an unclean shutdown and began a parity check.

I let the parity check finish and it was a little faster than with 32bit. I plan to do more testing on that.

Thanks for confirming the role of super.dat in the disk assignments. Am I correct that it also tracks whether the array is started or stopped?

... It almost worked ...

If everything worked and the only "issue" is that it started a parity check, I'd say it worked just fine.    Certainly doesn't hurt to do a parity check with the new version  :)

On the other hand, UnRAID clearly writes the shutdown status to the flash ... otherwise it wouldn't "know" when it boots whether or not the last shutdown was "clean".    I suspect you're correct that this info is written to super.dat => but it's certainly simple enough to check (just repeat the process, but shut down first; and include super.dat in the copied files).