[Appliance] unRAID KVM - Arch Linux (2014.07.18) self maintained (adv users)

binhex

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work badger!  Can you please add nzbget and nzbdrone?

Edit: Also, question about PMS.  Is it the regular version (0.9.8.18) or the PlexPass version (AUR lists 0.9.9.0 but latest is actually 0.9.9.1).  If it's the regular version, any chance of adding the PlexPass version for those of us with a PlexPass, or does that make things too complicated?

Great work badger!  Can you please add nzbget and nzbdrone?

Edit: Also, question about PMS.  Is it the regular version (0.9.8.18) or the PlexPass version (AUR lists 0.9.9.0 but latest is actually 0.9.9.1).  If it's the regular version, any chance of adding the PlexPass version for those of us with a PlexPass, or does that make things too complicated?

I'll try!

Surprised Ironic did install this in his VM or nobody else suggested it... Webmin. You can manage your VM all from a WebGUI.

Right now it's flagged out of date on Arch but I bet it works and will be updated shortly.

There are also a lot of plugins / skins for it. The OpenVPN add-on is in AUR.

I trying to install OpenVPN module from webmin , but no success.

I chose a local file I have downloaded (openvpn-2.6.wbm), the GUI say that file do not exist?? can this be done from the command prompt ?

same for "Third party module from"

Maybe webmin is not compatible with Arch yet ?

AUR, can some one explain how to install software from there ?

//Peter

Surprised Ironic did install this in his VM or nobody else suggested it... Webmin. You can manage your VM all from a WebGUI.

Right now it's flagged out of date on Arch but I bet it works and will be updated shortly.

There are also a lot of plugins / skins for it. The OpenVPN add-on is in AUR.

I trying to install OpenVPN module from webmin , but no success.

I chose a local file I have downloaded (openvpn-2.6.wbm), the GUI say that file do not exist?? can this be done from the command prompt ?

same for "Third party module from"

Maybe webmin is not compatible with Arch yet ?

AUR, can some one explain how to install software from there ?

//Peter

There's quite a few steps and they are all on my blog somewhere.

I am happy to just compile stuff and put it in my repo for now though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Even though this was built for KVM, should this work under Xen? I don't know the level of compatibility between the VMs. I am thinking of trying this on my XenServer 6.2 server, and not UnRAID 6.0 yet, but want to know if it should work before I try.

I've already started looking into this, seems very doable just need to convert back to raw format and then convert into vhd, then a few more tweaks and some paravirtualisation drivers and it should work

Edit take a look here http://fixx.co.za/convert-raw-disk-image-vhd-format/

Oh btw, binhex. Tom isn't going KVM in the early beta's but Xen instead. Can you convert your image pls.

Yeah I found that out half way through the build of the VM :( will take a look on Monday and see how hard it is to convert over.

The OP still refers to KVM, but the posts above indicate you were willing/trying to change over to XEN.  I am just curious if this is now a XEN image, or if I need to install all the stuff Peter listed to get KVM working with unRAID so I can try this image?

I installed IronicBadger's ArchVM image, but could never get SAB & SB to work together properly, and ran out of ideas on how to resolve, so I want to try something else, and this looks like a great option.

thanks.

hi JustinChase, im not currently devoting any time to this im afraid as it was in kvm format, which as you have noticed is not currently included in unraid so for now its going to stay as it is.

to be honest if your having issues with SB and SAB then your going to get the same issues here, this would be the same os with the same apps installed, only difference being the hypervisor, which is of no consequence.

i did see your latest post and i will try and help you through your issues there, im 100% sure they are permissions related, i too have had a small niggle with sickbeard not allowing me to update due to permissions, this was fixed with a quick bit of chown/chmod on the sickbeard folder for the user defined in the systemd service, so i think with some tweaking you can get ironic's vm working fine, hope you havent deleted it in a fit of anger?  ;D

will chat more here, as i want to leave this thread clean for now http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33098.0

binhex.

• 1 month later...

@binhex

i have give 9p a try to see if I can pass trough a filesystem, and it works great!  cool to access my cache drive on the host from a VM :-)

I do also working to use macvlan / macvtab,  need still some tuning, but looks great as an alternative for  bridging i use right now.

All this needs some more modules enabled in the kernel!

//Peter

@binhex

i have give 9p a try to see if I can pass trough a filesystem, and it works great!  cool to access my cache drive on the host from a VM :-)

I do also working to use macvlan / macvtab,  need still some tuning, but looks great as an alternative for  bridging i use right now.

All this needs some more modules enabled in the kernel!

//Peter

superb stuff with 9p peter!, that was on my list to have a look at, very excited that it works as one of the ongoing battles with me is applications in a xen vm talking nicely to the unraid host using nfs/samba, if i can just hook directly into any array drive or cache drive directly in a kvm vm then thats awesome!, what configuration did you have to do specifically in order to get 9p to see your cache drive?.