avahi errors - Invalid response packet from host

drawde

Yes, they are probably coming from your Macs, and are harmless. But if you're getting them every few seconds, they're a pain.

1. You're running 5.0.4? What OS on your Macs?

2. Do the error messages include at their ends, the IP or MAC address of the offending device?

This came up once before...does anyone recall how it was fixed?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=29285.0

I have had these invalid packet responses for quite sometime, as well as a couple other issues relating to slow afp directory read's. Most of my invalid packets seemed to come from my Macbook pro & a couple cell phones in the house. In my research into my afp issues, I ran across a thread relating to the .Apple/.DStore folders and ran the command in http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=22604.msg204602#msg204602 on my Laptop only. Funny thing is my invalid packet responses have since dropped to 1 or 2 per day, unless I am directly accessing my server The invalid packets from cell phones have stopped completely, only my laptop produces them now..... My dropped packets have also dropped down from aprox. 10k per day to about ~800. I'm not sure if this command fixed the issue, but it is the only change I have made...

I did also find a command in the forums here to delete all .A[a]pple* & .DStore folders on my Server, so i completed this as well.....

To configure a Mac OS X user account so that .DS_Store files are not created when interacting with a remote file server using the Finder, follow the steps below:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

This will affect the user's interactions with SMB/CIFS, AFP, NFS, and WebDAV servers.

Either restart the computer or log out and back in to the user account.

Oh!  drawde, clowrym's idea might be your fix!

I get no avahi 'invalid response packets' messages on my LAN from my Macs.

But I never made the connection to .ds_store

I, too, ran this command a long time ago...basically to fix a different problem.*

*I was trying to fix two other things when I ran the command:

1. Prevent the proliferation of .ds_store and other hidden files on the unRAID server

2. To try to stop the long 'pause' when the finder points at a file on the array, and attempts to generate thumbnail previews. (I don't really need the little thumbnail in the finder, since I can always hit the space bar to force a preview.) OS X finder, by default, waits for the thumbnail to generate.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...