[Solved] New build, very slow parity check?

I trying to run my first parity check after building a new unraid 5.5 server and it's saying it will complete in 77,098 minutes (53 days!). It ran for about 1-hour before reaching 0.5% completed. I canceled it and thought I'd better check with the unraid gurus.

On my old unraid server this process only took about 10 hours. Wondering if there's something simple I'm missing here or do I have bigger problems?

Motherboard is ASUS M5A97 R2. It also has an Intel NIC, model # EXPI9301CT

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

parity.jpg.9b25f89169fe1d04d416eafc6591a26b.jpg

syslog.txt

Did you exit out of the webGUI and allow the parity check to run for an hour or were you sitting there watching it? 

The reason that I am asking is that the overhead (or background polling of the hd's) of the webGUI's will slow the parity speed down for some (if not all) GUI's.  I would suggest doing a 'non-correcting' parity check for this test as cancelling it out will have absolutely no effect on the disks or your data.  Simply start the test and exit the GUI.  Come back in an hour, reopen the GUI and check what the speed is at that point.  (if the non-correcting check finds an error, you have a bigger problem then the checking speed!)

I'll let it run for a while so I can build a bigger syslog.

Today I also noticed a new clicking / knocking sound coming from one of the hard drives but I'm not sure which one it is yet. I wonder if a drive is about to fail.

I'll let it run for a while so I can build a bigger syslog.

Today I also noticed a new clicking / knocking sound coming from one of the hard drives but I'm not sure which one it is yet. I wonder if a drive is about to fail.

Marginal power can also cause those symptoms.

Looks like this slow parity check was caused by a failing disk. I replaced the suspected bad disk with another that I had on hand and kicked off a new parity check. Now it's saying parity check will complete in a much more reasonable 321 minutes.

I'll be RMA'ing this bad drive and will update this thread once the parity check completes. Thanks everyone for your help!

Archived