Monitoring the Syslog

Tailing the syslog with tail -f /var/log/syslog I see some errors pop up occasionally. Overallnothing too alarming except something about an inode being hosed with a fsck? commetn afterwards. I'm no Linux Wiz but it looks like there might be some corruption and that the OS wants a file check? This brings up a question, if something gets a little borked with Reiser is there a way to correct it within unRAID?

Here's what I'm seeing presently, I've not got the fsck stuff displayed at the moment..

Mar 24 12:22:20 BEAST smbd[2133]:  sys_path_to_bdev() failed for path [.]!

Mar 24 12:22:20 BEAST smbd[2133]: [2006/03/24 12:22:20, 0] lib/sysquotas.c:sys_get_quota(386)

Mar 24 12:22:20 BEAST smbd[2133]:  sys_path_to_bdev() failed for path [.]!

I see the failed comments pretty often, sometimes all I have to do is refresh the WEB interface to make it appear. System appears to be running smothly though.

My syslog if full of these also.  I was hoping the new code would fix it.

A okay, so it was there before? I feel better then actually :) I had only monitored the logs for a short while before updating to the new code so I was under the impresion that this was new since I hadn't seen it before. naturally since my previous post the fsck? thing hasn't shown back up. Will post when I spot it but the other stuff seems pretty benign since my system ran just fine before... I've yet to see one of the dreaded DMA errors BTW but I had pretty reliable performance before too.

I'm presently ripping and moving alot of code to the array so at least one disk is seeing a good bit of activity. Multiple machines writing at once or trying to ripacross the network is a pretty bad idea -the array cannot hande it. Playback from it appears to be just fine though!

BLKMGK,

I have no problem ripping my DVDs to the unRaid server in the same amount of time that it takes to rip locally.

I can usually rip a two hour DVD to either the local HD or the unRaid server in 10 to 15 minutes.

I do not do ISO. I just rip the main title and the Dolby AC3 sound track without compression. No extras, no menus.

To say that ripping to the server is a "bad idea" might just be isolated to your setup.

Just a thought.

Regards,

TCIII

BLKMGK,

I have no problem ripping my DVDs to the unRaid server in the same amount of time that it takes to rip locally.

I can usually rip a two hour DVD to either the local HD or the unRaid server in 10 to 15 minutes.

I do not do ISO. I just rip the main title and the Dolby AC3 sound track without compression. No extras, no menus.

To say that ripping to the server is a "bad idea" might just be isolated to your setup.

Just a thought.

Regards,

TCIII

Well, I have one VERY fast machine with GigE on the same switch as my unRAID. My first attempt to rip with that machine took 6.5 HOURS for a single DVD that only compressed the extras. Another machine that started ripping just after the first also took 6 hours but is a MUCH slower CPU. Displayed bitrate for one was about 900K and the other maybe 1500K. If I rip local with either machine or even a 3rd still slower machine I see bitrates double and triple what I'd seen before and can complete a DVD in 11-25mins. That's ISO or folder format - I'm now doing just folders BTW but keeping extras, menus, etc.

I will admit that since that first attempt I've not tried to rip across the network since it was such a disaster and that perhaps multiple machines working was the problem but 6 hours compared to say 30mins is a pretty drastic difference! CPUs weren't maxxed and network traffic was low while that was going on, I don't think it was an issue with my various machines. Copying the resulting multi-gig files to the server from local now takes maybe 6-7mins unless I try to do it with multiple machines, at that point performance goes WAY down but nowhere near the hours long mark. <shrug>

Hope that provides some insight anyway!

P.S. I said 2-3times performance ripping locally. I just noticed that the bitrate for my second fastest machine is reporting nearly 8 meg a second so umm maybe a "little" more than 3 times ;) Both mytwo fastest machines have GigE onboard, one on th emotherboard (Nvidia) and another a Hawk add-on card. switch is an SMC unit - a CG58

We're looking at performance issues now - trying to make writes faster & let reads have priority over writes enough to prevent lost video frames.  Current s/w write performance peaks somewhere around 11MB/sec. (11 mega-Bytes per second).  There are both network issues and disk issues to address.

We're looking at performance issues now - trying to make writes faster & let reads have priority over writes enough to prevent lost video frames.  Current s/w write performance peaks somewhere around 11MB/sec. (11 mega-Bytes per second).  There are both network issues and disk issues to address.

I understand, I honestly didn't expect the newest software to solve things as you'd stated that wasn't the focus. So long as I don't multitask the server it seems to work better. I just tried ripping across the network again and was seeing over 2meg per second and that usually ramps up as I read towards the edge of the disk. Unfortunatly at 6% the software froze, below is some of what I see in the logs. I went back to a local rip and it's flying - at 46% I'm seeing nearly 11meg per second :D

Mar 24 19:13:05 BEAST smbd[1079]: [2006/03/24 19:13:05, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(798)

Mar 24 19:13:05 BEAST smbd[1079]:  192.168.1.250 (192.168.1.250) couldn't find service disk

Not sure if that helps at all. The software itself didn't crash and I was able to recover and start again local <shrug> Wonder if it doesn't like UNC naming? TyTools doesn't I don't think and neither does PSP Video9 as I recall. The software I'm using right now is DVD Shrink FWIW.

Ah Ha!!!!

One of the directories I've been unable to delete is the cause of the Fsck? errors in the log! When I attempt to delete it from Windows it reports that the directory isn't empty but nopthing I try in Windows displays anything. I've not tried navigating to it in Linux. I strongly suspect that at some point a filename with High ASCII was in the directory but I'm not positive. I've had filenames with Kanji and other languages trip me up, I think I've gotten rid of them all though.

Below is what I've been spotting in the log and when I access this directory or attempt to delete it the log goes a bit nutz :o

Mar 25 02:29:48 BEAST kernel: md(9,5):vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 40594524. Fsck?

Mar 25 02:29:48 BEAST kernel: md(9,5):vs-13070: reiserfs_read_inode2: i/o failure occurred trying to find stat data of [34613 34833 0x0 SD]

Mar 25 02:29:48 BEAST kernel: is_tree_node: node level 1709 does not match to the expected one 1

Mar 25 02:29:48 BEAST kernel: md(9,5):vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 40595373. Fsck?

Mar 25 02:29:48 BEAST kernel: md(9,5):vs-13070: reiserfs_read_inode2: i/o failure occurred trying to find stat data of [34613 34834 0x0 SD]

Umm, how best to fix this? Kill the directory in Linux or try to fixup the disk? This is my MP3 disk so a "bad thing" would be VERY bad indeed :-\