broken drive but can't replace it? [SOLVED]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I ran another check on the usb stick and again windows said it found and fixed a problem with the usb stick.

Here is a screenshot of the results of the disk check:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8815457/usb_error_22-6-2014.png

I tested copying text files to and from the usb stick in windows and it works fine.

But it's still not possible to write files/data to the usb stick when it's booted up UnRiad:

root@Tower:/boot/logs# touch test-23.log
touch: cannot touch `test-23.log': Read-only file system

Jun 22 21:56:29 Tower init: Re-reading inittab
Jun 22 21:56:30 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sdb1): error, fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 2822999)
Jun 22 21:56:30 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sdb1): Filesystem has been set read-only
Jun 22 21:56:30 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sdb1): error, fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 2822999)
Jun 22 21:56:30 Tower last message repeated 8 times

Hi,

I ran another check on the usb stick and again windows said it found and fixed a problem with the usb stick.

Here is a screenshot of the results of the disk check:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8815457/usb_error_22-6-2014.png

Did you run ChkDsk with the /F option?  (See your screen capture for that recommendation.  You probably have to do it in a command window.) 

If this doesn't fix it, get a new flash drive and send an e-mail to LimeTech and request a new key file because your current drive is defective.  (Even if it is repairable, it may be in the early stages of completely failing anyway.) 

But since your usb key still does not know about your drive replacement, being on v5 does not really help. It's still good to be on v5, and better to be on the latest v5, but you will still have to do a new config.

Since you will be starting from scratch, I think I would leave all of the drives out, and start with a different usb without a license, and create an array with only the newly rebuilt drive, and no parity. This will allow us to verify that the rebuilt drive did in fact get rebuilt.

Then, you can put your original key (assuming it does in fact work, has been repaired, and is writable) in, add the other drives, do New Config and Trust Parity, and then a non-correcting parity check to verify that everything worked.

If you decide to do it this way, take it one step at a time and ask questions.

I have got the new server up and running with the newly built drive.

This is running from a brand new usb stick and I've configured it to have the same IP address as the old machine (which I've left turned off).

The server has two network ports and appears to alternate between them after each reboot.

This means I have to move the cable each time, any ideas why that could be?

Also with regards to creating a new array with only the newly built drive.

I'd just like to confirm the procedure is as follows:

Select the newly built drive as Disk 1 (Disk icon turns blue)

Click start.

Wait for the array to be built.

PS. screen shot of the new server GUI with the newly built drive selected as Disk 1 (but not yet started)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8815457/New%20Unraid%20Server%2003.JPG

Thanks,

Danny

I started the array and confirmed I could see files and checked the playback of some of the videos.

So next steps:

Then, you can put your original key (assuming it does in fact work, has been repaired, and is writable) in, add the other drives, do New Config and Trust Parity, and then a non-correcting parity check to verify that everything worked.

What do you mean by 'do new config'?

Also how complicated would it be to move to using the new usb stick, as I get the feeling the old one is it's on it's last legs!

Thanks,

Danny

Click on Flash on the Main page and it will take you to a page which will show you the GUID of your new flash. You will have to get a new license key file for the new flash drive. Email [email protected] and tell them your flash drive has died and you need a new key and give them the GUID for your new flash.

New Config is in the Utilities tab. It will let you set a new array with all of your drives. There is a checkbox to trust parity which will allow you to skip rebuilding parity.

Hi,

So I've plugged in the drives and arranged them in the same order as on the old server:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8815457/new%20and%20old%20unraid%20-%20comparison%2001.JPG

(New server is on the left and a screenshot of the old config on the right)

However on the new config page I can't see a trust parity check box?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8815457/new%20and%20old%20unraid%20-%20comparison%2001b.JPG

Thanks in advance,

Danny

I had a look there but I can't see the option:
It's not there because you have a conflict with disk 1. You will have to set a new config again, and this time put the drives into the slot you want the first time. All the slots must be blue, and you have a red marker.

Thanks gents. :D

I've got it up and running again.

The parity check found 50 errors, shall I run a correcting parity check now?

Also I noticed the samba folder structure is different.

I can see the drives via smb but not my old folder structure of:

/Video/SD Video

HD Video

/Music

etc

This is the current folder structure:

root@Tower:/mnt# ls -l

total 0

drwxrwx--- 8 nobody users 176 2012-12-06 04:07 disk1/

drwxrwx--- 9 nobody users 216 2013-02-27 09:06 disk2/

drwxrwx--- 9 nobody users 216 2013-02-27 09:06 disk3/

drwxrwx--- 7 nobody users 152 2013-04-02 11:01 disk4/

drwxrwx--- 8 nobody users 192 2013-06-19 13:54 disk5/

root@Tower:/mnt#

Wasn't expecting any parity errors, but 50 is not an entirely unreasonable number. If it was very, very high I would suspect something went wrong somewhere. Does it look like all your files are probably there?

Just searched the thread and I don't see it mentioned that the replacement drive was precleared. Just wondering if we are reasonably sure there is nothing wrong with the replacement drive.