[SOLVED-WORK-AROUND] ReiserFS - kernel panic and stall on CPU

Personally from all the crashes and trouble I've seen people have with using BTRFS, I'd convert to XFS.

I don't doubt that BTRFS will grow into a fine filesystem, but that will take more time. It just doesn't seem to be as mature as XFS.

After reading all of the blogs, reviews, etc... it seems like BTRFS is amazing on paper (as in some people compare it to ZFS but not as mature and/or feature rich) but when it comes down to it, it seems like people are having some weird issues.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go XFS, I really want to use BTRFS myself, but with all the trouble people have reported over the past few months it's not ready to store my important data.

That's more than enough validation for me. This is going to be a long road of syncing, deleting, verifying, etc.. but I'm feeling hopeful that this will resolve all of my "mover / filesystem" issues.

It would be a good time to create those md5 hashes of the whole filesystem too.

Oh good call... I'll add to that my todo list.

Also found out when stopping the array, unraid froze and had a kernel panic on the "syncing filesystem" line.. which means that there's still some underlying issue with a reiser filesystem on one of the disks still.

2 disks converted to XFS, 11 more to go.

So far... everything is looking amazing.

I've been manually copying over 50GB of data to the cache drive and manually running the Mover script. No issues or lockups have occurred.

Bitrot script is running against 15TB of data and so far its gone through 10%.

I'm going to be very optimistic here and say that the issues have been resolved. I'll wait until the bitrot script is finished to change my topic to [sOLVED].

I've been manually copying over 50GB of data to the cache drive and manually running the Mover script. No issues or lockups have occurred.

I'm going to be very optimistic here and say that the issues have been resolved. I'll wait until the bitrot script is finished to change my topic to [sOLVED].

Razorslinky,

Thanks so much for your commitment to sorting this out.  I'd recommend changing the topic to [WORK-AROUND] if bitrot runs fine though.  The problem still exists, and since ReiserFS is the default filesystem, any new users will be plagued by this problem.

Hopefully LimeTech can resolve the problem or prompt the ReiserFS maintainer to resolve it, but if not, this work around should help any that encounter the problem we're having.  Marking it as solved makes it seem like it's no longer an issue, which could result in people not reading the entirety of the post.

Now I have to buy another 3TB drive I guess. 

Razorslinky,

Thanks so much for your commitment to sorting this out.  I'd recommend changing the topic to [WORK-AROUND] if bitrot runs fine though.  The problem still exists, and since ReiserFS is the default filesystem, any new users will be plagued by this problem.

This is no longer true.  With v6 XFS is now the default format.

Hopefully LimeTech can resolve the problem or prompt the ReiserFS maintainer to resolve it, but if not, this work around should help any that encounter the problem we're having.  Marking it as solved makes it seem like it's no longer an issue, which could result in people not reading the entirety of the post.

That is one of the problems - there is no proper maintainer for Reiserfs (the original developer is in prison for murder!).  This is one of the reasons why Reiserfs is no longer seen as a viable format going forward.

Razorslinky,

That is one of the problems - there is no proper maintainer for Reiserfs (the original developer is in prison for murder!).  This is one of the reasons why Reiserfs is no longer seen as a viable format going forward.

I didn't realize that XFS was the default format in v6, but it's still a work around.  Anyone that's been running unRAID (in any stable format) with the same setup as me, or slinky will be bitten by this bug.  I don't know what the new adoption rate for unRAID currently is, but I don't imagine that 100% of the new users are going to default to the beta version.  Since moving to version 6 doesn't change your drives to XFS (and I understand it cannot) if you're running an old version, it's still very much a work around. 

Thanks for the info itimpi, as always, it's appreciated!

Razorslinky,

Now I have to buy another 3TB drive I guess.

I've updated the topic to [WORK-AROUND] for  now. So far, I've been running the Mover script everyday at 7am. I rebooted my server so I had to stop the bitrot script but it was at 25% when I stopped it.

I'm feeling very confident that MY issue has been resolved due to moving the filesystem to XFS.

I would really like to thank EVERYONE for helping and troubleshooting my issue. I know this is not the place for a suggestion but I think that in the future Limetech should get rid of ReiserFS completely. I really don't trust that filesystem after reading about other people having the same issue.

Just wanted to update everyone since moving from ReiserFS to XFS.

It's been a few weeks and everything has been running smoothly. Here's my uptime which is unbelievable for me:

09:17:36 up 8 days,  2:04,  2 users,  load average: 4.27, 4.34, 3.91

I'm officially calling this and will mark this topic as [sOLVED-WORK-AROUND]

Wanted to thank razorslinky and all the others for all the hard work on this.  I've had this issue for a long time and I'm happy to see there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

FYI - I was getting this error with unRAID 5.0.5 and had never gone to 6.0 until yesterday.

I was not getting this error near as often as you but I have started the process of formatting all drives to XFS.

Thank you again!

My post for what it's worth - http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37311.0

It's time to look for commonalities, among all of those users reporting this issue.  Please report:

* motherboard

* RAM and RAM type (ECC or not?)

* CPU

* added disk controllers

* any virtualization features used, Dockers, ESXi, KVM, Xen, VMware, etc

* plugins and addons

* all UnRAID versions where you have experienced this

More may be added as common components are spotted.

Happy to help.  I have a thread in unRAID as guest will all the info and syslog... this thread titled during mover might put some people off.  Mine happens randomly.  Never had it happen during mover though.

My thread - http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37311.0

Case: Norco 4224

Mb: Supermicro x9scl-f-o

CPU: Xeon 3.4Ghz E3-1240v2

RAM: Kingston 32GB ECC

Controller: Intel M1015 (IT Mode)

Expander Card: RES2SV240

ESXi 5.1 - 5.0.5 with Plex Plugin only

ESXi 5.1 - 6.0beta12 with Plex docker only

ESXi 5.5 - 6.0beta12 with Plex docker only

Bold is what ESXi I'm currently running.  Saw the STALL CPU on all 3 versions.

If I think of anything else I'll edit.

Thanks!

Razorslinky,

Just an FYI, there is a maintainer for reiserfs. His name is Jeff Mahoney.

• 7 months later...

Has there been any movement on a fix for this issue in reiserfs? I'm getting the very same difficulty on a bare metai install of 6.0.1 having upgraded from a perfectly working install of 5, and the prospect of up changing filesystem to XFS for 76TB over 22 drives does not sound great. Thank you all!