[SOLVED]Help needed on Win8 passthrough

What versions BIOS are you using?

I'm using the BIOS 4801

Its the latest one. I might contact Asus about if going back a version is possible. Its probably not though.

I wouldn't worry that it's your GPU (that may come later, but hopefully not...LOL), your current problem is certainly related to somehow,someway IOMMU not being on, if that's vt-d on the CPU, MB/BIOS, or whatever else.

Once I am home (unless someone smarter than I chimes in) I will find the better command to run to verify grouping.

However getting nothing back from that first command is already showing the issue you seem to be fighting.

Ya, I was hoping it was just something xml related but obviously not. Theres another i7 here in my house.

I might swap around CPUs and see does it make a difference.

I can at least narrow it down to CPU or MB.

The input that I didn't have with me that I wanted you to input into the prompt/ssh is below.

Copy/paste exactly this (the whole thing):

#!/bin/sh

BASE="/sys/kernel/iommu_groups"

for i in $(find $BASE -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d); do
        GROUP=$(basename $i)
        echo "### Group $GROUP ###"
        for j in $(find $i/devices -type l); do
                DEV=$(basename $j)
                echo -n "    "
                lspci -s $DEV
        done
done

It should then (once vt-d is working) output something pretty like this

### Group 0 ###
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell DRAM Controller (rev 06)
### Group 1 ###
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell PCI Express x16 Controller (re                                                                                                 v 06)
### Group 2 ###
    00:01.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell PCI Express x8 Controller (rev                                                                                                  06)
### Group 3 ###
    00:01.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell PCI Express x4 Controller (rev                                                                                                  06)
### Group 4 ###
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell Integrated Grap                                                                                                 hics Controller (rev 06)
### Group 5 ###
    00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
### Group 6 ###
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI C                                                                                                 ontroller
### Group 7 ###
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family                                                                                                  ME Interface #1
### Group 8 ###
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I218-                                                                                                 V
### Group 9 ###
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI C                                                                                                 ontroller #2
### Group 10 ###
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Con                                                                                                 troller
### Group 11 ###
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Ro                                                                                                 ot Port 1 (rev d0)
### Group 12 ###
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Ro                                                                                                 ot Port 4 (rev d0)
### Group 13 ###
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Ro                                                                                                 ot Port 5 (rev d0)
### Group 14 ###
    00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Ro                                                                                                 ot Port 7 (rev d0)
### Group 15 ###
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI C                                                                                                 ontroller #1
### Group 16 ###
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family Z97 LPC Contro                                                                                                 ller
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SATA Cont                                                                                                 roller [AHCI Mode]
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
### Group 17 ###
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Pa                                                                                                 rk [Mobility Radeon HD 5430]
    01:00.1 Audio device: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Cedar HDMI Audi                                                                                                 o [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]
### Group 18 ###
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (r                                                                                                 ev a2)
    02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (r                                                                                                 ev a1)
### Group 19 ###
    03:00.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec Serial ATA II RAID 1430SA (rev 02)
### Group 20 ###
    05:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controll                                                                                                 er (rev 02)
### Group 21 ###
    06:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Micronas Semiconductor Holding AG nGene                                                                                                  PCI-Express Multimedia Controller
### Group 22 ###
    07:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042A USB 3.0 Host Contro                                                                                                 ller

Something of note that I had to learn the hard way prior to the inclusion of the pcie_acs_override=downstream flag in the kernel. You have to pass everything within a IOMMU group in order for it to work. So if for whatever reason you have 2 devices in one group (a GPU/audio chip is certainly an example, but more like that plus a NIC as an example) you have to pass all of them to the VM for it to work.

The input that I didn't have with me that I wanted you to input into the prompt/ssh is below.

Copy/paste exactly this (the whole thing):

#!/bin/sh

BASE="/sys/kernel/iommu_groups"

for i in $(find $BASE -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d); do
        GROUP=$(basename $i)
        echo "### Group $GROUP ###"
        for j in $(find $i/devices -type l); do
                DEV=$(basename $j)
                echo -n "    "
                lspci -s $DEV
        done
done

Something of note that I had to learn the hard way prior to the inclusion of the pcie_acs_override=downstream flag in the kernel. You have to pass everything within a IOMMU group in order for it to work. So if for whatever reason you have 2 devices in one group (a GPU/audio chip is certainly an example, but more like that plus a NIC as an example) you have to pass all of them to the VM for it to work.

Thanks for that bungee

I have tried and and I got a result!!!

Is this pretty enough  :)

### Group 0 ###
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 DMI2 (rev 07)
### Group 1 ###
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 IIO PCI Express Root P                                                                  ort 1a (rev 07)
### Group 2 ###
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 IIO PCI Express Root P                                                                  ort 2a (rev 07)
### Group 3 ###
    00:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 IIO PCI Express Root P                                                                  ort 3a in PCI Express Mode (rev 07)
### Group 4 ###
    00:05.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Address Map, VT                                                                  d_Misc, System Management (rev 07)
    00:05.2 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Control Status                                                                   and Global Errors (rev 07)
    00:05.4 PIC: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 I/O APIC (rev 07)
### Group 5 ###
    00:11.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Vi                                                                  rtual Root Port (rev 05)
### Group 6 ###
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset                                                                   MEI Controller #1 (rev 05)
### Group 7 ###
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connec                                                                  tion (rev 05)
### Group 8 ###
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset USB2 Enhan                                                                  ced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
### Group 9 ###
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset High Definit                                                                  ion Audio Controller (rev 05)
### Group 10 ###
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Ro                                                                  ot Port 1 (rev b5)
### Group 11 ###
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Ro                                                                  ot Port 2 (rev b5)
### Group 12 ###
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Ro                                                                  ot Port 3 (rev b5)
### Group 13 ###
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Ro                                                                  ot Port 4 (rev b5)
### Group 14 ###
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Ro                                                                  ot Port 5 (rev b5)
### Group 15 ###
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Ro                                                                  ot Port 6 (rev b5)
### Group 16 ###
    00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Ro                                                                  ot Port 8 (rev b5)
### Group 17 ###
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset USB2 Enhan                                                                  ced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
### Group 18 ###
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a5)
### Group 19 ###
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset LPC Controller                                                                   (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset 6-Port SA                                                                  TA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset SMBus Host Controll                                                                  er (rev 05)
### Group 20 ###
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RV                                                                  770 [Radeon HD 4850]
    01:00.1 Audio device: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RV770 HDMI Audi                                                                  o [Radeon HD 4850/4870]
### Group 21 ###
    06:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host                                                                   Controller
### Group 22 ###
    07:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host                                                                   Controller
### Group 23 ###
    08:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host                                                                   Controller
### Group 24 ###
    09:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controll                                                                  er (rev 01)
### Group 25 ###
    0a:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6315 Series Firewire                                                                   Controller (rev 01)
### Group 26 ###
    0b:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9128 PCIe SATA 6                                                                   Gb/s RAID controller with HyperDuo (rev 11)
### Group 27 ###
    ff:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 QPI Link 0 (rev                                                                   07)
    ff:08.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 QPI Link Reut 0                                                                   (rev 07)
    ff:08.4 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 QPI Link Reut 0                                                                   (rev 07)
### Group 28 ###
    ff:09.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 QPI Link 1 (rev                                                                   07)
    ff:09.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 QPI Link Reut 1                                                                   (rev 07)
    ff:09.4 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 QPI Link Reut 1                                                                   (rev 07)
### Group 29 ###
    ff:0a.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Power Control U                                                                  nit 0 (rev 07)
    ff:0a.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Power Control U                                                                  nit 1 (rev 07)
    ff:0a.2 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Power Control U                                                                  nit 2 (rev 07)
    ff:0a.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Power Control U                                                                  nit 3 (rev 07)
### Group 30 ###
    ff:0b.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Interrupt Contr                                                                  ol Registers (rev 07)
    ff:0b.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Semaphore and S                                                                  cratchpad Configuration Registers (rev 07)
### Group 31 ###
    ff:0c.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Unicast Registe                                                                  r 0 (rev 07)
    ff:0c.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Unicast Registe                                                                  r 0 (rev 07)
    ff:0c.2 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Unicast Registe                                                                  r 0 (rev 07)
    ff:0c.6 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller System Address Decoder 0 (rev 07)
    ff:0c.7 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 System Address                                                                   Decoder (rev 07)
### Group 32 ###
    ff:0d.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Unicast Registe                                                                  r 0 (rev 07)
    ff:0d.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Unicast Registe                                                                  r 0 (rev 07)
    ff:0d.2 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Unicast Registe                                                                  r 0 (rev 07)
    ff:0d.6 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller System Address Decoder 1 (rev 07)
### Group 33 ###
    ff:0e.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Processor Home                                                                   Agent (rev 07)
    ff:0e.1 Performance counters: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Processor Ho                                                                  me Agent Performance Monitoring (rev 07)
### Group 34 ###
    ff:0f.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller Registers (rev 07)
    ff:0f.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller RAS Registers (rev 07)
    ff:0f.2 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller Target Address Decoder 0 (rev 07)
    ff:0f.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller Target Address Decoder 1 (rev 07)
    ff:0f.4 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller Target Address Decoder 2 (rev 07)
    ff:0f.5 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller Target Address Decoder 3 (rev 07)
    ff:0f.6 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller Target Address Decoder 4 (rev 07)
### Group 35 ###
    ff:10.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller Channel 0-3 Thermal Control 0 (rev 07)
    ff:10.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller Channel 0-3 Thermal Control 1 (rev 07)
    ff:10.2 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller ERROR Registers 0 (rev 07)
    ff:10.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller ERROR Registers 1 (rev 07)
    ff:10.4 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller Channel 0-3 Thermal Control 2 (rev 07)
    ff:10.5 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller Channel 0-3 Thermal Control 3 (rev 07)
    ff:10.6 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller ERROR Registers 2 (rev 07)
    ff:10.7 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Integrated Memo                                                                  ry Controller ERROR Registers 3 (rev 07)
### Group 36 ###
    ff:11.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 DDRIO (rev 07)
### Group 37 ###
    ff:13.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 R2PCIe (rev 07)
    ff:13.1 Performance counters: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Ring to PCI                                                                   Express Performance Monitor (rev 07)
    ff:13.4 Performance counters: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 QuickPath In                                                                  terconnect Agent Ring Registers (rev 07)
    ff:13.5 Performance counters: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Ring to Quic                                                                  kPath Interconnect Link 0 Performance Monitor (rev 07)
    ff:13.6 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Ring to QuickPa                                                                  th Interconnect Link 1 Performance Monitor (rev 07)

I saw some option in my Bios that was not there before. I cant remember exactly what it was but I enabled it and it looked

like VT-d was enabled

When I went to Tower/Main my parity drive was not connected. I shutdown and made sure everything was ok and when I powered up again I ran the script and there was no result

It looks to be due to the bios but I dont know why one minute it will show me certain options and the next there gone

It looks like when VT-d is enabled unRaid cannot access my parity and cache as there on a Marvell PCIe 9128 controller :

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port.

Well, its a start to the fix anyway.

At least I know VT-d is possible with my CPU, even though the bios is buggy as hell.

For now is my best option get a 2 port sata controller? I cant think of any other solution

I have a spare 2tb drive in my array so i'll take it out tmro and put my cache with the VM's on it in its place and fire it up

I got it working!!!! (thank to everyones help)

I'm currently looking at Win 8.1 on my tv. The resolution is a bit off. Its at the Recommended 1920x1080 but the image

is slightly too big for the screen. Then if I go down a resolution its too small. Oh well

I had to remove my cache and parity drive from the controller they were on, Marvell PCIe 9128 controller

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port. Seems like I have 2 wasted SATA ports now.

Or can something be done with them to get them play nicely?.

It seems when I was making changes in the BIOS with the drives it was turning off VT-d.

I am able to stop and start the VM with no crashing and its really fast.

Sound is not working correctly though. If I go to test it, it will work for a second and then give me error

that the device is in use. The only way to hear it again is after a reboot.

I might start uninstalling updates as Ive read it might be the cause.

Should I be able to install my motherboard utilities/drivers because when I try they fail.

Also, should I try to install catalyst control or is there any need?.

I should probably start a new thread for "Life After Passthough - What should a n00b do next "

Here is my working xml anyway

<domain type='kvm' id='5' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>win8passthrough</name>
  <uuid>75d59834-fafe-4426-9549-5b3f0b65609f</uuid>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
    <locked/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.1'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    <bootmenu enable='no'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough'>
    <topology sockets='2' cores='2' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='localtime'/>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='none' io='native'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/images/win8/win8pass.qcow2'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='vdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <alias name='virtio-disk2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/images/win8/windows8pro(1).iso'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='sata'/>
      <readonly/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-0'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/images/win7/virtio-win.iso'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <readonly/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-3'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <alias name='usb0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <alias name='usb0'/>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <alias name='usb0'/>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <alias name='usb0'/>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <alias name='sata0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'>
      <alias name='pcie.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='dmi-to-pci-bridge'>
      <alias name='pci.1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1e' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pci-bridge'>
      <alias name='pci.2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:99:f5:fc'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0xc52b'/>
        <address bus='1' device='3'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='none' model='none'/>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=pcie.0'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

EDIT: Audio is now working. Dont know how, dont care either  8)

Fantastic news!

You're not alone with the Marvell issue when enabling vt-d, do a quick search for it and you'll find it.

It has to do with an issue regarding proper addressing or something like that.

You're getting closer, I'm glad I could be of some help.

Ya, that script of yours put me back in the fighting spirit to find out what was happening :D.

I was ready to pack in in for the night until I saw it run.

I'll do some reading on the controller tomorrow.

Is it usually possible to get around the controllers by flashing or is it hit or miss do you know?

Thanks alot for the help

I'm currently looking at Win 8.1 on my tv. The resolution is a bit off. Its at the Recommended 1920x1080 but the image

is slightly too big for the screen. Then if I go down a resolution its too small. Oh well

This is an overscan issue.  You can fix it by installing your graphic card's drivers and changing the overscan in the advanced settings.

I had to remove my cache and parity drive from the controller they were on, Marvell PCIe 9128 controller

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port. Seems like I have 2 wasted SATA ports now.

Or can something be done with them to get them play nicely?.

Not from what I've seen.  Marvell is a PITA, and only some chipsets work.  So many troubles I ended up buying a new motherboard with enough Sata ports that didn't utilize the Marvell chipset at all.  I realize this isn't a feasible solution for everyone.  You may want to look at Sata controller cards. Compatible cards.  I did buy a SYBA SI-PEX40071, but I haven't had a chance to install it as I'm doing a major data migration currently.

Should I be able to install my motherboard utilities/drivers because when I try they fail.

Since this is a VM, it's not really seeing your motherboard hardware so you won't be able to install chipset drivers and whatnot.  Use the vfio drivers and windows update for your exclamation point devices in device manager (except for hardware passthrough items like USB or discrete graphics card (which also probably contains your audio, if you passed that through as well).

Also, should I try to install catalyst control or is there any need?.

You should install Catalyst Control Center, as this will give you access to the Overscan settings, and better graphics card performance. 

Thanks for the info.

My graphics card is ancient. It an ASUS EAH4850 TOP / HTDI / 512M (Radeon HD 4850 / PCI-E 2.0 x16).

I got it from a friend. I'm having issues installing CCC with it.

Well I can install CCC but when I try to run it I get

"CCC  cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using CCC"

When I run the auto detect and install program from AMD I get

"We were unable to find your product or OS"

It could be that they no longer support my legacy device.

I had an Asus EAH4850 that I really liked for a long time.  I'm rocking a Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 now, though.  I'd recommend downloading your drivers from Asus website instead of AMD.  I had major sound issues with my Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 until I got the drivers from Sapphire instead of AMD.

How is your Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 holding up. Did you have any issue updating it inside a VM?

Do you use it for media, gaming or both?

I downloaded drivers from Asus and they all install but will not run.

Smart Doctor for example says "Can not find graphics card info".

Asus Itracker says "Can not find support card"

CCC says "CCC cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using CCC"

I have tried both the release and the beta on that page and get the same error:

"CCC cannto be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using CCC"

I'm not sure what the problem is.

I like it. It works great for gaming.  I have some HDCP issues with my machine for Windows Media Center, though, that I'm not sure is card, driver, or something else related.  It has worked great for me with hardware passthrough.  No issues installing and running the drivers, nor any issues through rebooting.  I did have some issues with Windows 7 where the HDMI audio would only output through stereo, and that was the driver issue I was mentioning where I had to use a specific legacy driver from Sapphire to get 7.1 sound. 

If I were to get a new card, I'd stick with AMD, but would probably get a different model.  Sapphire seems like a reliable brand.