MOVER don't MOVE

hellboy

I don't see the "MOVER" moving anything... :'(

its set for 8:00 PM on every day.

UnRaid will not wake up to move those files from the cache drive.

If the server is up, still those file don't get move.

The only way is for me to move them manually.

Is that is the way it suppose to work?

Mmmm I probably I'm the only one having this small inconvenience.

i check the forum,but and i don't see anything.

After all, I like UnRaid and DYNAMIX...great!! 8)

sorry if a made this too long.

but would like to get this to work.! if not...well manually will do for now.

//hellboy

I would suggest that you include a syslog covering a period where mover is meant to be running.

Have you tried starting mover manually via the Settings->Shares tab?

manually is the only way that it work.

Aaaa I don't going to let that get to me,it will be done manually....and move on.

Thanks..

//hellboy

Still cannot tell from your posts whether you mean you move the files manually, or whether you mean mover works if you start it manually and it is the scheduled auto run of mover that does not work?

Mover certainly works fine for others so not sure what your problem might be.

Hi  itimpi,

The scheduled auto run mover do not work.

Its set for 8:00 pm.

The only way to get mover to work is manually.

And if the server is sleep...the same.

Thanks

//hellboy

IMHO, mover is a problem waiting to happen.  There are some files you can copy direct to the array but mover will never copy them (it's a few years since I used it, might be directories starting with a period), it's anything but plug and play.  I used to use it but after a few failures found it easier not to use it and copy directly to the array instead, at least you don't have to go back the next day and check whether it worked.

There is one big plus for mover though, as your target array disk starts to get full, because it's a copy within the system, you don't get windows timeouts due to the ReiserFS implementation on unRAID which can take over a minute to create a new directory on a nearly full 6TB drive.

IMHO, mover is a problem waiting to happen.  There are some files you can copy direct to the array but mover will never copy them (it's a few years since I used it, might be directories starting with a period), it's anything but plug and play.  I used to use it but after a few failures found it easier not to use it and copy directly to the array instead, at least you don't have to go back the next day and check whether it worked.

There is one big plus for mover though, as your target array disk starts to get full, because it's a copy within the system, you don't get windows timeouts due to the ReiserFS implementation on unRAID which can take over a minute to create a new directory on a nearly full 6TB drive.

Mover works out of the box.. folders and files starting with a dot are unix hidden files and are indeed not moved, this is intended behaviour and can even be nice if you -want- some files to remain on your cache drive (people still use that for apps even though there is a better solution now with a "cache only share".

The error message of the OP is not very clear but I -think- that he means that manually starting the mover makes the mover work. That means the mover process works and the issue is with it getting started. The OP also makes a mention of his server beiing "asleep". Having a server "asleep" (I guess S3?) is not standard unraid behaviour and when the server sleeps the mover will not start. The solution would be to prevent the server going to sleep. If the OP wants to put his server to sleep he needs to find a way to start the mover when the system starts up..

Mover works out of the box.. folders and files starting with a dot are unix hidden files and are indeed not moved, this is intended behaviour and can even be nice if you -want- some files to remain on your cache drive (people still use that for apps even though there is a better solution now with a "cache only share".

The error message of the OP is not very clear but I -think- that he means that manually starting the mover makes the mover work. That means the mover process works and the issue is with it getting started. The OP also makes a mention of his server beiing "asleep". Having a server "asleep" (I guess S3?) is not standard unraid behaviour and when the server sleeps the mover will not start. The solution would be to prevent the server going to sleep. If the OP wants to put his server to sleep he needs to find a way to start the mover when the system starts up..

The problem with files starting with a period, is they are not only unix hidden files.  There are a lot of posts on this forum from people using Ember Media Manager.  EMM creates a lot of folders called .Actors with thumbnails in, and this causes incredible problems with mover.  IMHO, mover should move anything you can move manually, no more, no less.  I stopped using it because it doesn't move everything I put on the cache drive.

I try to delete all the .actors sub-directories before I copy to my array, they just hold thumbnails of actors images (EMM gets them from the net if the folder isn't present).  Unfortunately, I'm even less reliable than mover at remembering to delete them all.

I haven't found a way to stop EMM from downloading them on the latest release and disabling actor thumbs in EMM's settings doesn't seem to work.

I do my scraping on my download machine and then copy finished files/folders onto the unRAID array.  EMM is only reading/scanning the catalogue files from the array.  I don't use a cache drive anymore, although if Logitech Media Server will now allow navigation of the music folder (I prefer to organise my music myself), I would be interested in running that on unRAID.  I installed it years ago on a Thecus NAS box and it only allowed access via albums/artists/songs etc, which I never use.  My music collection is too big to be catalogued properly by machine, I do it manually.