How do I go back to completely, totally stock unRAID?

JustinChase

I'm sick and tired of having one weird issue after another.  I'm not getting much help in resolving these weird issues, so I'm going to do the best I can to eliminate everything but unRAID itself.

I know I can just download the latest version and install it on a flash drive, and install from scratch, and will probably just do that.

But, what do i need to do to get all my 'stuff' back to usable in unRAID?  Do I need to manually re-create all my shares by hand, or will unRAID see the directories and 'do it for me'?

I assume that when I start over, I will approach it somewhat like a new config; and just assign all the drives to the same slots as before, but what else do i need to watch out for?  i don't want to lose all my files, if I can help it.

Do I need to assign all the drives to the same slots, or do I just need to make sure I assign the parity to the parity slot, and the others don't really matter that much?

Anything else I should be aware of before doing this?

Thanks in advance.

I have VM's, dockers, syslinux tweaks, and other stuff.  I may/probably even have stuff I don't remember changing.

So, if I can just 'start over' from scratch, at least I'll know what i've changed, and can/will keep copies of all files before any changes, so I can track what's changed.

Yes!

I would first make a copy of all the files on the current USB stick.

If you then wipe the USB stick and start again from scratch.  The only critical file to add will be the license key file.  You can then boot the system and start with in a 'virgin' state.  After that you can assign the data disks to the array (order does not matter) and as it is a new array unRAID recognises them as previously used with unRAID and adds them keeping their data intact.  Once you have started the array you can enable User Shares and every top level folder on the data disks will be turned into a User Share with default settings.

You are then in a good position to start making further changes.  Probably a good idea to keep notes on the changes so you know what you did.

I have VM's, dockers, syslinux tweaks, and other stuff.  I may/probably even have stuff I don't remember changing.

So, if I can just 'start over' from scratch, at least I'll know what i've changed, and can/will keep copies of all files before any changes, so I can track what's changed.

Yes!

I would first make a copy of all the files on the current USB stick.

If you then wipe the USB stick and start again from scratch.  The only critical file to add will be the license key file.  You can then boot the system and start with in a 'virgin' state.  After that you can assign the data disks to the array (order does not matter) and as it is a new array unRAID recognises them as previously used with unRAID and adds them keeping their data intact.  Once you have started the array you can enable User Shares and every top level folder on the data disks will be turned into a User Share with default settings.

You are then in a good position to start making further changes.  Probably a good idea to keep notes on the changes so you know what you did.

Excellent, just what I was hoping to hear.

Sadly, it's already off to a bad start :(

I copied all files from flash, unzipped freshly downloaded v6b10a to the zip, made bootable, started up the array, then realized i don't have a local copy of the array screenshot, to know which is the parity drive :( :( :(

So, I put the old files back on the drive, rebooted, and it shows 2 red-balled/missing drives.

Sometimes I just want to kick a kitty  >:(

I think the fates want me to sell everything and give up on having a large server.

First, the thing that's gotten me so frustrated today is that when I reboot the server, I have no internet access.  I've tried swapping cables, swapping ports in the router, and in the server.  I ended up having to turn off NIC1 and enable NIC2 on the motherboard before I could get any network service.

Now, the 2 red-balled drives are plugged into 2 SATA ports, one on top of the other.  I've unplugged and re-plugged the cables twice, and one of them is one of the security cables, that clips into place, so I suspect the sata ports are bad now.

I really, REALLY, REALLY don't want to replace the motherboard on this thing.

I'm exhausted with fighting it; I really am.  I've not gone more than 2 days without problems for 3 months now.

:-\

Unfortunately, I'm about to go back to 5.05.  I'm getting red balls on good drives when they are hooked up to my Marvel based AOC-SAS2LP (defect report filed) under 6.0-beta10a.  Check your smart reports, are the drives in trouble?

Are you running on Xen or non-Xen boot?  I had issues under non-Xen, but under Xen, I have been running without issue for weeks..

Archived